Have you met someone famous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you meet someone famous?

Let's see, I met Tom Selleck when they were filming on Lunalilo Home Rd. and I got his autograph. Nice guy. I met Jim Nabors(who hasn't?) at some home show at Blaisdell, Dolly Parton at the Kona Village, Ernest Borgnine at another hotel on the Big Island. All of these encounters happened ukubillion years ago. Last year my Buddhist group was fortunate to have a private audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama in India, and 'Kundun' stood next to me with his arm around my shoulder during the group photo shoot. It was indescribable being in his presence.

Oh yeah, and Allegra Goodman(the novelist) and Keoki Kerr were in my HS class.

Comment

Wow Aunty Nelly....That's a humbling list of people. Just wondering though...would the Dalai Lama consider himself "famous"? HMMMM?

Comment

"would the Dalai Lama consider himself "famous"?"

I think he'd have to admit that he is.

Never met him, but did once walk in his footsteps minutes after he had passed. I was up in the Himalayan foothills when a gentleman politely asked me if I would wait for a few minutes because His Holiness the Dalai Lama was about to use that path. I waited, watched him pass, and was quite honored to then follow after him.

Comment

Hoo boy...lesseee. I met da sistah of da bruddah of da muddah who wen throw da spam musubi at Unco Kewalo Kapuni's cousin's nephew's dog!!

eh does dat count?

Oh..yeah oh yeah ...I was at Ala Moana da time Kevin dem wen ding the car door of da guy who used to stay married to da kine dem's neighbor who was in one car chase down Nimitz and had their picture in da papah.

um..does dat count?

oh yeah oh yeah...Bozo wen delivah pizza at Sheraton Waikiki to da guy who stand behind da guy wen dey dance and dem guyz all stay haumana in da Halau da Chunky Okoles..wit da kumu hula Agnes Opu Nui from Naalehu side.

does dat count?

k'den jus' checkin.

Krash
          "I was going call 911 ...but I neva know da numbah"

Comment

One year the US Figure Skating National Champioships were held here in Boston. My oldest daughter (who figure skates) was lucky to be selected to hold the medals and flowers that were presented to the winners. Back stage we met Michelle Kwan and Sara Hughes. My daughter also met some of the other male figure skaters. We also met several pair skaters who medaled and got to have our photos taken with them on the ice. We've also met Nancy Kerrigan. Years before I took my daughters to Boston to watch the Champions On Ice show. We were leaving the side parking lot and Tara Lipinski crossed right in front of our van. Her mom was right behind her pulling her skating bag. I rolled the window down and hollered hello and waved to Tara! She hollered hello and waved right back!
            Lovena

Comment

Met? we weren't introduced, but something very cool did happen at the San Jose, California airport in the early eighties. It was around one PM on a weekday, and another Navy wife and I were picking up our hubbies that had been at some aviation school. We were in a part of the airport that was just about dead at the time. As Patricia and I walked together slowly, talking a bit, I recognized Ringo Starr and his wife, Barbara Bach! They were alone, no entourage or security, and what freaked me out the most was that they were dressed exactly like they had been just days previous, on the Phil Donahue show.

I couldn't believe they didn't seem to care if they were recognized or not, but no one seemed to notice them, and here they came from the opposite direction, not five feet away from our path. I grew up with Beatles music, it was a big deal, but I would not let myself act like some goofy fan, yet had to let them know I recognized them. (grin) So, thinking quickly, I said, lowkey and quietly, as they got right beside us..."the Phil Donahue show was great!"Patricia thought I was crazy, but in maybe three seconds, we heard them both, in unison, say "yeah." I then quickly told Patricia what the deal was, and she and I both turned around so she could maybe see that I wasn't joking, and recognize them.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Someone famous, huh?

Well, not to long ago,
                My hubby & I met up
                with Keali'i Reichel at
                the little eatery place
                close to where we live.
                We also went to his
                concert at a special event.
                My hubby knows Keali'i's good friend.
                Lance Orillo also knows my hubby, we ran into
                him, one day, to.
                Jim Hubbard & his band,
                Played in our wedding.
                He is a really good friend with
                my hubby. Infact,
                They are all really good people.
                Not trying to brag or anything.

Aloha & Take Care.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

let's see...back in 70 or 71 our kindergarden class (palolo valley)took a field trip downtown..they were filming hawaii five 0..we got to stand next to a fountain &watch a jewelry store robbery scene,then jack lord talked to each of us..also back then my brother & i got to be on the checker's &pogo show!!then later in 81,met shirley from what's happening walking down the ala wai...pretty cool..does anyone remember the band dr.hook??got to eat watermelon with them back stage as a teen...also accidently bumped into neil young @a hippy/raggae festival in florida...my sis was knocked down by "rick from magnum" as he was coming outta "faces" in waikiki..he picked her up,kissed her forehead &asked my mom did she need medical help....

Comment

oops.. i 4got!! does anyone remember "mad dog mayne"..tag team wrestler back in early 70's?? was with my aunty @ a store,she accidently slammed my hand in the door & kept goin..this huge guy"rescued"me..carried me into the store &bought me a large icee & bag of penny candy..did some searching on line..found one photo of him..big burly guy..wrapped in barbed wire!! nothing @ all like the big teddy bear i remember!!

Comment

Last weekend I ran into this guy who was on a couple of James Bond movies in the 1970s. He tried to sell me an autographed picture but I passed. He did let me take his pic with my digital camera.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        Last weekend I ran into this guy who was on a couple of James Bond movies in the 1970s. He tried to sell me an autographed picture but I passed. He did let me take his pic with my digital camera.
                        he's a heck of a nice guy. hard to believe "He tried to sell me an autographed picture".

Comment

spending time in L.A. and of course, here in hawaii and Waikiki, ya can't help but "meet someone famous"

over the past few decades, TOOOO many to list.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            spending time in L.A. and of course, here in hawaii and Waikiki, ya can't help but "meet someone famous"
                            over the past few decades, TOOOO many to list.
                            Same here. Doing FM radio in Los Angeles, waaaaaay too many to list.
                            One of the more bizarre/interesting events was smoking a little da kine with Timothy Leary. Wooooo-HOO!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Have you met someone famous?

I was flyin' from SF to Guam in 1969, military space available. Since that's a "hurry-up-and-wait" kind of deal, we had a lot of spare time between flights. At one point we headed over to the Officers' Club, and who should be performing but Lieutenant Uhura, aka Nichelle Nichols. I wasn't a Trekkie, but a couple of the people I was with were, and they were overcome. We met her, and she was unbelievably gracious. If you look at that website, she still seems to be pretty "real."
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                                Same here. Doing FM radio in Los Angeles, waaaaaay too many to list.
                                One of the more bizarre/interesting events was smoking a little da kine with Timothy Leary. Wooooo-HOO!
                                I hear thats where he got his famous sound bite; from you, a radio person:
                                TUNE IN.. turn on and.... oh ferget it. not that funny aftah all...

Comment

Working...
                                X