General NFL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: General NFL Thread

We are totally doing the NFL Pick'em again this year, but with so many fans aboard now, I'm wondering how many of you would be interested in an HT-only fantasy football league? I proposed this two years ago and I think Ryan was the only taker (!).

What I have in mind is a Yahoo! league, head-to-head, with a live online Yahoo! draft. We'll find a good time for even you mainlanders to rock the draft, if we get enough people for the league.

I figure six players and we'll roll. Say aye if you can't get enough football, or if, like me, you have to resort to artificial ways to get excited because your team sucks!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey Scrivener, I'm ready for some football. Let me know the details. I'm from the mainland (West Coast), but unless the draft will be after 9 or 10PM Hawai'i time, it'll be fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        What I have in mind is a Yahoo! league, head-to-head, with a live online Yahoo! draft. We'll find a good time for even you mainlanders to rock the draft, if we get enough people for the league.
        I'll play if there's enough interest here.

Just had one of my fantasy drafts last week. Scored the first pick, so am pretty much guaranteed a spot in the playoffs with LT on my team, barring injury *knocks on wood*

My starters
        QB Vince Young
        RB Ladainian Tomlinson
        RB Willie Parker
        WR Chad Johnson
        WR Reggie Wayne
        WR Hines Ward
        TE Vernon Davis
        Defense San Francisco
        K Matt Stover

Pretty stoked with this team, and think it has a real shot at taking the league. Bench is solid with guys like Hasselbeck, Alex Smith, Housh, Tatum, K-Jo, and some sleepers. Got my money auction league draft in a couple weeks, too, and am jacked about that.

Football season at last! My favorite time of the year!!!

Comment

I went to see a CFL game here in Canada.. Tiger Cats vs Bombers.. and I didnt know Tigers had a hawaiian player.. Timmy Chang.. hes a QB but he didnt play too many times.. but when he did.. damn he was good.. and quick.. scored them some if I remember right..

Comment

blank. edited.
            Last edited by ploal5333; September 12, 2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
              Seattle's Mike Holmgren with lei, 1:10 into the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8024a3bc
              Re the spying scandal, I think the NFL should ban the Patriots from post-season play for a two-year period, similar to what is done at the collegiate level for certain improprieties. I really don't think penalizing by taking away draft picks would hurt the organization much.

If you take away any chance of a repeat Super Bowl that would really get the players in a huff, not to mention costing the owner loads of cash.

Comment

Re the spying scandal, I think the NFL should ban the Patriots from post-season play for a two-year period, similar to what is done at the collegiate level for certain improprieties. I really don't think penalizing by taking away draft picks would hurt the organization much.

If you take away any chance of a repeat Super Bowl that would really get the players in a huff, not to mention costing the owner loads of cash.
                I'm going to second something I read in a column earlier today. A 2-year playoff ban is overly harsh for this act. Stealing signals is wrong, it's seedy, but it's not a major sin. Everyone does it in form or another (why do you think coaches cover their mouth when they speak), and I believe some coaches even admitted to doing so. What the Pats did, however, was just stupid. To have a guy with a camera roaming their sidelines pointed at the coaches is ludicrous. I heard about a coach in the CFL who would send someone with a camera to scout their opponent from the stands the week prior to playing them. That's how you do it. I think a high draft pick is a harsh penalty. Keep in mind that NFL teams consider first day draft picks to be viable NFL players, most of whom should at least be able to contribute. Thus, losing a first day draft pick is significant in terms of team building. Maybe the NFL could take away a 2nd pick for 3 years or something like that.

Comment

I was reading some of the message boards and one of the 'rumors' was that Tedy Bruschi's stroke was caused by steroid use. Anyone else hear that?

Comment

Shows which games are being shown in your area. From the Titans msg board:
                    "The maps come out around Wednesday. Here is the link to the site:"

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

Comment

I was reading some of the message boards and one of the 'rumors' was that Tedy Bruschi's stroke was caused by steroid use. Anyone else hear that?
                      I listen to sports radio way more than I should, but it is something I do take enjoyment in while spending my days on whatever farm implement I might at the control of on a particular day. To be specific, I listen to WEEI-AM 850 out of Boston, (at least when I'm in New England and not on my annual winter farming assignment in the Caribbean) which is New England's premier sports talk radio station, and in the last couple of years or so that have passed since Bruschi had the stroke, I haven't heard any rumors, at any time, about its cause as being somehow related to steriod use.

WEEI is a typical East Coast sports radio station: Very cut-throat, never one to mince words kind of station.

In fact, the Dale and Holley Show, which is on 10AM to 2PM (and can be heard on the Net) is considered one of the rudest sports talk shows on the American air waves. In all the time I've listened to that show, I've never heard of any steriod allegations in regards to Bruschi's stroke, and if there was a show that was going to talk stink about someone, whatever dirt they might want to discuss, the D&A Show certainly would have covered it.

I really don't think that their hasn't been any talk about Bruschi and steriods simply because of regional favoritism, or the station wants to protect home-team players. I just don't think there has been much to substantiate whatever rumors there might still be floating around about Bruschi. Perhaps Bruschi might be news elsewhere, but it's a dead issue here.

The big talk here, like just about everywhere else, is the Patriot spying episode. Some Northeast radio stations (New York and Boston stations) are trying their darndest to foment a feud between Belichick and Mangini, which is exactly what they want. A feud like that would complement the battle royal soon to take place this weekend at Fenway between the Yankees and Red Sox! Make great press in the Boston Herald and NY Post.
                      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 13, 2007, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                        I'm going to second something I read in a column earlier today. A 2-year playoff ban is overly harsh for this act. Stealing signals is wrong, it's seedy, but it's not a major sin. Everyone does it in form or another (why do you think coaches cover their mouth when they speak), and I believe some coaches even admitted to doing so. What the Pats did, however, was just stupid. To have a guy with a camera roaming their sidelines pointed at the coaches is ludicrous. I heard about a coach in the CFL who would send someone with a camera to scout their opponent from the stands the week prior to playing them. That's how you do it. I think a high draft pick is a harsh penalty. Keep in mind that NFL teams consider first day draft picks to be viable NFL players, most of whom should at least be able to contribute. Thus, losing a first day draft pick is significant in terms of team building. Maybe the NFL could take away a 2nd pick for 3 years or something like that.
                        I think that in addition to the draft picks, they should be forced to forfeit the game(s) they were caught red handed cheating and not even give them a loss for it. Erasing wins for bad conduct would get you more attention than a silly fine that any of these people could just whip out their checkbooks and pay. I guarantee if you started taking away wins and not replacing it with a loss would pretty much put an end to this bevhavoiur, because they would end up playing less games that season than everyone else and pretty much doom the postseason, as to enter the playoffs you have to play a 16 game schedule.
                        Last edited by Kittrick; September 14, 2007, 04:18 PM. Reason: I had more to add

Comment

Working...
                        X