The CW in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CW in Hawaii

I'm starting this thread for anything doing with the CW network airing or not airing in Hawaii in a few weeks. To start things off, an article in the features section of the Star Bulletin brings the dilemma up to date with "Gilmore Girl" fans awaiting for a local affiliate. CW wants to go broadcast, but they may also consider having Oceanic cable carry them.

Article link: http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/04/f...s/story01.html

According to Norman Santos, Oceanic's vice president of operations, it's a possibility.

"Since the CW network has announced itself, they have been looking for a local affiliate," he said. "There are some players in the mix, and we are one of them. We're sort of waiting for the CW to make their choice."

Santos said the network would prefer to be carried on a broadcast station for optimum exposure, but considering how cable-saturated our island state is, the CW wouldn't suffer much in terms of a potential audience were it to go with Oceanic.
    It's not that Hawaii is lacking over the air stations to air the network.

KFVE, the former WB affiliate has already decided to air the new MyNetwork TV network and the current UPN affiliate KIKU has chosen not to air the CW, because CW wants their programs to air in prime time and not the afternoon hours like how KIKU airs/aired UPN. KIKU remains committed to their Japanese programming in prime time.

Several other UHF stations dot the Hawaii dial, but most if not all carry nothing but religious programming. A lot of it is redundent and if someone wanted to switch to a network, this is the time
    Last edited by mel; September 17, 2006, 07:50 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: The CW in Hawaii

It just shows how backward ass our local broadcast stations are that none of them know how to work out a way to carry the CW.

Example:Many smaller market stations on the Mainland will carry the CW on a subchannel on it's DTV stations. It's helps these stations make money on the DTV channel and helps get cable companies to carry the DTV channel.

NFL games in HDTV remains spotty

KHON's subchannel (2.2) has been blank for over a year. Why not air the CW over the air on that and use it to work a deal with Oceanic for the HD channel (2.1)?

Heck even a Yakima, WA Spanish Language station is going that route to carry the CW in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja
      KHON's subchannel (2.2) has been blank for over a year. Why not air the CW over the air on that and use it to work a deal with Oceanic for the HD channel (2.1)?

Heck even a Yakima, WA Spanish Language station is going that route to carry the CW in that area.
      Just an idea, maybe you should suggest that to KHON and Oceanic
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I agree, this is an incredible chance for a smaller station to make a switch and become an instant player in the Hawaii TV market. Four 24-hour religious stations and no CW station, in a market this size. Doesn't make sense. However, from my understanding, two of the four, religious stations in town, are basically a satellite receiver sending a signal to the transmitter and really don't have the infrastructure to run an actual network station. The other two religious stations, I highly doubt, would change formats.

Until one of the other local stations steps up (that might be awhile), how about Oceanic carrying KTLA-TV Channel 5, out of Los Angeles, on the cable system. I beleive KTLA-TV, is one of the 5 legal "SuperStations" (in the FCC's eyes) left in the country and could be used on a out of market cable system until a local station takes over the CW network.

Until someone in Hawaii steps-up, I'm going to the dish to watch "Smallville".

Aloha,
        DXer

Comment

The latest on the CW in Erika Engle's Buzz column today:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/17/business/engle.html

CW & Oceanic.... nothing yet.... CW debuts this Wednesday.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What's CW? If it is Country Western, then I remember that there was a station called KAHU (from Waipahu) that used to be all Country Western...they used to broadcast live from the Sandbox, down on Sand Island Access Road, on Saturday nights...I used to work there, back when...Howard Farias, Bill Spillyard, and all the rest...

Well...if this thread isn't about Country music, then nevermind...
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The CW is the national television network that was created this year through the merger of the UPN and WB TV networks. They show programs such as Smallville, The Gilmore Girls and America's Top Model.

The current issue is that there is no CW TV network affiliate in Hawaii.

For a discussion on country music radio in Hawaii, click on this link.
              Last edited by mel; September 17, 2006, 07:51 AM.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I say have CW on OC16

Comment

Bummers. I was looking at this weeks TV log in Midweek and noticed that KIKU does not show a listing of WWE Smackdown for the usual 10:00 pm Saturday time. Looks like KIKU did not sign up to carry any of the CW shows as of this week. There we go again. No more Batista or King Booker LOL. Hawaii really gets the raw end of the deal everytime TV stations make changes. Too bad OC won't get rid of one of the least popular channels like maybe SOAP and add CW on it instead. OC is carrying so much dead weight channels that I bet almost nobody is watching much. I hope somebody will step up to the plate and carry WWE Smackdown soon. All pau rant now. Tankew. Class dismissed. Aloha, BigD

Comment

Oceanic has other channels to use. I used to remember Kamen Rider was shown on Channel 78. For the most part that channel was used for selling stuff like collectable coins.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      I'm starting this thread for anything doing with the CW
                      TOTALLY thought you were talking about me. was all honored. ha!
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa
                        TOTALLY thought you were talking about me. was all honored. ha!
                        I assumed it was about Craig Watanabe.

Comment

I contacted Oceanic to find out if/when the CW is going to be added to the lineup, and I got a firm, "We don't know." All I know is I get cranky when I don't get my America's Next Top Model fix.

Comment

So much for the swelling in my sty-ed eye going down. What use is a good eye when I can't watch "The Gilmore Girls"?
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

What stations can you watch WWE programming on now? Arent they (WWE) coming to the Blaisdell in a few weeks?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                              X