Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Originally posted by Queenolu
    I hear someone calling my name..... here I am....

Ok, yes I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have had 3 yard sales so far and that is just to get those things I don't use out of the house...

The house will be on the market tomorrow....goodness, I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Anyway, back to the topic.... I am selling EVERYTHING.... as much as it may hurt to do that.... I just don't see the need to spend the money to ship things... afterall, its just me...... since I don't know what size condo I am going to get... and based on what I know.... will be glad to get 600sq ft of space.... I plan to ship my car for sure.... the peace of mind is well worth the cost to ship the car... I know my car and the care that I have given it since I bought it... can't go buy someone's piece of junk and don't know how it will run. Everything else I am bringing will be sent by USPS and by plane in my suitcases...

I have already sold many of my big furniture already..... just need to sell my bed set and a few others....

HOPE... IT'S JUST YOU ALONE.... SO........... SELL SELL SELL....... you probably will not stay home long enough to watch that big screen TV anyway...

All my sentimental things/records will be left at my moms house.

New life... new beginnings... new things....

Pray for me everyone.... that I get a great offer on my house and all goes well with the sale.

Mahalo...
    no worry tita tayo -

I had to sign my mom's house away on the mainland before i uprooted everything and followed her here...

I didn't cry... I missed my friends and looked for it to being a new chapter in my life...

You have a strong mind and a good resume... you will do just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
      I kept my entertainment center/bookcase, my cookbooks (gourmet cook), all my kitchen stuff cause it's very good equipment. I kept my TV cause it was new, sold my stereo equipment. I kept one sofa table that I used as a desk, the new computer system, an Eames Chair and my bed & dresser.
      Wow, you have an Eames chair...which one ?

I'm a big Mid Century Modern geek. How much of that kind of stuff is available on the Islands ?
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Sorry to get you all excited - I had to sell it a few months after I got here. Was suddenly unemployed and needed rent money. But, the many years I had it, it sure was comfy. It was the big leather reclining style with the headrest and a wonderful footstool. I would love to have another but my income will not allow that - I was making plenny money when I bought it in San Francisco. Now, I'm very poor
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Queenolu, I can totally relate to this statement...in going to the storage space I have rented, and finally digging into my beautiful mother's belongings...then, the thought of selling my lovely home...well, I've been on the verge of tears all day today! All this "stuff" has brought back a lot of memories for me.

When I bought this place, it was the only place I was going to buy from then until I die...and how things have changed since!

I am such a lucky lady to have good friends...two of them helped me today by coming over, having coffee with me, and telling me how lucky I am, to be going on a wonderful adventure...a new lifestyle.

I will pray for you that you are doing the right thing, too, Queenie . I hope your home sells for a good price, and that you can manage to get through signing papers. Yes, I am by myself, leaving all behind..just like you....and I am a bucket of nerves. I don't know anyone in Oahu, and all the planning is overwhelming.

Comment

PS-If you play backgammon, I'd be happy to meet and play over coffee sometime, since we're in the same boat

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              Sorry to get you all excited - I had to sell it a few months after I got here. Was suddenly unemployed and needed rent money. But, the many years I had it, it sure was comfy. It was the big leather reclining style with the headrest and a wonderful footstool. I would love to have another but my income will not allow that - I was making plenny money when I bought it in San Francisco. Now, I'm very poor
              Oh, the bent plywood and leather lounger...the classic...most comfortable chair EVER? Those are worth big coin. There are copies floating all around Cali for under $500. Design Within Reach sells the new ones, licensed by Eames for like $2500. Yea, that's a great chair.

Sorry you had to sell it. If it was an older , original one, it would be worth lots o money now.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
                When I bought this place, it was the only place I was going to buy from then until I die...and how things have changed since!
                I can't completely sympathize because we bought our house as a "starter house" with the intent to refinance it or sell it and buy another later but we certainly had no plans to leave Portland after this. That feels weird. Been considering renting it out for a few years instead of selling, for investment reasons. We had some trouble letting go of my car too, which was also going to be my "last car" for a long time, but that was also for the best. I bought it before I got married and my wife can't drive it, and it halved our credit card debt and let me refinance the rest.. whoo! I get to take my job with me, which is awesome (for finances anyway). Lots of stuff like that "just working out" for us, and I'm hoping for more as this progresses!

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
                  PS-If you play backgammon, I'd be happy to meet and play over coffee sometime, since we're in the same boat
                  You know.... that is one game I have not spent any real time playing... I can't remember how to play it but that you move your buttons around...lol...

Well, when we both make it to the other side of the ocean... you can teach me.
                  Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha! I just moved here from Vegas 2 1/2 months ago, thankfully! Im not sure whats bringing you here but congrats on getting out of that horrbile place. As far as what to bring and what to leave, personally, if you cant bring it on the plane with you, leave it. I guess this depends how much disposable income you have but for me, I sold basically everything that couldnt come on the plane with me. I know the anxiety and the cold feet that comes that last few weeks. Thats why I moved so quickly. I knew I would probably talk myself out of it if gave myself the chance too, but I knew this move was for me.

As far as moving here, if you have any questions please feel free to pm me! I think this is a particulary good move for those from places like Vegas. Its no permanent holiday here but coming from a place like Vegas, I think we are in a particulary good position to appretiate the small things that make this place so special. The rudeness of Las Vegas starts to numb you after awhile. The horrible customer service and the greediness you experience everday starts to become the norm. Then you come here and realize it doesnt need to be that way. Good luck with your move and just breath! Step outside in the 110 degrees and realize soon it wont be like that. Go to Hilo Hattie and ABC store at the Alladin and have fun. Get yourself excited and realize you only live once. Is it a crazy move? OF COURSE! And thats what makes it so great. Again good luck, and keep us informed!!!
                    Last edited by rhscare; September 11, 2006, 08:12 AM.

Comment

The rudeness of Las Vegas starts to numb you after awhile. The horrible customer service and the greediness you experience everday starts to become the norm.

Precicely! This is one of the things I told myself after about a year of living here...that I would never turn into one of those rude and greedy people! (I have lived here for 11 years now, and have kept my promise to myself in this regard ).

The lady who helped to train me for my last management position kept saying over and over "you have such a positive, and calming energy about you, Hope, how do you do it?"

Hence one of the reasons for going to Hawaii, I felt like I could be myself there, not some "hardass" all the time (can I say that here? ) which, I'm capable of, but I don't like myself when I have to behave that way.

Anyhow, did you rent an apt. when you arrived? Sublet? My next order of business will be to figure out just where to go at first, lol.

Comment

Hope - I don't know what your timetable is but one of the first things I did when I decided to move back here was start up a subscription to the local newspaper. Also, I was able to open a checking account at a local bank via the internet - so I had a local account on which to write checks. I rented one of those "mail drop" boxes, also by internet, so I already had an actual street address for a local reference. I got credit reference letters from electric, gas & phone company in Calif. & brought those with me - I was able to have services turned on immediately and without having to make a deposit first. Your cell phone can be changed easily to a local number - we have most of the major carriers located here. The cell phone was the first thing I did here - well, that & cut my hair short cause it was so d*** hot! Did both of those things within 24 hrs of getting off the plane.

I think it was easier for me though because I already knew my way around, had old friends i could call on for references and a small ohana here. and now with HT, you also have a small ohana to give you pointers & help out when you need information.

Fran PS: I do play backgammon!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

As soon as the "moving sales" are over here, the condo gets listed. The last two in this complex sold in 8 days and 22 days, so it will probably sell rather quickly. How did you get a bank account online? I was wondering how to get my money over there, is there no B of A there? Which bank has online/convenient atms?

Also, I had a trac phone that I used for business/emergencies, I still have it on, and I wonder if trac phone will work over there, and if I'll have to change the locale/phone number. Soooo much to do, whew!

Not knowing a soul, there's a lot for me to learn there. I am looking forward to learning so very much

BTW. would you like to play an online game of bg? Just let me know, and I'll email you the invite )

Comment

I opened an account with First Hawaiian Bank. No, sorry - we kicked B of A out of here a few years ago It's a long story which I'm sure you will hear once you get here. Bottom line was - they just didn't fit into the community very well.

I don't even know what Trak Phone is - is it a cellular network? ah, showing my ignorance here.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

TracFone works here in Hawaii. Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Radio Shack sells the air-time cards as well as the phones. The thread titled Who's your cellular phone provider? has a few replies related to TracFone.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                                TracFone works here in Hawaii. Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Radio Shack sells the air-time cards as well as the phones. The thread titled Who's your cellular phone provider? has a few replies related to TracFone.
                                Thanks Helen - I just remembered you posting about getting one at Sam's Club. DUH - I'm really getting tired I guess. Have a good nite all - I'm off to sleepy time land
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X