Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping The Car...What Would YOU Fill it With??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping The Car...What Would YOU Fill it With??

Here's a fun question, after reading the threads a lot, I see that there are certain things that are hard to get on the islands..or have to be sent via friends n' family...so...

If you were me, what would YOU fill the car with when I ship it?

Cucumbers?
    Hot Chili?
    Marbles?? heehee...

Re: Shipping The Car...What Would YOU Fill it With??

anything that you DONT value

You don't know how many people are going to be driving your car once you drop it off at the docks and the contents inside the car are not insurable.

Comment

Nothing.....Matson gonna make you empty it from what I hear.

Plus....no matter what you put inside, guarantee if it's good enough, it will be long gone by the time it get's to Hawaii.

I bought a hot VW motor for my van. Took 11 weeks shipping. I just know some dockworker in LA saw it, outbound, and thought, hey, that will fit my kids race car. So bam! Next weekend, 5-9 trips down Fontana Dragstrip. Back to the crate.

Then it gets to Honolulu. Some smot ol broddah drivin fokliff for 66 years tink Hey, my grandkids VW would go like hell with that motor. So bam....7-9 trips down whatever road on Oahu the kids race on now.

Finally gets to my place.

I'm just imagining all this. Truth is it just took forever to ship.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

IF I could have a car shipped to here....I'd fill it with crackseed, Noh's products, real shoyu, sleepytime tea, cinnamon redhots, dentyne gum, liquid smoke, manapua, shave ice, saimin, poi, laulaus, cone sushi, plate lunches, kimchee, dentalfloss, redwhips, hidden valley dressing mix, nori, sumon, curry stew, mac salad, KFC coleslaw, slippers, rice candies, mochi, more crackseed, ti leaves, guavas, mangoes, lilikoi, butterfish, kulolo, jello, Hawaiian punch, passion-orange soda, rootbeer, Dr. Pepper, Kona coffee, chopsticks, ahi, wasabi, and the whole of the salad bar from Sizzler's.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Buggah! Now I'm hungry!
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Kala...lots and lots...you gonna need it.

Comment

Like others have said...nothing!

My first experience:
              My car had been tampered with between the time I left it in Long Beach and the time I picked it up in Honolulu. When I dropped it at the dock I was offered insurance but declined it because it was so expensive.

2nd experience:
              I Polaroided (before digi cameras!) the car, kept one set for myself and gave one set to the shipper. I brought the shipper out to my car and walked him around it with Polaroids in hand. Prior to shipping I had the sound system removed and sent it separately. I taped a large sign to the dashboard noting that the car had been photographed. No tampering this time! Maybe I was just lucky!

Comment

I wouldn't put anything in. Not even CDs or cassette tapes. Too much risk of pilferage.

Back in the old days, my friend asked to put his golf clubs in the trunk for the trip from Hilo to Honolulu. It arrived intact. Probably not worth stealing as it was just a department store set, not Pings or Callaways from the pro shop.

Comment

Hey I think the cars need to be empty, don't they?

I had a couple from Kauai, buy a tribute and was shipping it back to Kauai, they had done some shopping @ Costco and wanted to put stuff in the tribute, but the shipping guys said, no...they ended up paying for excess baggage at the airport...
                  Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
                  I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
                  email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

I hope that's a rhetorical question, as shippers require that your car must be totally and completely empty before shipping. No more than 1/4 tank of gas, too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      I hope that's a rhetorical question, as shippers require that your car must be totally and completely empty before shipping. No more than 1/4 tank of gas, too.
                      Pasha allows you to ship vehicles with a full tank of gas.
                      http://www.pashahawaii.com/images/pa...ppingguide.pdf

Considering the gas prices on the Big Island (with the exception of Costco), it's nice to be able to ship a vehicle with a full tank of relatively cheap gas.
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Just received a quote from Pasha:

The total rate to transport your vehicle from Silver Spring, MD to the port in Honolulu, HI is $2,500.00 for a standard sedan type vehicle. The rate breaks down to: $1,525.00 to transport your car from Silver Spring to the Port of San Diego and $975.00 for the ocean freight to Honolulu.

Hopefully someone will find it interesting. I was also planning to stuff the car lol but apparently it's not allowed.

My car is a 1998 Toyota Camry. We have to decide whether to get rid of it or to ship it. It has seen only 59,000 miles and I trust it more than another used car I could buy for the difference.

Comment

As many have said.... you can't ship anything with the car.

Reineke...... try and look for a company that ships out of Baltimore.... it may cost less... http://www.shipmyvehicle.com/default.aspx ....... that is the Horizon Vehicle Shipping Services website.... they quote me $1737 online from Baltimore....

They seem to have a good service record but call them for more info.

For all that is looking to ship your car... visit this site to check on the Ratings and Reviews for many of the companies out there... http://www.transportreviews.com/
                          Last edited by Queenolu; September 13, 2006, 07:51 PM.
                          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                          Mark Twain

Comment

I'd fill it with crackseed, Noh's products, real shoyu, sleepytime tea, cinnamon redhots, dentyne gum, liquid smoke, manapua, shave ice, saimin, poi, laulaus, cone sushi, plate lunches, kimchee, dentalfloss, redwhips, hidden valley dressing mix, nori, sumon, curry stew, mac salad, KFC coleslaw, slippers, rice candies, mochi, more crackseed, ti leaves, guavas, mangoes, lilikoi, butterfish, kulolo, jello, Hawaiian punch, passion-orange soda, rootbeer, Dr. Pepper, Kona coffee, chopsticks, ahi, wasabi, and the whole of the salad bar from Sizzler's.

LOL@SusieMisajon! That salad bar would be pretty rancid by the time it got there Thanks so much, after a very stressful day, I really needed the laugh.

I have a somewhat quirky sense of humor, and yes, it was only hypothetical silliness

Thank you so kindly, Tutusue, I will photograph it, fantascic idea!

I read the reviews on these shipping brokers, and geez, it's really a "hit or miss" situation! I guess I'll get several quotes before I take this plunge! Does anyone here recommend a good company to get the car from Las Vegas to Honolulu? Maybe I should drive the dang thing to LA myself?

Comment

I shipped my car from San Diego port to Hilo a month ago-$975 flat rate.

Car arrived the way it looked when it left (i gave it a car wash prior)

Pasha doesnt allow anything in the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X