The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Someone dubbing himself "Captain America" replied to my blog post on the puppy throwing incident that "Iraqi insurgents are raising these dogs to deliver bombs in suicide terrorist missions against the marines... these terrorists gave the marine no other choice but to preempt a terrorist strike by removing the threat." I laughed out loud. Until I realized he was probably being serious.

Comment

Ladies and Gents, My Son, my Hero my LIFE has arrived HOME!! Thank you GOD!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Ladies and Gents, My Son, my Hero my LIFE has arrived HOME!! Thank you GOD!

Auntie Lynn
        Best news of the weekend, Lynn.

Comment

YaY!!!!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

• Puppy-throwing incident

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            I've seen an impressive amount of outrage out there online over this puppy incident from folks who don't seem particlularly concerned about some of the other lives being adversely impacted by the American presence there.
            Well, it looks the “outrage” is about to be renewed with today's news.

2 Marines disciplined over puppy-tossing video
            Lance Cpl. David Motari is being processed for removal for his role, the Marine Corps said, and Sgt. Crismarvin Banez Encarnacion also has been punished.
            Frankly, I’m at a loss for why Encarnacion is also being punished. Motari is the one who did the dirty deed.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/roadsid...23072809990001

Looks like more bad news for the left. Peace in Iraq would be the worst thing that could happen to the Democrats.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Interesting article, Tim. I noticed particularly the following points:
                Military leaders cite several factors for the drop in attacks and deaths. They include: New vehicles...Iraqi assistance...Improved surveillance...
                ... paying the Sons of Iraq is a particularly good investment, said Dakota Wood, a military analyst ...
                Nothing about the "surge" in U.S. troops, however. I would think the Pentagon would want to give credit to that action as well.

Comment

Peace has been slowly evolving in Iraq for the last 4-5, even 7 months. It is only recently that the news is coming out of the larger media. O'Reilly has been ringing bells for months.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

In The Advertiser this morning:
                    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...AKINGNEWSFRONT

Bomb kills four Americans in Baghdad

Associated Press

"BAGHDAD — A bomb struck a district council building today in Baghdad's Shiite militia stronghold of Sadr City, killing at least 10 people, including four Americans — two soldiers and two government employees, U.S. and Iraqi officials said."

Our Soldiers are in harms way 24/7........
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

TimKona, your post stating that peace is the worst thing for Democrats is revolting and (your political persuasions aren't known to me) typical of how the Bush/Cheney dead enders characterize situations. The right has shown their total disregard for anything but the hardest core partisanship imagineable, especially during this current and most disgraceful administration.
                      This kind of crap is another reason why this country is polarized so badly, and rightfully so. Rightwingers have been wrong on virtually everything good and correct for decades, and it's collective results are absolutely killing this country.
                      Dems (and any/all non-righties) are all for this stupid BS so called war being over in the best way possible asap, no matter where the political winds blow, and they do blow, and fully respect every troop that serves, is injured, or killed in this, former, and the next BS war instigated by Republicans. Dispite the fact that many are over there doing incredibly hurtful things every day to innocent civilians that are to say the least unneccessary.
                      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; June 24, 2008, 07:07 AM.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Rightwingers have been wrong on virtually everything good and correct for decades...Dems (and any/all non-righties) are all for this stupid BS so called war being over in the best way possible asap
                        Ron, your post implies that only left-leaning people and politicians support ending the war in Iraq. This is false. U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), and five other Republican congressman actually voted against authorizing the Iraq War. In the Senate, Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-Rhode Island) also voted nay. Sen. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, voted FOR the authorization of military force. She has refused to apologize for this.

Since then, other conservatives like Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska) have repeatedly chastised Bush and expressed vocal opposition to prolonging the war in Iraq.

It’s easy to blanketly blame conservatives for everything wrong in this country, but the reality is, many of them are good people with good intentions. The real problem lies with the “neocons” like Karl Rove and Paul Wolfowitz who have hijacked the Republican Party and its agenda.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Yes, it was a generalization, but only a slight one and about the only example that can be found of any importance.
                          There are probably few absolutes in this world, but republicans being the bane of this country, and setting the lowest standards around the world for bad, is undeniable. They have told their political and white collar criminals in this country and the other despots on this planet that it's OK to do whatever, and the US, except for a little lip service at best, won't do a damn thing about it now.

It is indeed easy to blanketly blame repulicans for everything wrong, not just in America but everywhere, as they are to blame. Go down the endless list of problems and you'll ultimately find them as the root cause, or enablers, or guilty by ommission. This is not to say that others don't share 'some' culpability as well in many matters, but the lion's share goes to our great friends on the right. And what a shame they have corrupter the word RIGHT as well!
                          Plus, how can the 'good ones' stay as republicans after 9/12, not to mention the rest of 'the Bush legacy'? Guilty by association in my book.
                          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; June 24, 2008, 03:57 PM.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yes, it was a generalization, but only a slight one
                            You’ve got to be kidding me, Ron. Would you care to stick Abraham Lincoln in there too?

republicans being the bane of this country, and setting the lowest standards around the world for bad, is undeniable. They have told their political and white collar criminals in this country and the other despots on this planet that it's OK to do whatever, and the US, except for a little lip service at best, won't do a damn thing about it now.
                            In this single paragraph, you have confused Republicans, the CFR, conservatives, neocons, Democrats and the CIA. Each of these entities played (and continue to play) a separate role in the vague concerns you outline. I would seriously suggest you do some research before what little is left of your credibility evaporates.

Plus, how can the 'good ones' stay as republicans after 9/12, not to mention the rest of 'the Bush legacy'? Guilty by association in my book.
                            Jim Jeffords (Independent-Vermont) was a Republican who left the GOP prior to voting “nay” on the Iraq war. Lincoln Chafee is now a Democrat who has endorsed Obama. Ron Paul left the Republican Party in 1988 to run for President as a Libertarian. He has since returned. The current Libertarian candidate, Bob Barr, is a former Republican. And even three-time presidential candidate and MSNBC commentator Pat Buchanan, who served in the Nixon and Reagan administrations, has renounced the Republicans in favor of the Reform Party.

In contrast, Joe Lieberman, a man who owes the Democratic Party his soul, has not only endorsed John McCain, he is frequently mentioned as a possible running mate. He and Hillary make a pair. So shouldn’t we condemn Democrats as well? “Guilt by association.” YOUR WORDS.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

However way anyone wants to assign blame for the war in Iraq, what's clear is this. The Republican brand has really been tarnished for the last couple of years. Even my brother (a lifelong GOP voter) acknowledges this. Bush and his administration leaving the country mired in an unpopular war in Iraq while Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda are still on the loose nearly 7 years after 9/11. And then there's the economic mess we are in. The recession, mortgage crisis, and out-of-control gas prices.

Dare I say it? The Republicans in 2008 find themselves in a deeper hole to dig out of than in '74 with Watergate.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How to get out of it? Any suggestions?

Here is the best I can come up with. From the start, I admit it has serious flaws but it is very hard to imagine this war ending any way but badly...US pulls out, establishes heavy base in Kuwait...tells Iraq to sort it out and that if they establish an Al Qaeda dominated gvt. or any other radical gvt. it will be eliminated by missile attack. Horrible, I know.

Obviously Saddam Hussein was not a nice guy, but it is also obvious that Iraq was a fractured society that needed to be held together with an iron fist if it was not to disintegrate. Hussein did that. Iraq was a natural counterbalance to Iran, which automatically took dominance in the region once Iraq became the basket case we made it. So now we are mad at Iran. We need to clearly understand that starting a war with Iran would make the war with Iraq look like a day at the beach, it would be a disaster for the whole world definitely including the US. Yet conservative commentators are now saying that if Obama wins in November Mr. Bush will have every incentive to attack Iran. Would that be considered blackmail or extortion?

Finally, one of the sharpest pieces of international politics of the 20th century was President Bush's--the elected one's--decision to NOT attack Iraq after liberating Kuwait. Leaving Saddam Hussein in power kept our troops and our money and our economy off the line. Hussein was wounded but still able to hold Iran at bay. The fine balance between Iran and Iraq was maintained. I repeat...never send a spoiled rich brat to do a man's job.

Several years ago Air America aired an interview with Mr. Bush's economics professor from college, a professor Tsurumi, who said that Mr. Bush would seldom do any work, and would fail as a result, and that when he failed he would always blame those around him. Sound familiar? You can Google Professor Tsurumi's interview. What a shame the ha ha ha news media never did any background on Mr. Bush before the 2000 election.

Comment

Working...
                                X