Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is drinking old sodas bad?

Default Is drinking old sodas bad?

I just realized I drank three cans of soda that were a month passed their expiration date (the date that was on the bottom of the can). When I took a closer look, the bottom was corroded for sitting in the cooler. I guess the previous owner didn't clear out the sodas and now the current owner (my boss) thought they were new. There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

Will I be okay after drinking those stuff, or should I go to the doctor?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Lightbulb Re: Is drinking old sodas bad?

Personally, I am much more inclined to adhere to the expiration dates on cans, then plastic or glass bottles. The corrosion or rust that you refer to makes me weak in the stomach. Blecch!!!

Default Re: Is drinking old sodas bad?

For sure, if it was a "diet" drink with Splenda or aspartame (Equal) in it, stick with the expiration dates on the can. After awhile, the artificial sweeteners disappear from the drink. Cans of diet soda won't corrode, but those with high fructose corn syrup (most of the regular soda) in them---none of the popular sodas use cane sugar anymore (too expensive)--can get corroded with time.

If you're lucky and ever come across a bottle or can of Coke that was manufactured in Mexico (they still use cane sugar there), you will taste a big difference between what we're used to and what the Mexicans get to drink. I doubt you'll get sick from drinking the cans that you did drink, though.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 18th, 2006 at 03:07 PM.

Was the rust only on the outside of the can?

I drank a can of Diet Coke that was past it's expiration date by a few months, it didn't have any rust on the outside of the can but the taste of the soda was kind of bad. Didn't get sick through.

Another hint not to drink or eat things from cans is if the outside of the can has been expanded out.

Confuscius say:
    try to avoid foods in cans as much as possible.
    Eat fresh and whole as much as possible.
    Drink water.
    And black coffee or tea (no sweetening goop).

pax

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Confuscius say:
    try to avoid foods in cans as much as possible.
    Eat fresh and whole as much as possible.
    Drink water.
    And black coffee or tea (no sweetening goop).

Confuscius also say:

If drinking old soda is bad...then is drinking new soda good?

So Weedhopper...if drinking new soda is bad...then drinking old soda must be good.

And Confuscius must be Republican because:

If it is good to be right and right is Conservative...then it must be bad to be left and we all know left is to liberalism For is it wrong to be right?

Ah so Master I must drink old soda and become a Republican...I'm so confused! As you should be my student.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    Was the rust only on the outside of the can?
    From what I could tell, only the bottom had the corrosion. The top had some dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Drink water.
    After I saw the gunk that came from the tap in the bathroom, I don't think I'll be drinking water for a while.

I know my boss abandoned the store for a few months, but I'm filipino and I can probably get it back into shape.

There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

As for "old" water bottles, I would adhere to expiration dates. If the bottle was out-dated and sitting out for a while or in the hot sun, please think about the plastic chemicals that can be transferred into the water content. I'm sure the water would probably taste metallic or with a plastic taste.
    Also, I saw on a news program about not re-using water bottles. I guess the plastic must wear down and effect the water content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake's Ohana
    Also, I saw on a news program about not re-using water bottles. I guess the plastic must wear down and effect the water content.
    Part of the problem comes from "backwash" (don't ask me to explain here...); the bacteria will eventually cause floral growth in the plastic bottle, which can make you ill. Generally, you can reuse them for about a week - then recycle them. Otherwise, the pennies you would save in re-use will be cancelled out by ill health.
    If you want to reuse a water bottle, get a Nalgene one, as their chemical structure makes them less conducive to the afore-mentioned growth than PET bottles (but you still have to clean them regularly.)

Leo -

Does this hold true for people who drink out of the same plastic cups each and every day?

Why is it just plastic bottles?

I've used my same beer mug for about 4 years...(at least it's glass)

But, my wife has her favorite cup as well as my baby...and those cups are plastic

(on a funny note... I got an email from someone in a supervisory position passing on a Urban Legend... however, my supervisor was convinced that microwaving plastic items would emit stuff into your food too funny... URBAN LEGEND!)

The backwash in a cup is not as much as it is in the way we drink from bottles, plus it's easier to thoroughly scrub the entire inside surface of the cup, which you cannot really do with a bottle. Even your favorite cup or mug ought to be washed weekly, unless you're into experimental science.

Quote Originally Posted by doc1456
    I just realized I drank three cans of soda that were a month passed their expiration date (the date that was on the bottom of the can). When I took a closer look, the bottom was corroded for sitting in the cooler. I guess the previous owner didn't clear out the sodas and now the current owner (my boss) thought they were new. There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

You're probably going to die.

It's too late for the doctor.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAzza

Sorry.
    Might as well go ahead and eat that spinach you were going to toss into the trash.

Drinking any kine soda is bad. Old or not.

No forget to brush your teeth.

serisously doc...if it's only a month... I wouldn't worry about it too much...

the corrosion on the outside of the can could have been from almost anything....

However, if we don't hear from you in the next days...
    can I have the honor of writing the epitaph...

"Here lies doc.... went out by a can of bad soda....RIP"

J/K hope your ok dude....

but sheesh... I eat eggs past the expiration date!

No worry...it's only a suggested sell-by date for canned goods. Anyway, IF the bird flu pandemic hits, you'll be surprised at what you'll be able to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
    Drinking any kine soda is bad. Old or not.

No forget to brush your teeth.
    In college one of my jobs was at a Pepsi bottling plant. A couple times a week a fork lift would spill a pallet of soda, breaking the bottles and covering the floor with fresh soda. By the time we were done sweeping up the broken glass and mopping up the soda...the concrete under the mess would be nearly white.

Yeah I saw that all the time, but even still, pokahku head me would still drink the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    If you're lucky and ever come across a bottle or can of Coke that was manufactured in Mexico (they still use cane sugar there), you will taste a big difference between what we're used to and what the Mexicans get to drink.
    I've mentioned this in a previous post before that Coca-Cola sweetened with cane sugar is still manufactured in the USA during the Passover season.

I remember telling a friend of mine, who happens to be Jewish, how I missed cane sugar sweetened Coca-Cola. He told me that if I ever really wanted some, that I could still get it for a brief period of time in the spring. During the Passover season in spring, many East Coast bottlers of Coke will make special batches of cane sugar Coke, to be consumed at Passover, as regular corn syrup sweetened Coke is not certified as kosher for consumption during Passover. The cane sugar Coke, available in 2 liter bottles, can be distiguished from corn syrup sweetened Coke, in the markets, by the color of the screw-off caps on the bottles; regular corn syrup sweetened Coke has the usual red caps, the cane sugar sweetened Coke has yellow caps, with (if one looks close enough) something written in Hebrew, as well as certification that it has been approved as kosher for Passover consumption by a local rabbinical council.

Like Miulang said, there is a marked difference between the two...the cane sugar variety is so sweet in comparison to the corn syrup variety.. In fact, the cane sugar variety is so sweet I swear I feel plaque building up on my teeth minutes after drinking it! All told, I now prefer the corn syrup variety. ..it seems crisper and more refreshing to me.

I was just looking at this, again....you're not a real 'doc', are you?

This is all too funnyyyyyyyyyyy...

Girl you will be fine. Those are sell by dates..... and yes, the soda may be flat and all........ but it surely will not kill you.

Manoa.... I agree with you... I eat eggs past the sell date..... just make sure they are welllllllll coked... afterall... we refigerate them...
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MadAzza
    Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN
    Might as well go ahead and eat that spinach you were going to toss into the trash.
    This is exactly what I need to see when I log on to HT first thing in the morning (which I only did today, because of a conference call at home.) Thanks for the laughs, you two.

I'm guessing anyone whose folks go way back in Hawaii has acquired some tolerance to consuming canned goods past their expiration date. No worrries.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

I was just looking at this, again....you're not a real 'doc', are you?
    I got that nickname from Boy Scouts, when I used to always carry a first aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenolu
    Girl you will be fine. Those are sell by dates..... and yes, the soda may be flat and all........ but it surely will not kill you.
    That's the first time I saw someone refer to me as a female. wow.

I got that nickname from Boy Scouts, when I used to always carry a first aid kit.

That's the first time I saw someone refer to me as a female. wow.
    Well...that IS a girl in a skirt, the picture avatar. You gonna explain?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Well...that IS a girl in a skirt, the picture avatar. You gonna explain?
    Well his name is Adrian and that avatar is of a cute little girl and there have been attempts for girls to join the cubscouts.

But Adrian is a unisex name as in Jesse (my little one).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast