Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mushrooms

Originally posted by tutusue
    Interesting. I'd not heard of lobster mushrooms before. It's a parasitic mold. So, Paul, do they, ummm, make you even funnier than you already are?
    I just ate a bunch right now and am experiencing no side-effdkl; aq34irfnm,as nmdslkfnalierfakds; al;dksjfena1 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Comment

Hmmm, hence his nickname, "Mental Oriental."

That was funny!

I wish I could have voted for more that one variety because I'm DEFINITELY a 'shroom fan.

Sauteed in butter and garlic and maybe just maybe a splash of white wine or something stronger ... wow.

My first memory of loving mushrooms were the little, canned button mushrooms my mom would put in her spaghetti sauce. I'd go digging through my plate to find 'em and eat 'em first. Which was joyous, until it left my plate with no more to enjoy as I ate the spaghetti.

Being Japanese, Mom also used shiitake mushrooms in many dishes I ate growing up ... so I love those. Certain dishes just aren't the same without shiitakes and some of the reserved soaking water.

Fresh white mushrooms are wonderful in salads ... and the first time I ate stuffed mushrooms I HAD to replicate the recipe at home using those big, broiler mushrooms. Gosh it's been awhile since I've made that dish.

Enoki mushrooms are nice in salads but they can also be sauteed briefly and are wonderfully delicate! Yum.

Portobellos are definitely among my faves, drizzled with garlic-infused olive oil, sprinkled with S & P and grilled; served in a burger topped with melted cheese ... I've not met one I haven't loved.

There are many varieties I'd love to try ... but either they're a little pricey or I can't find 'em ... you know, the exotic ones you see on Food Network.

I LOVE them shroomies. Pomai, your shroom-p0rn made me salivate ... but then again, your food-p0rn always does.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Anyone choose "Other Not listed" because they prefer the psychotropic kine?
        (Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, remember...allergic-boy speaking here...I did my share of "experimentation" decades ago, but never with 'shrooms.)
        Menehune hasn't found this thread yet

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
          Pomai, your shroom-p0rn made me salivate ... but then again, your food-p0rn always does.
          Then my new Triangle Musubi Avatar must be rated triple XXX then. Such a sexy couple.

I also like Portobello, but usually I scrape the gills from under the cap, as it has too much of an earthy, dirty flavor to it. That can be challenge though, as the spoon can easily break up the flesh of the cap.

One way I prepare Portobello is by cutting it into strips and sautee it with yellow, red and green bell peppers, garlic, thyme and basil, with just a few pieces of Italian Sausage for added flavor. Put all that on a plate of hot fetuccini.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
            I just ate a bunch right now and am experiencing no side-effdkl; aq34irfnm,as nmdslkfnalierfakds; al;dksjfena1 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
            has anyone heard from Mr. Ogata?

Hope he's not dead at the kitchen table!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              has anyone heard from Mr. Ogata?

Hope he's not dead at the kitchen table!
              Nah. Heʻs probably still trippinʻ at some 24 hour "rave" club in LA with his lobster orange colored glow sticks.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                One way I prepare Portobello is by cutting it into strips and sautee it with yellow, red and green bell peppers, garlic, thyme and basil, with just a few pieces of Italian Sausage for added flavor. Put all that on a plate of hot fetuccini.
                I have not tried portobellos yet, mostly just to lazy to figure what to do wit um- but dam, Pomai...that sounds mighty tasty!!

Btw, I looked in at the Tasty Island last night.. bad mistake at 1200am , since it made me soooo hungry, and nothing open (Zippys dont count) on the windward side.

Impressive!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Anyone choose "Other Not listed" because they prefer the psychotropic kine?
                (Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, remember...allergic-boy speaking here...I did my share of "experimentation" decades ago, but never with 'shrooms.)

Tried them, wasnt impressed - acid was soo much more fun
                sigh... I had such a twisted time growing up here in the late 70s - 80s...
                Thank God I finally grew up
                Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; September 3, 2006, 06:15 PM.
                It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

So Costco was recently giving out samples of these Shiitake Slices, simmered in Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce. Well, one try and I was sold! It's amazing how fresh these dehydrated mushrooms taste after they're reconstituted in hot water. You simply steep them in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain well and put in sauce pan with Yoshida's sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes to let the flavor penetrate into the mushrooms. Sugoi oishiii desu!

I find these Shiitake to have a less earthy - more meaty flavor than Portobello, with a slightly more chewy, yet still tender texture. Definately great if you're vegetarian. The package says Shiitake have 0 fat, are rich in anti-oxidants and fiber and include 8 essential amino acids, vitamin B complex and niacin.

So I sautéed some up the other night with butter (margarine actually) and garlic and topped a Teddy's Burger with it. Oh man! Shiitake Mushroom Burger.. what a concept! The chewy-meatiness of the Shiitake added almost a 3rd dimension to the grilled beef patty. Maybe a little too bold than some might like, but I thought it tasted great.

Darned those food samples almost always sell me. lol

Shiitake Mushroom Slices - the whiter ones on the left are in dehydrated form, on the right have been reconstituted in hot water.

16 oz. (1 lb.) - $10.99
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Portobellos are also excellent grilled, where they can substitute for a hamburger patty. Top with roasted red peppers, onion slices, lettuce and put between a whole wheat hamburger bun with a little mayo, it's onolicious.

I use reconstituted shiitake mushrooms when I make katsu donburi, too. I just plop a couple into chicken stock and let them plump up, then I take them out and slice them and put them back into the stock, add some beaten egg and cook the eggs until soft, add a few green onion slivers and pour over a bowl of hot rice which has slices of tonkatsu on it...another quick, ono meal.

Did you know that brown button mushrooms (crimini) are just baby Portobellos?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I almost always use dried shiitake mushrooms (I always put 'em on my burgers, sukiyaki...oh just about anything really). They're just easy to store and pretty reasonable, I think.

My husband loves Portobello Mushroom Fries. I think they're just ok, but he l-o-v-e-s them.

I've always wanted to go mushroom hunting. Not just randomly, but with someone who knows what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        Portobellos are also excellent grilled, where they can substitute for a hamburger patty. Top with roasted red peppers, onion slices, lettuce and put between a whole wheat hamburger bun with a little mayo, it's onolicious.

Miulang
                        My family loves these too...we mix crushed garlic & olive oil and brush it on. Some black pepper and it's off to the grill, medium heat...ono. And I'll second you on the whole wheat bun.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                          I've always enjoyed Shiitakes for their intense, earthy flavor...
                          So do I!!!!

Shiitakes are my favorite mushrooms. I love to add them to my Chicken Long Rice! But mostly, I love to eat the dried ones right out of the package!
                          Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
                            Shiitakes are my favorite mushrooms. I love to add them to my Chicken Long Rice! But mostly, I love to eat the dried ones right out of the package!
                            Eat them dry huh? O.K., I had to take you up on that and try it.

Yuck! It's not only dry, but just weird. Plus, there's no seasoning (bland). It still tastes like Shiitake, but in a leathery, almost non-edible way. I was suprised that it was actually chewable. Thought it would have the consistency of a Dog's Pig Ear treat (not that I've ever tried that!). But hey, to each's own I guess.

Hmmm. Shiitake in Chicken Long Rice huh? Never tried that but it sounds ono! Maybe I should try make Shiitake Luau as a variant to "Squid" Luau.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I think porcini mushrooms are my favorite

Comment

Fresh shiitake have a nice woody favor. I like mushrooms in pasta sauce.
                                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X