No announcement yet.

What's up with Djou?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i just heard Charles D Jou will Run for congress.

You have to give credit to those people who believe in themselves enough to run against the stalwart icons in Washington, D.C. It isn't cheap, and the odds are great. Ours is a democracy and it's important that people step up and run for office. It would be much worse if politicians ran unopposed.

That said, who is running against Mufi? Mufi is conducting big fundraisers with no obvious candidate to counter him just yet. When is the deadline to file papers? Where's Lilian Hong? Duke Bainum? Waldo?

Well, thank you for your time.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: i just heard Charles D Jou will Run for congress.

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      You have to give credit to those people who believe in themselves enough to run against the stalwart icons in Washington, D.C. It isn't cheap, and the odds are great. Ours is a democracy and it's important that people step up and run for office. It would be much worse if politicians ran unopposed.
      The odds are stacked against Djou, whether he runs for mayor or Congress in 2008. Both Mufi and Abercrombie not only have the advantage of being incumbents, but they each have multi-million dollar warchests at their disposal. But I think Djou is making the smart move in setting his sights on Congress. Since it is a federal office, the state's "resign to run" law would not apply to him and he can keep his city council seat while running for US Representative. Even if Djou loses this year, it would increase his name/face recognition and give him a leg up on a campaign in 2010, whether it be for Congress (esp. if Abercrombie resigns to run for Governor) or mayor (if Mufi likewise resigns to run for Governor or Congress).
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: What's up with Djou?

I have my hotdog cooked and ready. Do I want Djou mustard on it or some Mufi on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          I have my hotdog cooked and ready. Do I want Djou mustard on it or some Mufi on it?
          Too funny.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Like all councilmembers, Charles Djou has a 2-term limit on the council. His term expires in 2010, hence his run for higher office.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've listened to Djou. He's smart and articulate. There's something about him that seems to be off-putting to many people, but that aside it's often helpful to have an independent thinker in politics. We may not always agree with the independent thinkers but having someone scrutinize the process and the information before decisions are made (rather than having a whole herd of politicians rushing towards the same outcome regardless of the information and sometimes heedless of the process) often results in better decisions. I agree that Djou's chances are slim against Abercrombie but I'm sure he knows that. Good for him if he's willing to wage a difficult campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                Like all councilmembers, Charles Djou has a 2-term limit on the council. His term expires in 2010, hence his run for higher office.
                Exactly. Which is why I said that a campaign (even an unsuccessful one) in 2008 would give Djou a boost for a possible 2010 campaign for mayor or Congress. I didn't say re-election to the council was an option for him.

Of course, the thought that 2008 could be a stepping stone for Djou in 2010 assumes that he will at least be successful in securing the GOP nomination for Congress this year. If Djou can't even get that far, then he probably needs to set his sights lower (state legislature) if he wishes to stay in elected politics after his present council term expires.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 24, 2008, 10:50 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

And patriotic to be putting his life on the line for his country as an Army Reserve Officer.
                  No wonder! I thought I'd seen him shopping at the Commissary at Pearl harbor!! But I convinced myself that he must have a twin - I should have known those teeth could only have come from ONE mouth!!!
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I don't even know what he stands for. It seems on every issue, he just simply plays the opposition and says no. But that doesn't mean that's good. So what does he support? He seems more like someone just trying to fly under the radar to not jeopardize his political career.

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...onnect-voters/

Interesting. According to foxnews, the GOP considers Djou a potential "right messenger" to help revitalize the party. They're seeking "nontraditional" candidates to help the GOP appeal to women and racial minorities (and union members and young people)? Somehow I had not thought of Djou as a nontraditional candidate but I admit that's from my Hawaii influenced perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                        According to foxnews, the GOP considers Djou a potential "right messenger" to help revitalize the party. They're seeking "nontraditional" candidates to help the GOP appeal to women and racial minorities (and union members and young people)? Somehow I had not thought of Djou as a nontraditional candidate but I admit that's from my Hawaii influenced perspective.
                        Djou's Asian background is a novelty for mainland GOPers. But for folks like us in Hawaii, it's old hat.

Hiram Fong. Pat Saiki. Mike Liu. All of those veteran Republicans have dabbled in politics at the state and federal level. Who knows? Djou might very well follow in their footsteps.

Comment

Working...
                        X