Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O wai keia?

Aloha to All!
    I trust this 'self introduction' finds each of you in excellent health and total peace of mind.

Allow me to start as far back as I know:
    This lineage is strictly my Fathers side: My Great Great Grandfather had only one name: LAHAINA born middle of 1700’s in Kaupo, Maui. He married, but so far no luck on her real or true name or anything about her – although I did see one document that had her listed as ‘Mary’. We do know they had keikis…but not how many. The only one we have confirmed was a First born Son – who took the same name of LAHAINA but also was nicknamed LAHAINALUNA, born abt 1846, Kaupo, Maui – died June 28th, 1896, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. They lived on a area of aina about 11 acres or so in Kaupo; in fact in 1847 – the Great Mahele in full bore, this 11 acres was granted to my Great Great Grandfather by Kamehameha IV and Queen Ka’ahumanu. I have authentic reproduction copies of the Official Declaration Letter, signed and dated, and includes a map of the parcel and all other properties around it.
    Great Grandfather LAHAINA married KIKANIA NAPELA born abt 1845 (so far unknown where???), she died April 25th, 1895, Honolulu, Oahu. LAHAINA and KIKANIA lived in Kau, Big Island…and they proceed to contribute 7 keikis to the world! But only, 5 survived – 2 stillborns, both sets of twins. Survivors were: Elizabeth Kekuene Lahaina (who married George Kekua Kaheau), Mary Hipa Lahaina (who married Claude Haupu), Emma Lahaina (who married Francis Kuroda), Mary Lahaina (who married R.M.Duchalsky), Anne Mo’ohihio Lahaina (my Tutu - whose first husband was a man with one name of Lepeka), and Richard Lahaina. I am aware that my Tutu Annie was a twin, and the other twin was Kahooholo Lahaina who married a man with one name of: Aua; making her: Mrs. Kahooholo Aua (she is famous for signing the petition that Hawaii should not become a part of the United States).

So the 6th keiki born to Lahaina & Kikania was my Grandmother ANNIE MO’OHIHIO LAHAINA, born December 11th, 1883, Kau District, Big Island – Hawaii; died February 5th, 1947, Honolulu, Oahu at Queens Hospital and buried in the plot in Makiki Cemetery. Annie worked for some 24 years at the Sand Island Laundry (Army base?) on Oahu. And so…Annie first marries at a young age evidently…to a Big Island man with one name: LEPEKA. They have 4 keikis: Katherine Keahi Lepeka (who married Robert J. Kauo), Hana Lepeka (Kahu) (who married John Kaainoa), Rose Lepeka (who married a man named Kealoha), and Maggie Lepeka (nicknamed Maka) – Rose & Maka were twins. Something happens, Annie either: splits, divorces, or abandons Lepeka – OR – I’ve been told he passed away at a young age…leaving my Tutu Annie depressed…so she up and moved to Oahu…where another plot of ohana aina existed in the area of Kapahulu (behind Waikiki?), on Catherine Street. This plot of aina had, I am told, 3 houses on it – the front house, where Annie moved into, had some kind of huge tree in front and a big porch, with Annie’s rocking chair; to the left side of property was a smaller 1 bedroom ‘Guest House’; and to the rear of property was a big two storied house.

In, 1900, a man named JOHN ERAQUIO MONTE ( my Grandfather) arrived in Honolulu, Oahu after traveling from Mayaguez, Puerto Rico – where he was born and educated at the University in Agriculture and Dairy. He had a job waiting for him as a ‘Luna’ at the Makiki Agricultural Experiment Station, located in Makiki area on Kalawahine Ridge (this would be the pre-cursor of the Univ of Hawaii, Manoa). Somehow, John & Annie met, fell in love, and married (according to the wedding cert in 1908); together they had 3 Sons: John Gregory Monte Jr (my father) - nicknamed 'Uncle Babe') born April 7th, 1906, Honolulu, Oahu – died 1989 in Ventura, CA; Peter Monte, and Henry Dionicio Monte. My father attended Kamehameha Schools, worked for my Grandfather who in 1914, opened his own business called THE MONTE DAIRY, located on Kalawahine Ridge, Makiki area and the grazing aina stretched down to almost where Roosevelt High School is today.

In 1947, my father, along with a handful of Waikiki Beach Boys were invited by Clark Gable (a frequent visitor to Waikiki) to be in the movie MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. My Father had a second film project called SUTTER'S GOLD. In 1950, someone introduces my father to Red Skelton, the comedian - and the two hit it off and Red hires my dad to be his personal right hand man. My Dad moves into the Skelton home in Beverly Hills; goes everywhere with Red; also takes care of the home and the Skelton children. My Dad stayed with Red until about 1963.
    In 1954, my dad attended a luau put on by the Polynesian Society of Los Angeles and there he is introduced to a wahine named BONNIE AUDELLA DESMOND RUSSELL. When they looked at each other they immediately recognized each other. Turns out my Mom was raised by her Grandparents: Mr. & Mrs. Steve Campbell, of Makiki Heights area...and they used to get milk delivered to the house - and it was my father who delivered the milk! So they both remembered those days and each other. Grandpa Steve was GM for Von Hamm Young Company in Honolulu. My Mom attended McKinley High School, and was Captain of the ROTC squad.
    But small world, yeah? So John and Bonnie were married in 1954, end of year...and I made my appearance in September 1955. I was raised mostly here in California. I am married to a half Mexican - half Native American wahine of the Paiute Tribe, named: LISA - 'FIRE IN THE WILD HORSE'S MANE' . We have 7 keikis, the oldest 33 - the youngest 5 years old (man, I need HBO, Showtime, something!!!).

I was drawn to this site after doing searching for any additoinal ohana information - and when I was looking at Puerto Ricans in Hawai - that is when I saw the thread from the gentleman in the military who did not know if his Grandparents ever made it to Hawaii???

In that thread...there was mention of a book that listed the 56 men who made the long trek from Puerto Rico to Honolulu in December 1900...I believe my Grandfather to be one of those 56! Again, he was a 'Luna' at Makiki Agricultural Experiment Station 1900 until 1914.

Any information on my Grandfather that can be found would be great! Also, on my Great Grandmother KIKANIA NAPELA, who I cannot find much of anything about.

Mahalo, in advance, for allowing me to be a part of this group; and I think it is great the way others here pitch in and share knowledge and information.

John Keoni Monte
    John Keoni Monte

Monte Consulting
    media-marketing-management

The Full Monte
    voice over talent

Re: O wai keia?

Aloha and welcome...

We have another member on here that was/is a beachboy!

HawaiiThreads is a small community that has some people that may be able to answer your questions.

Your welcome may get looked over by a few because it was in Hawaiian.

I didn't even understand... however read your thread due to curiosity.

I'm sure others will follow suit soon and see what kind of Mischief I'm posting now.... however, Welcome to HT...

And here in Hawaii... you may find some family members here on HT given the extent of what you have said....

Manoa
    Last edited by damontucker; August 31, 2006, 06:33 PM. Reason: need to

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Aloha and welcome...

I'm sure others will follow suit soon and see what kind of Mischief I'm posting now.... however, Welcome to HT...

Manoa
      Thats why I came in da door

..and also to say welcome and Aloha!
      It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

Doesn't Key West hold the honor of being the most southernly point in the continental US?
        "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
        "But I can't even read good."
        "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
        "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Welcome from someone who is NOT on the welcome comittee and is not in Hawai'i ....welcome from Oregon
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I am aware that my Tutu Annie was a twin, and the other twin was Kahooholo Lahaina who married a man with one name of: Aua; making her: Mrs. Kahooholo Aua (she is famous for signing the petition that Hawaii should not become a part of the United States).
            I would be interested to hear some of your input on the Statehood thread then!

Comment

What an interesting introduction! I too am looking for more information on great great grandparents and would love to trace my native Hawaiian history further back than I currently have. If I go too far back I get stuck at the only one name thing too. A few of them... HAENAKU'IKALANI from Kaua'i, KAKA from Molokai, UHA and MANUHI from Kahuku, O'ahu.

Anyway good luck on your research and welcome to da threads.

Oh yeah, forget to say that KAINA *points up to screen name* comes from Kahuku too, at least as far as I can trace back.
              Last edited by Lei K; September 1, 2006, 02:49 PM.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Person who sent me the pm about a family history resource (who will remain anonymous).... I tried to send you a mahalo back but you couldn't get PMs or something like that. Anyway, mahalo.
                Last edited by Lei K; September 1, 2006, 03:10 PM.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Aloha & Welcome to Hawaiithreads.com Maonte!!

Wow!!! Wat an introduction! I've never seen one so interesting and so informative as yours from the get Go! I'm looking forward to more of your writings. See you on the forum.

Good luck

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
                    Doesn't Key West hold the honor of being the most southernly point in the continental US?
                    The gentleman said Imperial Beach is the most southwesterly point of the mainland states.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X