Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The CW in Hawaii

Originally posted by melemac View Post
    it's november 6 and still no word what channel CW is on Oceanic...
    93, I read somewhere, is where it might be when it turns up.
    Greg

Comment

nope nothing

any news?

Comment

Originally posted by melemac View Post
        any news?
        In the TWC digital cable guide at www.TitanTV.com, there is now a channel 93 labeled INCWW. But it shows only "Programming Unavailable".
        Greg

Comment

i have digital/HD with oceanic, still no channel 93. but i guess it's in the works since they now have it listed...

Comment

I really hate CW & Hawaii''s Time Warner Cable !!!
            Who ever took my Favorites TV from me !!!
            I hate you all !!!
            I going to buy DVD next year and I never for give you guys !!! never !
            http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2456/sigbuffy2wy.png

Comment

The CW & Oceanic Cable

link

FINALLY !!!

"THE CW, the upstart network featuring shows such as "The Gilmore Girls," "One Tree Hill" and "Smallville," will begin airing on Oceanic Cable Channel 93 by 3 p.m. tomorrow, according to Joe McNamara, president and general manager of KHON-TV."
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Any Oceanic subscriber with a digital cable box should be able to view the programming, according to Norman Santos, vice president of operations for Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Subscribers with analog boxes can swap them for digital boxes at no charge and should be able to view the programming without subscribing to Oceanic's digital service.
                What about analog subscribers with NO BOXES? I don't want to pay rent for any box. The analog channels are built into my TV and VCR. I only pay for the hookup.

I think having Oceanic place CW on 93 is a stealthy way for getting analog subscribers moved to digital. I ain't biting.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  I think having Oceanic place CW on 93 is a stealthy way for getting analog subscribers moved to digital. I ain't biting.

Ding, Ding, Ding, I think we have a winner here. But I figure eventually Oceanic will phase out analog TV service.Thus you'll have to get a set top box or a cable card compatible TV.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

It sickens me to no end that the cable companies are linked with the hardware manufacturers to even force cable cards upon users. After reading your post in another thread here and doing some research on cable cards, I found out that they want to charge us for that too. Some little card that you plug into your TV. When I originally read about digital tuners built into TV sets, I thought it would be just that. A tuner that picks up the digital signal without the need for any additional hardware that the end user has to pay rent for.

I don't see why the cable companies can't do everything with software instead of requring end users to buy into cable cards or cable boxes? Especially with digital.

From what I have been reading about the big digital switchover in February 2009, in theory analog is still supposed to work and most cable companies will still be feeding their signals with analog cable (for those who remain with analog). It is only the over the air broadcast that will go totally dark on analog come Feb. 2009 and only digital will be available then.

If I were in an area where cable was not required to get a decent signal, I'd dump my cable in a heartbeat and just use "free" over the air TV. I assume the end user don't need a "cable card" to get over the air digital signals. Or do they?

Anyway there isn't anything on the CW network that will compel me to get a digital box. All programming eventually goes to reruns and DVD after their network showings. And CW ain't a major network as they want us to believe.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      I assume the end user don't need a "cable card" to get over the air digital signals. Or do they?
                      You'll need a digital tuner.

Comment

Mel, the cable cards seem to be buggy too, as I've read. Also they don't support two way services, like VOD or interactive services. On both of thosecounts, even though Oceanic only charges 1.75 a month for a cable card,I'd rather have the box.

The cable card is only required for Oceanic's service. If you went OTA, you'd need a digital tuner, like Gecko Geek said.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

I think there is a mandate that all digital TVs come equipped with a digital tuner. I know the sets out today, not all have a tuner. I think you have to buy one separately.

That said, I find it appalling that sets with digital tuners will still need a cable card or a box to access digital service. Why have a digital tuner if the cable company does not want to make it accessible?

I know if I got digital cable, I would not want all the fancy interactive things like PPV movies and sports as they are just another revenue generator for the cable firm to get you to become impulsive buyers. I just want plain old cable where I just turn on the TV, tune into the channel and watch the show I want. That's it. No need interactive features whatever they are!
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes it does seem a bit unfair. But in a way I can understand why they do it. I'm probably wrong on my assumptions here,but here it goes. I believe the reason why things are this way is due to standardization (along with the money factor). If they have everyone using Scientific Atlanta equipment it reduces their tech support,inventory overhead. This is probably why they don't support built in digital tv tuners also.

It would be nice to not have a box or cable card. Maybe when I get older that might happen. But due to reasons I mentioned above, along with lack of financial incentive to support more devices, it may be awhile.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Any news on getting KHON-HD and DKHON added to TWC? This was reported over a month ago in the same breath as adding CW to the lineup.

Comment

Still no ch. 93 here in Kailua-Kona.I've rebooted my box three times with no success. I called up Oceanic. In typical Oceanic fashion, the CSR was unhelpful. He said they were working on it. Despite the fact I mentioned to them that it was available on Oahu.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X