Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Default Re: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Hope - I don't know what your timetable is but one of the first things I did when I decided to move back here was start up a subscription to the local newspaper. Also, I was able to open a checking account at a local bank via the internet - so I had a local account on which to write checks. I rented one of those "mail drop" boxes, also by internet, so I already had an actual street address for a local reference. I got credit reference letters from electric, gas & phone company in Calif. & brought those with me - I was able to have services turned on immediately and without having to make a deposit first. Your cell phone can be changed easily to a local number - we have most of the major carriers located here. The cell phone was the first thing I did here - well, that & cut my hair short cause it was so d*** hot! Did both of those things within 24 hrs of getting off the plane.

I think it was easier for me though because I already knew my way around, had old friends i could call on for references and a small ohana here. and now with HT, you also have a small ohana to give you pointers & help out when you need information.

Fran PS: I do play backgammon!

As soon as the "moving sales" are over here, the condo gets listed. The last two in this complex sold in 8 days and 22 days, so it will probably sell rather quickly. How did you get a bank account online? I was wondering how to get my money over there, is there no B of A there? Which bank has online/convenient atms?

Also, I had a trac phone that I used for business/emergencies, I still have it on, and I wonder if trac phone will work over there, and if I'll have to change the locale/phone number. Soooo much to do, whew!

Not knowing a soul, there's a lot for me to learn there. I am looking forward to learning so very much

BTW. would you like to play an online game of bg? Just let me know, and I'll email you the invite )

I opened an account with First Hawaiian Bank. No, sorry - we kicked B of A out of here a few years ago It's a long story which I'm sure you will hear once you get here. Bottom line was - they just didn't fit into the community very well.

I don't even know what Trak Phone is - is it a cellular network? ah, showing my ignorance here.

TracFone works here in Hawaii. Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Radio Shack sells the air-time cards as well as the phones. The thread titled Who's your cellular phone provider? has a few replies related to TracFone.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    TracFone works here in Hawaii. Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Radio Shack sells the air-time cards as well as the phones. The thread titled Who's your cellular phone provider? has a few replies related to TracFone.
    Thanks Helen - I just remembered you posting about getting one at Sam's Club. DUH - I'm really getting tired I guess. Have a good nite all - I'm off to sleepy time land

First Hawiian Bank, okay, I will look for the web site, and thanks I'll need to have available funds there when I arrive. I learn such great things on here, just love this site! I've been reading a lot on HT, and appreciate the good info I've gotten. If this is a reflection of people I will meet in Hawaii, I am grateful for them!

Yes, I've also read some hostile comments about outsiders, but I have a deep understanding of going to someone else's town, and learning to adapt to it, NOT the other way around!

Here's a funny story: when I moved to Arizona from Detroit (talk about culture shock, lol!) I had NO idea that the hard water would....um..affect my stomach...my friend laughed at me when I had the..um..upset .

I happily adapted to Arizona, and watched folks from "back east" try to push their "ways" on locals...how rude and presumptuous that you 'all know a "better" way! Same here in Las Vegas...a newbie can be spotted a mile away, and locals will react depending on how one presents onself. I do believe it's universal, and probably more so in Hawaii.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12