Least Commercials More Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Commercials More Music

When I am driving and have the radio on, it doesn't matter to me what station is playing. What matters most is finding a station with less talk and more music.
    Not sure if this has been asked here before, but, which station has the very least commercials? Maybe it's why I hardly watch tv, because of those darn but necessary commercials.

I'll check back to see what suggestions were offered.

Thanks.

Re: Least Commercials More Music

As much as commercials are not liked by listeners and viewers, they are a necessity in keeping revenues flowing into all commercial radio and TV stations. They keep the stations on air.

That said, the stations with probably the least amount of commercials are the non-profits. That would include Hawaii Public Radio (KHPR / KIPO), KTUH and the some of the religious stations.

While these stations are generally commercial-free, they do have on-air promos and public-service announcements. I think some programs on Hawaii Public Radio are precluded with a sponsor's announcement.

Your best bet to be entirely commercial and talk-free is to either A. Turn off your radio or B. Listen to your own music on CD, tape or MP3.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I agree, commercials are a neccessary evil. Also, I was also pretty sure KHPR/KIPO had the highest content-to-commercials ratio... but then again, a two hour opera or a BBC news broadcast might not be what 'people' had in mind in asking about music.

Still, we don't always have a CD or my wife's iPod, and we don't always listen to public radio... so I think it's still a fair question: Which conventional/commercial radio station gives you the most tunes?

Obviously, format is a big consideration, so even with more ads, you might be more likely to listen to a station if that's the station that plays the music you like. Our radio pretty much needs only two buttons: 99.5 KUCD (Bob) and 105.1 KINE (Hawaiian 105). Yet, I have no idea if there are more or fewer ads.

I suppose we could compare advertised "music blocks" -- you know, how KINE says they have 105-minute music hours (although how an "hour" can be anything but 60 minutes... never mind), or KRTR 96.3FM has 96-minute music hours... They make their "music blocks" a key point in their marketing, whether for drive time or "at work" time. But who's really got the goods?

I have to admit, I get annoyed when a station ID cuts into a "music block" to say something like, "more continuous music!" When, of course, their long-winded self-promo counts as an interruption in my book.

Comment

At the moment, KHPR gets the award for the *most* annoying commercial on radio, their ghastly "as the record turns" promos for their upcoming used-record sale.

It's even more annoying than the "Hawaiian Word of the Day".

Comment

Yes, but you remember it, don't you?

Comment

Pull out your walkman an hum along to your hearts content!

If you're looking for a radio station that has nill to small kine commercial load- you're looking for a station about to go dark. As someone said earlier in the thread, commercials keep the radio station afloat. When you listen to a station that pounds a lot of commercials- you're listening to a station that's doing well. A station like that can afford big money giveaways... KSSK... and the like.

I've never really got the "more music less talk" fight... because I want more than the music! If it really was "just the music"- hey brainiack that's what non-radio CD players... Cassette players... IPODs... 8tracks... MP3 players... or a good "make yourself happy sing-a-long" is for.

I want to be entertained- and that's the whole package- music- jock- or jock team- special extras they do- and I for one love a good commercial.

Some of the ads are funny as hell! That's why I can only handle my CD player for- so long... then it's back to the world of the living I find on my radio.

Nuff-

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
              At the moment, KHPR gets the award for the *most* annoying commercial on radio, their ghastly "as the record turns" promos for their upcoming used-record sale.

It's even more annoying than the "Hawaiian Word of the Day".
              What? You're not hanging on the edge of your seat to learn whether the guy's gonna die before the sale starts?
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Krater has 52 minute music hours, not 96........

Originally posted by pzarquon
                I suppose we could compare advertised "music blocks" -- you know, how KINE says they have 105-minute music hours (although how an "hour" can be anything but 60 minutes... never mind), or KRTR 96.3FM has 96-minute music hours... They make their "music blocks" a key point in their marketing, whether for drive time or "at work" time. But who's really got the goods?
                Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

That is why I listen to my iPod. On my computer, my playlist has about 7.5 hours of all kinds of music (and none of them are repeats).

Radio is free and if peope want continuous music, then get yourself a CD or MP3 player. This is the 21st century, and radio can only play so much until they have to play their sponsor's ads.
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                  X