EW's 50 greatest High School Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EW's 50 greatest High School Movies

In the new Entertainment Weekly they list the 50 greatest high school movies. I agree with most of their picks, but I feel to see why Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(36) made the list.
    36. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2005
    No, we haven't lost our minds. One of J.K. Rowling's ingenious ideas was to blend two literary traditions, fantasy and coming-through-school fiction (à la Tom Brown's School Days). That's particularly true in Goblet, which depicts 14-year-old Harry's heightened state of adolescent anxiety, about the big (Quidditch) game, about finding a date for the big dance, and about juggling homework while saving the wizard world from evil Lord Voldemort. — Thom Geier
    . They could have replaced it with the classics River's Edge or Real Genius ,two awesome teenage movies.
    What are your favorite High School Movies?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: EW's 50 greatest High School Movies

My top 3 in this genre would be:

1. American Graffiti (1973)
    2. Grease (1978)
    3. The Breakfast Club (1985) - EW's #1 movie.

Note that it is very tedious to have to go through the pages of EW's list since none of the movies are put on a single page ranking, 1 - 50. Instead the website forces users to see groups of 10 fromn 50 to 11, and then go through each title one at the time from #10 to #1... all the while having to wait for slow loading ad banners to show up before the movie title does. What a drag. I don't know if the site has pop ups since I have those blocked. Just beware that the link in the original post is tedious viewing.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I don't know if two of my favorites would even fall neatly into the "High School Movie" category, even though they involve high school aged kids. I guess the angst and coming-of-age stuff could put them in the running:

1. "The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds" (1972)

2. "Carrie" (1976)
      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 15, 2006, 04:47 PM. Reason: Proof that editing capabilities can last more than 2 hrs ;-D

Comment

How could The Breakfast Club be ranked above Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wolverines, Remember the Titans, Ferris Buellers Day Off, or that one dance flick with young kevin bacon...forget the title.

Breakfast Club....lol...im sure.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          How could The Breakfast Club be ranked above Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wolverines, Remember the Titans, Ferris Buellers Day Off, or that one dance flick with young kevin bacon...forget the title.

Breakfast Club....lol...im sure.
          "Footloose"?

Comment

We have a winner !!
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The list is missing "Some Kind of Wonderful" (with Eric Stoltz, Lea Thompson, and Mary Stuart Masterson) and "Valley Girl" (with Nicholas Cage). I loved The Breakfast Club for the self-discoveries the teens made and what it had to say about and to teens, and I loved the pure entertainment value of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

two and three could be a bunch of titles but for me, #1 has to be fast times!
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I LOVED "The Breakfast Club!" It's one of my all-time favorite movies, which are legion.

I also loved American Graffiti and Grease. I liked Footloose, LOVED Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which was recently on cable and I watched it with my twin sons (they also loved it); and I really liked Fast Times (the 13-year-olds are not ready for that one, I-M-Mommy-Opinion).

I loved "Remember the Titans," though I consider it more a football movie, than a high school movie. I also loved "Radio" with Cuba Gooding Jr., in which high school was prominently featured, but which I also consider to be more a football movie, than a high school movie. Overall, of course, the movie was neither ABOUT football nor high school -- but rather, people, and kindness, the human spirit, etc.

Dialing the way-back machine WAAAAY back -- what girl did not fall in love with Sidney Poitier watching "To Sir With Love."? One of my all-time faves, as well.
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Warriors

"Oh warriorsssss Commmmme out and play with meeeeee"

Comment

How Many of These '80s Movies Do You Remember? (yahoo.com)

The 1980's montage with their signature music of high school rom-coms.

Comment

Working...
                      X