Have you met someone famous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Have you met someone famous?

Just saw Koji Ariyoshi's bio on KHET tonight.

After I left the Navy in 1971, he hired me to work in Polynesian Exotics, his flower shop / liquor store on Nahua, between the International Market Place and the Ala Wai Canal.

I knew he had made the acquaintance of Chou En-Lai and Mao, so it wasn't like I didn't know his significant role in WW II.

But I was ignorant of his controversial local background, especially in the 40s and 50s. Sad, huh? Nah, ignorant is the right word.

When I left his employ in 1974 to head for CA, I was also ignorant of his outside activities (e.g., UH Ethnic Studies), other than his tours to China. As I recall, he met with the Chinese leader(s) during one of his visits.

He died much too young at 62 (by my math).
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by islandhippo
      I've also sung onstage with Kekua Fernandez.
      That's a great way to meet famous folks - on stage!

Last weekend, I got to sing harmony with Dennis & David Kamakahi and Roddy Lopez (ex-Pandanus Club.)

Comment

I met a few people at golds gym.
        Bruce Willis, Donna D'erico, were some of the Hollywoos stars that worked out there, Kelly Hu, Sean Ching, Dwayne "the rock" Johnson, were the local ones. The 1st celebrity I met was the late Pat Morita at Natsunoya Tea House, I was about 7 years old. I did see the cast of the BayWatch reunion at the Turtle Bay resort about two years ago, didnt get to meet them.
        www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Congrats to our own Pzarquon and TutuSue for their appearances in this week's MidWeek!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            Congrats to our own Pzarquon and TutuSue for their appearances in this week's MidWeek!
            Thats Pzarquon on page 42 (doesn't it figure the picture is kind of blurry)... however that is not his wife in the picture with him... as the caption would lead you to believe?

Also, I met Tutusue this weekend... Shes's in the Honolulu Pa'ina section

Congrads to the both of you

Comment

My wife are I are getting to be kind of famous on Kauai. We are on an Otsuka's furniture commercial they play over and over. I bet peope are sick of looking at us! We still have not seen it. We don't have cable.

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim
                I bet peope are sick of looking at us!
                welcome to the club.

Comment

I've met Franky Muniz and Scotty Ngyuen(for all you poker fans). I've met a lot of rock bands. I make sushi for Garth Brooks and his wife Trisha Yearwood almost every week. And I have had a personal meeting with Peter Carlisle in his office(I hear a lot of people don't like him).

Comment

Originally posted by burnt_bean
                    [...]And I have had a personal meeting with Peter Carlisle in his office(I hear a lot of people don't like him).
                    I think that depends on why they meet Carlisle!

Comment

Tom Selleck in a restaurant out by Kailua Beach Park. George Benson at the Kahaha Hilton. Jaclyn Smith (Charlie's Angels') doing a photo shoot at Bellows

Comment

• Re: Have you meet someone famous?

Originally posted by Leimamo
                        I took a picture with Jack Lord way back when he co-hosted a telethon at Iolani Palace Bandstand with Doug Mossman (I think that was his name, or it might've been Sterling Mossman -- those names stick out for some reason). I also took a picture with Richard Boone (old western star). Didn't actually meet Tom Selleck but watched him work while my son was an extra on the set of Magnum PI. Met Keali'i Reichel and had him sign my CD covers. I'll update if I remember anymore ... I have an excuse, I'm old .. heh
                        Would you still have that picture of Jack Lord? I would love to have a copy of it it, if you did. You got it right.....his name is Doug Mossman,and I think he was in some of the Hawaii Five-0 episodes.

Comment

• Re: Have you meet someone famous?

Originally posted by makepagirl
                          let's see...back in 70 or 71 our kindergarden class (palolo valley)took a field trip downtown..they were filming hawaii five 0..we got to stand next to a fountain &watch a jewelry store robbery scene,then jack lord talked to each of us..also back then my brother & i got to be on the checker's &pogo show!!then later in 81,met shirley from what's happening walking down the ala wai...pretty cool..does anyone remember the band dr.hook??got to eat watermelon with them back stage as a teen...also accidently bumped into neil young @a hippy/raggae festival in florida...my sis was knocked down by "rick from magnum" as he was coming outta "faces" in waikiki..he picked her up,kissed her forehead &asked my mom did she need medical help....
                          Hi there, I'm a fan of Jack Lord. Can you remember anything of your discussion with Jack Lord? Did you get any pictures at all? I would love to have a scanned copy.

Comment

I met Jason Momoa ("Baywatch Hawai'i") from doing an interview with a makeup person for my eighth grade video production class. I just remember it being an awkward situation for me because the makeup person was rubbing sunscreen on Jason's back during (or before?) the interview.

Also got to meet/interview/work with Andy Bumatai, who has high school ties with one of the advisers at Searider Productions. This is no secret, but he is such a funny guy.

The big one for me was meeting the rock band Jimmy Eat World. One of my favorite bands. They're so friendly and down-to-earth (no pun intended). Here's my website on the band and the experience.

Comment

I "met" Roland Cazimero in the drive-thru at Mickey D's in Kamuela. I forgot what he ordered it was a long time ago.

Comment

Are you meaning someone who is a famous Hawaiian artist? If you are, I have not, but I have a list of many artists I would love to meet:
                                Keali'i Reichel
                                Raiatea Helm
                                Natalie Ai Kamauu
                                Leilani Rivera Bond
                                all three members of Na Leo Pilimehana
                                Danny Couch
                                Um... am I missing anyone? Oh, both of the Brothers Caz.

If more people come to my mind I'll let you know. Has anyone met any of the ones I've listed. If you have, I hate you! No, just kidding.

A hui hou for now...
                                akrauth
                                'Alika

Comment

Working...
                                X