Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushrooms

I love mushrooms....

Doesn't seem to matter what kind... a little garlic and salt and Sautee... they are all good.
    Did you know they actually have a Mushroom council?
    http://www.mushroomcouncil.org/
    So what's your favorite?

I'm just putting in the options that were on the website.
    White Mushrooms
    16.67%
    Crimini Mushrooms
    16.67%
    Portabella Mushrooms
    16.67%
    Oyster Mushrooms
    5.56%
    Shiitake Mushrooms
    22.22%
    Enoki Mushrooms
    5.56%
    Beech Mushrooms
    0.00%
    Maitake Mushrooms
    0.00%
    Other Not listed.
    16.67%
    Last edited by damontucker; August 29, 2006, 09:25 PM.

Re: Mushrooms

I like plain white mushrooms , if they are hard and fresh ,best - like you said garlic ( but plenty!) and salt and a good quality real butter.....

Brok da mout!

hehe, I usully try to eat something like broiled Mahi when I am at work , to stay away from the meat and whatnot...but always end up covering the mahi in a solid layer of mushrooms sauteed in real butter and a load of garlic. Oh well, so much for healthy!

I have actually not had the chance to try portabellos, but have tried most of the others.
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

I LOOOOOOOVE mushrooms...all kinds of mushrooms. Well, not ALL kinds! Portabellos are my favorite, tho'...
      stuffed with crab salad
      as a base for pizza toppings
      portabello burgers
      marinated and grilled
      as a meat substitute
      sliced and sauteed in, yes, butter and garlic
      drizzled in hot fudge with a dollop of whipped cream (nah...j/k!)

Dang...now I'm hungry!

Comment

I've always enjoyed shiitakes for their intense, earthy flavor...they go well in the vegetable chow meins I enjoy on occasion. One mushroom-related wild food I used to enjoy from Hawaii was pepeiao. It was fun searching for them in the forest reserves with my kupuna...they always knew where to find them.

Comment

baby ones cooked in butter yummy
          *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
          http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Once again, as with the cheese poll, I gotta say all of the above--but again it's not one of the options!

Comment

Cremini musrooms sauteed with garlic, olive oil, dried basil, garlic salt, grated parmesan and red wine, served over filet mignon cooked on the bbq with garlic salt and red wine poured over top while cooking...medium well.

ono ono ono :-P
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Allergic to 'em, so I gotta vote "none of the above."

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                  Cremini musrooms sauteed with garlic, olive oil, dried basil, garlic salt, grated parmesan and red wine, served over filet mignon cooked on the bbq with garlic salt and red wine poured over top while cooking...medium well.

ono ono ono
                  Oh yeah! Sounds like a plan for the Labor Day weekend!

F-Y-I, a Crimini is basically a "baby" Portobello. Crimini has a similar texture and size to whites, but are "meatier" and just have more flavor. Tropics and Marukai in Ward Farmers' Market bring them in now and then at really good prices. Marukai also occasionally imports some exotic Japanese varieties that sell for like $100/lb., no joke.

Basic whites are great too, and my choice for using on a swiss 'n 'shroom burger.

Here's an ala carte mushroom dish we ordered recently at the Hyatt Waikiki's Colony restaurant (no, the Orchid isn't a mushroom)...

Mushroom Ragout: Portobello and Button Mushrooms (there's also another variety in there) infused with Garlic, Chardonnay Wine and Molokai Thyme

Mushrooms so rock.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    [...]Mushroom Ragout: Portobello and Button Mushrooms (there's also another variety in there) infused with Garlic, Chardonnay Wine and Molokai Thyme[...]
                    Oh my God!!! That's nirvana!

Comment

Look like some skinny enoki mushrooms in there.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Big City Diner makes a fantastic Portobello burger!

Comment

Lobster mushrooms are great! I have found them dried, but would like to try them fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
                            Lobster mushrooms are great! I have found them dried, but would like to try them fresh.
                            Interesting. I'd not heard of lobster mushrooms before. It's a parasitic mold. So, Paul, do they, ummm, make you even funnier than you already are?

Comment

Anyone choose "Other Not listed" because they prefer the psychotropic kine?
                              (Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, remember...allergic-boy speaking here...I did my share of "experimentation" decades ago, but never with 'shrooms.)

Comment

Working...
                              X