Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Default Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Well, I have started to gear myself up to move, however, I don't know what to take, and what to sell here and rebuy. Big screen tv? Desk for computer? Dressers? I'd love to get some suggestions on what you took and what you sold before moving. If I sell the big screen, how much more am I going to pay for a new one? Ship it or sell it? Which is more cost effective?

Another interesting thing comes to mind, how do I dress in Oahu for a job interview? (food and beverage management) Certainly not the same as Las Vegas? I don't want to make a fool out of myself, or give the wrong impression by not dressing properly for the job interview. Any guidelines, or suggestions?

The anxiety is creeeeeping in on me at this time, I am almost ready to list my house for sale here...pass the chammomile tea, please.

Default Re: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

ask queenolu... she's in the same predicament and going through the same stuff...

Sell everything you can't store...because, you probably won't have near the square footage of living space that you have for the dollar that you have where you are living now.

Well you can ship the big screen tv to me...and I'll find a good use for it

Good luck hope...

For the big screen TV the older the TV set it is the better off for you not to ship it to Hawaii.

If you already have a place in Hawaii to move to, it's really up to you what big stuff you want to ship to Hawaii.

On the other hand if don't have a place in Hawaii to move to, then you best travel light and not ship any of the big stuff over.

In order to prove to yourself that most of your junk is crappola, have a garage sale and see what people offer for your "treasures".

I brought 3 boxes and 2 suitcases with me when I came to Hawaii.

I could have left 1/2 that crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope
    Well, I have started to gear myself up to move, however, I don't know what to take, and what to sell here and rebuy. Big screen tv? Desk for computer? Dressers? I'd love to get some suggestions on what you took and what you sold before moving. If I sell the big screen, how much more am I going to pay for a new one? Ship it or sell it? Which is more cost effective?

Another interesting thing comes to mind, how do I dress in Oahu for a job interview? (food and beverage management) Certainly not the same as Las Vegas? I don't want to make a fool out of myself, or give the wrong impression by not dressing properly for the job interview. Any guidelines, or suggestions?

The anxiety is creeeeeping in on me at this time, I am almost ready to list my house for sale here...pass the chammomile tea, please.
    When I was getting ready to move home, first I went through my apt. ruthlessly and looked at everything I owned - if I hadn't used it in the last 6 mos., it got sold or donated. I sold books, CD's, furniture. I kept my entertainment center/bookcase, my cookbooks (gourmet cook), all my kitchen stuff cause it's very good equipment. I kept my TV cause it was new, sold my stereo equipment. I kept one sofa table that I used as a desk, the new computer system, an Eames Chair and my bed & dresser. My clothes & linens came with me. That's it - and I shipped way too much. Now I'm trying to get rid of what I've accumulated in the last 10 years since I've been back - I just have too much "stuff".

As for how to dress for an interview? For your field, I would go around to a few restaurants & check out what the hostesses are wearing for work, and then tone it down a bit for the initial interview. If you have a tan, stockings are not a must - but if you have pale legs, then wear stockings at least for the interview. You'll get a feel for things just by observing how we all dress here - and it's definitely not LV style. It's a lot less formal & subdued I think.

Good luck to you! Let us here on HT know when you have a job & we'll all come have drinks/dinner where you work

LOL at manoasurfer123, I love the big screen, even though I don't get much chance to use it. It's fairly new, 2 years old. Since I don't know the price structure there, hard to say whether to sell and rebuy, or ship it. I guess I better start pricing the shipper, that should help a great deal.

I don't have a place there yet, planning to rent for a few months, then buy a condo there when I find one.

I am starting by having a major moving sale at my condo, which is bursting at the seems with "stuff". Then, an entire storage room with another entire household...lost two family members in the past three years, and frankly, have had a very hard time "disposing" of all their "stuff" thus far. Now, I must, and the relief will be a welcome thing, indeed.

All the memories of being in my mom's home...there's no place like mom's house. I miss her so terribly, every single day.

brought 3 boxes and 2 suitcases with me when I came to Hawaii.

LOVE this answer! I soooo wish it were that easy...I've already got my flip flop shoes and towel set aside, frankly, I'd prolly be happy with just that

Actually, Helen made a good suggestion: leave your stuff in storage until you get here & see what you will need. Make an inventory & bring it with you. When you find a place to live - either go back to LV yourself to ship things or have a friend do it for you, based on your inventory. I wish I would have brought less with me - my whole lifestyle has changed since I came back here.

The collector books are going on ebay tomorrow, followed by hundreds more! The last time I pared down the books, I swore I'd never "collect" them again...suuuuure didn't turn out that way, lol! Just too lazy to keep going to the library, I guess.

Oh, I just love the "subdued" dress style, I mean...it can take 2 hours to be that "impeccable" candidate for a job here, you must look like a magazine ad, and that always drove me crazy. Not that I'm a slob, but Las Vegas is soooo "image oriented". I just want to be myself, and be hired based on ability and expertise, not an "image". It may be hard to understand, unless you've lived here before.

Oh, and DO come and have dinner and drinks with me, I love to entertain guests! I'll make sure the food is tasty, the service is swift and friendly and you are happy when you leave...

I like Helen's idea, that's a great way to do it! Yes, less is best for me, I don't want to make the mistake of bringing too much stuff . I am at the time in my life where "stuff" is just not a priority. It just gives me a headache, lol.

The family that I have left here, just doesn't get it...but they're young...I'm 46 years old, and after the severe trauma I've been through in the past few years with the deaths...it suuuuuuure changes your perspective on what's really important in life...experiencing all you can in life...living it the way you want to ....stuff is just that..."stuff"...and I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse!

....stuff is just that..."stuff"...and I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse!
    what a great statement!

Oh, I just love the "subdued" dress style, I mean...it can take 2 hours to be that "impeccable" candidate for a job here, you must look like a magazine ad, and that always drove me crazy. Not that I'm a slob, but Las Vegas is soooo "image oriented". I just want to be myself, and be hired based on ability and expertise, not an "image". It may be hard to understand, unless you've lived here before.

Oh, and DO come and have dinner and drinks with me, I love to entertain guests! I'll make sure the food is tasty, the service is swift and friendly and you are happy when you leave...

We had an office manager for one of our tenants that is from Las Vegas - and her dress style just screamed it out! She has since toned it down but at first it was kind of shocking! We have a term for it here - "Hoochie Mama". I'm sure you get the picture

That statement comes with an interesting little story...I had this mean, miserable old man for a boss, I managed two of his nightclubs, and had 60 employees, all driving me crazy at once...great challenge, and great money, but the boss...a real piece of work!

He was worth 20 million, easy..and...one day, as we were counting the money from the poker machines...I glanced at him...miserly...in front of that money counting machine...and it hit me like a ton of bricks...

...for all the money that man has, I wouldn't trade places with him for all the tea in China! I had never met a man so estranged from his family, so cruel to my employees...so hearless in his comments to people...his wife had blown her brains out some 25 years earlier..and perhaps he drove her to it.

Then, it hit me...
    "I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse..."

"Hoochie Mama" is exactly how you're "supposed" to look here, however, I feel absolutely silly dressed like that. When I was a bartender in one nightclub here, all the girls dressed like that, so I had to go on a shopping spree...my stepdad would laugh when I visited and had dinner, dressed like that..."working tonight"? he'd say...and we all got a laugh out of that! I got rid of my "huzzy wear" a few years back, and sure don't miss it, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808
    Actually, Helen made a good suggestion: leave your stuff in storage until you get here & see what you will need. Make an inventory & bring it with you. When you find a place to live - either go back to LV yourself to ship things or have a friend do it for you, based on your inventory. I wish I would have brought less with me - my whole lifestyle has changed since I came back here.
    This is exactly our plan. Have a garage sale and donate stuff we definitely don't want anymore, box up and inventory most of the rest, and have a friend here ship it to us via USPS as we want/need it. That way too if we go and decide (like a lot of people) that it's not gonna work out, there's not much to move back. (I know that sounds a little defeatist from the outset, but it happens to a lot of people and "stuff" is just "stuff" -- if we could live without it and not need it all that much, maybe we should get rid of it anyway )

Whatever you decide to bring, there's a very good chance you'll find it's way too much. Here's a quote from a book I have on the topic: "Among all the people we've talked to about this, there isn't one (including ourselves) who didn't say they brought over way too much and if they had it to do over they would have sold most of everything before moving." It's also (probably) a big lifestyle change going from LV to Hawai'i and selling off old stuff and buying others when you arrive is a nice way to separate it in your head.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a LOT of people move and decide they can't take it, then move back. And they do the same thing on the return trip that they did on the way out -- sell all their stuff cheaply, at garage sales or whatever. So if you have a little patience you can apparently furnish a house pretty cheaply that way.

All that said, what you need to do is look at the sentimental value of things and their replacement vs shipping cost. For example shipping your car is not necessarily a good idea unless it's highly customized. You can often sell your car in the US and buy a similar one at a similar price, and save yourself $1k.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    ask queenolu... she's in the same predicament and going through the same stuff...

Sell everything you can't store...because, you probably won't have near the square footage of living space that you have for the dollar that you have where you are living now.

Well you can ship the big screen tv to me...and I'll find a good use for it

Good luck hope...

I hear someone calling my name..... here I am....

Ok, yes I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have had 3 yard sales so far and that is just to get those things I don't use out of the house...

The house will be on the market tomorrow....goodness, I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Anyway, back to the topic.... I am selling EVERYTHING.... as much as it may hurt to do that.... I just don't see the need to spend the money to ship things... afterall, its just me...... since I don't know what size condo I am going to get... and based on what I know.... will be glad to get 600sq ft of space.... I plan to ship my car for sure.... the peace of mind is well worth the cost to ship the car... I know my car and the care that I have given it since I bought it... can't go buy someone's piece of junk and don't know how it will run. Everything else I am bringing will be sent by USPS and by plane in my suitcases...

I have already sold many of my big furniture already..... just need to sell my bed set and a few others....

HOPE... IT'S JUST YOU ALONE.... SO........... SELL SELL SELL....... you probably will not stay home long enough to watch that big screen TV anyway...

All my sentimental things/records will be left at my moms house.

New life... new beginnings... new things....

Pray for me everyone.... that I get a great offer on my house and all goes well with the sale.

Mahalo...
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Queenolu
    I hear someone calling my name..... here I am....

Ok, yes I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have had 3 yard sales so far and that is just to get those things I don't use out of the house...

The house will be on the market tomorrow....goodness, I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Anyway, back to the topic.... I am selling EVERYTHING.... as much as it may hurt to do that.... I just don't see the need to spend the money to ship things... afterall, its just me...... since I don't know what size condo I am going to get... and based on what I know.... will be glad to get 600sq ft of space.... I plan to ship my car for sure.... the peace of mind is well worth the cost to ship the car... I know my car and the care that I have given it since I bought it... can't go buy someone's piece of junk and don't know how it will run. Everything else I am bringing will be sent by USPS and by plane in my suitcases...

I have already sold many of my big furniture already..... just need to sell my bed set and a few others....

HOPE... IT'S JUST YOU ALONE.... SO........... SELL SELL SELL....... you probably will not stay home long enough to watch that big screen TV anyway...

All my sentimental things/records will be left at my moms house.

New life... new beginnings... new things....

Pray for me everyone.... that I get a great offer on my house and all goes well with the sale.

Mahalo...
    no worry tita tayo -

I had to sign my mom's house away on the mainland before i uprooted everything and followed her here...

I didn't cry... I missed my friends and looked for it to being a new chapter in my life...

You have a strong mind and a good resume... you will do just fine!

I kept my entertainment center/bookcase, my cookbooks (gourmet cook), all my kitchen stuff cause it's very good equipment. I kept my TV cause it was new, sold my stereo equipment. I kept one sofa table that I used as a desk, the new computer system, an Eames Chair and my bed & dresser.
    Wow, you have an Eames chair...which one ?

I'm a big Mid Century Modern geek. How much of that kind of stuff is available on the Islands ?

Sorry to get you all excited - I had to sell it a few months after I got here. Was suddenly unemployed and needed rent money. But, the many years I had it, it sure was comfy. It was the big leather reclining style with the headrest and a wonderful footstool. I would love to have another but my income will not allow that - I was making plenny money when I bought it in San Francisco. Now, I'm very poor

I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Queenolu, I can totally relate to this statement...in going to the storage space I have rented, and finally digging into my beautiful mother's belongings...then, the thought of selling my lovely home...well, I've been on the verge of tears all day today! All this "stuff" has brought back a lot of memories for me.

When I bought this place, it was the only place I was going to buy from then until I die...and how things have changed since!

I am such a lucky lady to have good friends...two of them helped me today by coming over, having coffee with me, and telling me how lucky I am, to be going on a wonderful adventure...a new lifestyle.

I will pray for you that you are doing the right thing, too, Queenie . I hope your home sells for a good price, and that you can manage to get through signing papers. Yes, I am by myself, leaving all behind..just like you....and I am a bucket of nerves. I don't know anyone in Oahu, and all the planning is overwhelming.

PS-If you play backgammon, I'd be happy to meet and play over coffee sometime, since we're in the same boat

Sorry to get you all excited - I had to sell it a few months after I got here. Was suddenly unemployed and needed rent money. But, the many years I had it, it sure was comfy. It was the big leather reclining style with the headrest and a wonderful footstool. I would love to have another but my income will not allow that - I was making plenny money when I bought it in San Francisco. Now, I'm very poor
    Oh, the bent plywood and leather lounger...the classic...most comfortable chair EVER? Those are worth big coin. There are copies floating all around Cali for under $500. Design Within Reach sells the new ones, licensed by Eames for like $2500. Yea, that's a great chair.

Sorry you had to sell it. If it was an older , original one, it would be worth lots o money now.

When I bought this place, it was the only place I was going to buy from then until I die...and how things have changed since!
    I can't completely sympathize because we bought our house as a "starter house" with the intent to refinance it or sell it and buy another later but we certainly had no plans to leave Portland after this. That feels weird. Been considering renting it out for a few years instead of selling, for investment reasons. We had some trouble letting go of my car too, which was also going to be my "last car" for a long time, but that was also for the best. I bought it before I got married and my wife can't drive it, and it halved our credit card debt and let me refinance the rest.. whoo! I get to take my job with me, which is awesome (for finances anyway). Lots of stuff like that "just working out" for us, and I'm hoping for more as this progresses!

PS-If you play backgammon, I'd be happy to meet and play over coffee sometime, since we're in the same boat
    You know.... that is one game I have not spent any real time playing... I can't remember how to play it but that you move your buttons around...lol...

Well, when we both make it to the other side of the ocean... you can teach me.
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Aloha! I just moved here from Vegas 2 1/2 months ago, thankfully! Im not sure whats bringing you here but congrats on getting out of that horrbile place. As far as what to bring and what to leave, personally, if you cant bring it on the plane with you, leave it. I guess this depends how much disposable income you have but for me, I sold basically everything that couldnt come on the plane with me. I know the anxiety and the cold feet that comes that last few weeks. Thats why I moved so quickly. I knew I would probably talk myself out of it if gave myself the chance too, but I knew this move was for me.

As far as moving here, if you have any questions please feel free to pm me! I think this is a particulary good move for those from places like Vegas. Its no permanent holiday here but coming from a place like Vegas, I think we are in a particulary good position to appretiate the small things that make this place so special. The rudeness of Las Vegas starts to numb you after awhile. The horrible customer service and the greediness you experience everday starts to become the norm. Then you come here and realize it doesnt need to be that way. Good luck with your move and just breath! Step outside in the 110 degrees and realize soon it wont be like that. Go to Hilo Hattie and ABC store at the Alladin and have fun. Get yourself excited and realize you only live once. Is it a crazy move? OF COURSE! And thats what makes it so great. Again good luck, and keep us informed!!!
    Last edited by rhscare; September 11th, 2006 at 09:12 AM.

The rudeness of Las Vegas starts to numb you after awhile. The horrible customer service and the greediness you experience everday starts to become the norm.

Precicely! This is one of the things I told myself after about a year of living here...that I would never turn into one of those rude and greedy people! (I have lived here for 11 years now, and have kept my promise to myself in this regard ).

The lady who helped to train me for my last management position kept saying over and over "you have such a positive, and calming energy about you, Hope, how do you do it?"

Hence one of the reasons for going to Hawaii, I felt like I could be myself there, not some "hardass" all the time (can I say that here? ) which, I'm capable of, but I don't like myself when I have to behave that way.

Anyhow, did you rent an apt. when you arrived? Sublet? My next order of business will be to figure out just where to go at first, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast