Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starbucks, Jamba, or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starbucks, Jamba, or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf?

Yes, the Beard Papas are fresh filled. My favorite is the green tea. I think it's been about eight months since I had one.
    Haven't had anything from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
    I used to frequent SBx every day: $4.50 for a ventinonfatpeppermintmochawithwhipped. But now my husband and I buy our beans at Costco, where we grind them, and make a pot in the french press each morning. A lot cheaper and very delicious. I now go to SBx on occasion, and no one knows my name any more except the manager and a few old timers. That's OK with me. @;-)
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      I used to frequent SBx every day: $4.50 for a ventinonfatpeppermintmochawithwhipped. But now my husband and I buy our beans at Costco, where we grind them, and make a pot in the french press each morning. A lot cheaper and very delicious. I now go to SBx on occasion, and no one knows my name any more except the manager and a few old timers. That's OK with me. @;-)
      LOL---I get the beans from Costco too---French Roast. They changed the packaging recently and I had a brief moment of panic when I thought they discontinued the item.

And I am forced to purchase Starbucks as that is the only coffee available, save the stuff from the Vile Coffee Pot from Hell on our unit, at the hospital from 1900 on.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
        None of the above. When it comes to coffee I'm a creature of habit, and I usually go to Morning Brew in Kailua.
        Someone just told me about that place yesterday. I'm in LA, and he's from Kailua, but lives here now.

I'm staying in Kailua in a month, so I guess I'll be checkin that place out.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

None of the above. Who can afford that stuff? When I was in a position working night shift at the airport, the only place open all night was Starbucks and I got my fill of that overpriced place then.
          I carry my own teabags. I look for places that cost around $1. Sorry, but I'd rather use my $4 toward some real food.
          I buy expensive tea to drink at home, and $4 will keep me in tea for a couple of weeks.

Comment

bleh--we avoid starbucks and the related jamba for their corporate philosophies.

peete's, which it seems you can get only at great harvest, is a far smoother, more balanced coffee. do a comparison of their lattes side by side and you'll see exactly what we mean. but peete's french roast, brewed in a french press, is heavenly on a lazy weekend morning.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              bleh--we avoid starbucks and the related jamba for their corporate philosophies.
              I gave my friend in California who is addicted to SB a "Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks" bumper sticker - she actually put it on her car but it hasn't stopped her from going to SB. She said she gets funny looks from the drivers behind her at the drive-through window.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                I gave my friend in California who is addicted to SB a "Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks" bumper sticker - she actually put it on her car but it hasn't stopped her from going to SB. She said she gets funny looks from the drivers behind her at the drive-through window.
                that is quite amusing! addict, much? i guess a bumper sticker doesn't qualify as a good intervention, tho.

peete's, which it seems you can get only at great harvest, is a far smoother, more balanced coffee. do a comparison of their lattes side by side and you'll see exactly what we mean. but peete's french roast, brewed in a french press, is heavenly on a lazy weekend morning.
                the irony in this post, which i had not known when i posted it, is the founder of peete's is one of the original founders of starbucks.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

the irony in this post, which i had not known when i posted it, is the founder of peete's is one of the original founders of starbucks.
                  And he just died very recently, too.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

and the folks who brought Starbucks and Jamba to Hawaii, also brought us Blockbuster and Niketown.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I do six and eight teabags a day at home, two at a time in a giant 32oz. mug from "Big Dogs" outlets. I dig the Stash and Twinings brands cuz they are good, and have some excellent flavor assortments, and our base commissary stocks 'em.

Jamba? gotta work for them so I can have one every day, but yes, the Machta Green Tea mist, the lower calorie dairy based one, with soy protein as the free boost, and often two ounces of wheat grass mixed right in it, is my alltime fav. jamba has so many flavors I lust as I read the signs in there, but since I don't get into one even every week I just have to have my fav. once in there.

Starbucks? they have a chocolate chip drink, but the java chip with lower dairy base has enough caffeine in it, so I go for it, having a treat and my caffeine at the same time. Other times I"ll go light and have just some iced coffee with a tiny bit of dairy, and a hit of chocolate sauce, and no sweetener, man that thing gets me going, too.

By the way, Los Garcias mexican restaurant in Kailua has the absolute best ice tea I have ever been served in any restaurant in the world. It is sooo good that I have never wanted any type of sweetener at all in it, and for me, that's amazing, as I don't want a bitter taste and this tea isn't.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

After McDonalds came out with their large Iced Coffee Roast for $2.61, I vowed never to step foot in a Starbucks or a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf ever again.

I have no need for that fancy schmancy stuff anymore!
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Same here, but we draw the line at Jamba. The wife and Mel just love their product and have to admit their green tea blast or whatchamcallit is pretty darned good.

For coffee, homebrewed Costco decaf or McDonalds. For a treat, we go to Seattle's Finest, right across from where SB recently opened their new store. No class.

LL, we also found McD's iced coffee to be the bomb. Nothing fancy. Just plain'ol, good iced coffee.

Comment

Since I've quit coffee "cold turkey" a couple of weeks ago I'll have to go with Jamba Juice -- Orange Dream Machine. The closest one is about 60 miles away so I REALLY gotta be in the mood to make that drive (and have).
                            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Never was a coffee drinker, but NOE votes for McDonald's brew over Starbucks. For me, it's PEANUT BUTTER MOO'D at Jamba Juice. To think some time last year they were considering taking it off of the menu, I did "a little" lobbying to bring it back!
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
                                Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, starting in Brentwood, California in 1963, opened its first Hawai'i store in Manoa in November, 2005 franchised by Foodland. They have 5 stores total now on O'ahu (Ala Moana, Manoa, Koko Marina, Salt Lake, and Kailua) with 2 opening in the Ewa Town and Pearl City Shopping Centers. There is one on the Big Island in Kona and one on Kaua'i in the Waipouli Shopping Center. They are known for their Ice Blended and Tea Latte drinks.

http://www.coffeebeanhawaii.com

-Arturo
                                i was also driving up montsarrat over by diamondhead a couple of weeks ago and there's one there now too! i love their red velvet cupcakes. and "sugar" drinks (what i call anything that's not straight up coffee). btw, they do seem to be affiliated w/foodland, but the one in manoa is next to safeway (i guess b/c there's no foodland there).

jamba, i like the red tea razz thing, or i pick one and tweak it to whatever i feel like (usually sub juice for soy and sherbert for yogurt).

starbucks, vanilla chai latte or peppermint hot chocolate (or mocha) at xmas or caramel apple cider in the fall. mmm....

peet's--i think great harvest stopped carrying them. at least the great harvest downtown has. i was just there last week. however you can pick up the beans/ground beans at safeway.

we haven't tried the costco beans, but a friend turned DH onto the fair trade beans at walmart which he says apparently are awesome, esp. for the price. i guess the fact that they're fair trade makes up a little for the fact that i'm patronizing sam's club/walmart.

Comment

Working...
                                X