This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Akaka vs. Case Debate: Live Thread

In this morning's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/01/news/story01.html

Akaka vs. Case: Candidates square off in their only debate
    Immediate focus is on issue of age
    Case urges a young leader to provide transition; Akaka touts his experience
    By Richard Borreca

U.S. Rep. Ed Case called for a "choice between the past and the future," and U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka asked voters to pick "legislators who have character and a belief in strong values."

Because the debate was sponsored by AARP, several questions, posed by Gerald Kato, chairman of the University of Hawaii School of Communications, were framed to be of interest to seniors.

Skip Lambert of Kapahulu, retired restaurant manager, works in the Case campaign. After calling voters for the last few weeks, Lambert says he has seen the number of undecided voters shrinking.

"This debate should clarify it for those people," Lambert said.

No need go any further in discussing what happened last night. PZ gave an excellent assesment on the Debate. Too bad there won't be anymore Debates like the one last night. I'm sure if there were, both Candidates would be more comfortable the next time. Debates gives us a better understanding on where the Candidates stands on Issues...coming out of their mouth and not out of a spokesperson. It also gives us an idea of the person themselves. Their personality, their strengths, their weakness, their humbleness, etc.

Disapponted last night? Yes. I expected a bit more of a fiesty Debate.

Also, in The Honolulu Advertiser: Advantage: Case
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS05/609010318

"Although it may take several days for the impact of the debate to be felt by the campaigns, the instant reaction last night from some political analysts was that while both men seemed prepared, Case was more detailed and effective in answering questions."

At 5:55 a.m. KITV4 News Poll
    Case 172 Votes 52%
    Akaka 148 Votes 45%
    It was a tie 12 Votes 4%

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 1, 2006, 05:59 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

KITV poll, at 9:30am, Case 56% to Akaka 41%.
      Akaka couldn't answer a single thing without reading verbatim from prepared notes. His Medicare answer was pathetic and pitiable. Very nice man, and I thank him for his decades of public service but respectfully ask that he admit his time is past and his mind has slowed with age, and step aside. Retire gracefully.
      I was undecided before the debate. Still don't think Case is exactly the person I want in the Senate, but still prefer him over Akaka.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Still don't think Case is exactly the person I want in the Senate, but still prefer him over Akaka.
        I get the feeling, from reading this and the other related thread, that there are many of you who feel something akin to this. This may be one of those "choosing the evil of two lessers" elections.

Comment

Yeah, Leo. That's about right.
          And I forgot to mention that Akaka looked better than Case. Nicer shirt and much nicer tie. Case's mommy dresses him funny.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Some more commentary and critiques in this mid-day Star-Bulletin update:
            Ira Rohter, University of Hawaii political scientist, also said Akaka seemed “past his prime.” “He usually had his head down, having to read from prepared notes, and answered usually in generalities rather than specifics. I was surprised that he failed to mention bills that he had a role in passing during his long career first as congressman, then senator,” Rohter said. Political observer and University of Hawaii political scientist Neal Milner said he found himself “wincing with sympathy” at Akaka’s performance.
            And I forgot to highlight this excellent audio commentary recorded less than an hour after the debate's end over at HawaiiElectionWatch.org.

Comment

KHNL NBC 8 HOME News 4:50 p.m.
              Poll 8 Interactive
              Who do you think did a better job in Thursday night's debate?
              Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far.
              Senator Daniel Akaka 19%
              Representative Ed Case 81%
              Akaka and Case Meet In TV Debate
              http://www.khnl.com/?pass=1#poll55499

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                KHNL NBC 8 HOME News 4:50 p.m.
                Poll 8 Interactive
                Who do you think did a better job in Thursday night's debate?
                Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far.
                Senator Daniel Akaka 19%
                Representative Ed Case 81%
                Akaka and Case Meet In TV Debate
                http://www.khnl.com/?pass=1#poll55499

Auntie Lynn
                that's a very staggering figure...how many votes turned in?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  that's a very staggering figure...how many votes turned in?
                  They don't show how many people Vote. I also checked KITV regarding how often a person can Vote. It's not like how we have on HT where we can only Vote once. On both sites you can vote multiple times so I wouldn't go by the Polls ~ and I'm an Ed Case supporter.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Most online polls are not to be taken seriously. The ones like KITV and StarBulletin.com don't require you to log-in.. so like you can vote several times using either different computers, or your same computer after emptying out your disc cache or even logging in from a different IP number. Here at HawaiiThreads your vote is tied into your login username.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Akaka vs. Case Debate: Live Thread

Just got an email from Case's campaign stating:

KITV - Channel 4 is conducting an online poll to determine who did better in last night's U.S. Senate debate. Ed Case was well ahead 54% to 42% until the Akaka campaign eblasted all of their supporters. Who do you think clearly showed himself the better candidate to represent our Hawaii and our country for the next generation? Please vote now at: www.thehawaiichannel.com/index.html

Mahalo!
                      Hmmm, I wonder to what extent the e-begging (on either side) is influencing the polls?

Comment

Now I know why I give out fake email addresses...

I hate political messages and I would definately become offended by a politician I supported me spamming me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                          Just got an email from Case's campaign stating:

Hmmm, I wonder to what extent the e-begging (on either side) is influencing the polls?
                          I got that email too. Which is why I checked the sites and decided not to participate. It's childish when adults start to play games "begging" for supporters to take part in a Poll. "Put your Votes in cause our Candidate was leading but the other guy's people are beating us by calling in their votes!" Ssshhhhh!

Politics!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

was this email you guys authentically endorsed by Case...

might be an under cover smear... I don't think Cases direct office needs this kind of attention...

they won the debate obviously...no need flood polls that have no meaning.

Comment

Now I know why I give out fake email addresses...

I hate political messages and I would definately become offended by a politician I supported me spamming me.
                              was this email you guys authentically endorsed by Case...

might be an under cover smear... I don't think Cases direct office needs this kind of attention...

they won the debate obviously...no need flood polls that have no meaning.
                              Manoa, The candidates whom send out emails to their suppoters do not spam them. Their supporters can stop recieving the emails at anytime at the click of a button. It is the supporter who asks to be on the list to recieve information about the candidate.

Don't assume anything if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 1, 2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Auntie, I didn't ask to be on Case's list but he agreed to speak at a function when he was running for governor and thus his office got my email address at that time. But to be fair, I didn't ask to be removed from his list once I started getting the emails because I didn't mind getting information about the candidates for that race and then I got lazy and just didn't bother asking to be removed after the race was pau. But I am pretty sure this is an authentic email from Case's campaign. For one, it's not an address I use widely and it contains a soliciation for volunteers and contributions for Case's campaign. I doubt a smearer would include that info just in case someone does decide to add support to Case's campaign.

Comment

Working...
                                X