Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

Default Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

I've gone out to dinner twice in the past two days, since my house is a wreck from the moving sales.

I'll have to say...I've gotten very odd service! The first night, the server checked on me FIVE times...a little bit of overkill? Well, then, when I wanted the bill...she vanished! Grrrrr!

Night two, I wanted a salad with the fish n' chips...the waiter brought it. Before I could chomp down four bites, he comes sashaying over with my dinner. Sigh. I told him to please take it back until I finish my salad. Sheesh!

Since I've been in the f&b business for some 29 years...I may be a little picky about service...but, don't you think the quality of service has seriously declined over the years? What is your biggest peeve about dining out?

Default Re: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

I would have to say...when telling the server about something wrong with the order (usually for me is some unwanted foreign non food object in the food) I get various responses-usually none of them ideal. From calling over several people to confer over my food at the table and my all time favorite -one person laughed and tried to tell me that, the item was part of the food...
    Sometimes you can get an apology, sometimes you get your food replaced, most of the time I get a blank look as if to say..What should we do? we have no idea...
    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

There just is no customer service out there anymore. Service are terrible and most of the time over here where I live...... it's like they are doing you one huge favor.
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hope
    I've gone out to dinner twice in the past two days, since my house is a wreck from the moving sales.
    I feel you on this this Hope about eating out .... I have been basically eating out for the past month.... the house was a mess to get it ready for sale... now that it is on the market... I still can't cook because I have to maintain everything in clean tip top shape..... I barely live in the house now because I am confined to one room and make sure I wipe and clean up everything immediately.

I can't wait until I can act like I live in the house again...... but then.. I will be getting ready to move out.

Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

I tend to like to eat facing the entrance of the restaraunt...

I like to see who's coming in I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Queenolu
    There just is no customer service out there anymore. Service are terrible and most of the time over here where I live...... it's like they are doing you one huge favor.
    I love to dine out, every day for lunch (it provides a break from the office), as well as a couple of dinners a week. Bad service, good service - you get the whole range. If I get terrible service somewhere, I don't come back, so I don't know if that's an ongoing issue with that location. (One chance to make a first impression and all that...) In places with good service, I become a regular, and the service tends to get even better over time. If they slip up once in a while, I know it's not a regular occurrence.

So by process of evolution and elimination, I get good-to-great service almost everywhere I go. And I tip generously, in order to help keep it that way.

My pet peeve is when they are rude and curt to you than EXPECT a huge tip. I still tip but I am not going out of my way if I had to ask 5 times for water!

OR...(this happened to me) The waitress walks up and asks for my ID so I oblige and she continues with "I seriously doubt that you are over 21..no one over that age would have pink hair so if you will excuse me I need to show my manager your ID"

The manager and I had a little confab!
    people are so weird!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

I hate it when I get the check before I'm done eating. What, my waiter/waitress is from Russia? THEN WHY'S HE/SHE RUSHIN'????

Congratulations to myself on my 200th post. [pops collar]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery
    I hate it when I get the check before I'm done eating. What, my waiter/waitress is from Russia? THEN WHY'S HE/SHE RUSHIN'????

Congratulations to myself on my 200th post. [pops collar]
    what if that waitress happens to be a "hot hapa lady"

Another pet peeve of mine is that more and more places are starting to add in gratuity automatically even to a small party of 2 or 3. Where is the incentive to provide decent service? They are quick to shove responsibility for mistakes on the order at the kitchen already..with the tip added in I find that they alot of the servers get very complacent then-you can't ever find them, have to ask about your order and how long it's going to take to get to your table and so forth...so now you have to actually make a big deal to get the tip amount removed or lowered.
    I went one place where they even charged a tip on a take out order?!?!?!?!?
    My reaction went along the lines of- What the????
    Last edited by hawaiidreamin; September 20th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    what if that waitress happens to be a "hot hapa lady"
    Haha...then I'm in a conundrum.

Haha...then I'm in a conundrum.
    I thought you were in a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    I thought you were in a restaurant.
    LOLOL. that's why I love HT. Y'all got jokes

Gratuity isnt usually added unless youre at a fancy shmancy restaurant. Or they think youre tourists.
    People who work in food service usually are more critical but also way more generous. I think everyone should work for a waiter as a year.
    My pet peeve is people who talk on the cell phone. I was at Stuart Andersons for lunch and not only was the service lousy, but there was a guy in a booth with the phone stuck to his head the whole time we were there. His lunch pal probably hates him.
    Also, if you work as a waiter, I'd recommend a movie called 'Waiting..." Its sort of like clerks/40 year old virgin/grandmas boy-ish humor. "Never mess with the person serving your food"
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

I tend to eat at fast food places. The worse I have seen it is when most of the staff are dealing with drive thrus orders and only one person is handling the people who come in and order. Said person also has to make the shakes which takes time to do, in the meantime the line to order gets longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent
    Gratuity isnt usually added unless youre at a fancy shmancy restaurant.
    Check out this group; their goal is to make tipping mandatory. More here, too.

Hmm, I dunno. I guess it depends on where you work. If youre good, a 15% automatic gratuity might be worse then what you would have gotten. But then again most places I worked it was more like 10% with the occasionaly big tipper.
    I dont think it should be mandatory, but I also think they should get paid more.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

The adding in of gratutity took place in a regular diner not a fancy place and not even a chain restaurant or anything.
    This does harken back to the whole argument out of Reservoir Dogs regarding tipping, fast food people who get no tips and crappy pay versus waiters & waitresses who expect to be tipped and the fact that I get no tips in my crappy paying, everyday job no matter how late I stay, how many other people I help do their job, how great of a job I do or how much money I save the company...LOL

I do personally think food service people should be paid more and just do away with the tipping period though....give tips when they go above and beyond their job description like everywhere else. This automatic expecting of the same 15 to 20% for 1/2 hearted, no attention to detail work irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyecicle
    My pet peeve is when they are rude and curt to you than EXPECT a huge tip. I still tip but I am not going out of my way if I had to ask 5 times for water!

OR...(this happened to me) The waitress walks up and asks for my ID so I oblige and she continues with "I seriously doubt that you are over 21..no one over that age would have pink hair so if you will excuse me I need to show my manager your ID"

The manager and I had a little confab!
    people are so weird!
    Ohhh my lawddddddddddddddddddd just can't believe that........ she would have to be fired right in front of me for her stupidity... she is basically calling you a liar with a fake ID.... and who the heck is she to talk about your hair color....wow... amazing....
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidreamin
    Another pet peeve of mine is that more and more places are starting to add in gratuity automatically even to a small party of 2 or 3. Where is the incentive to provide decent service? They are quick to shove responsibility for mistakes on the order at the kitchen already..with the tip added in I find that they alot of the servers get very complacent then-you can't ever find them, have to ask about your order and how long it's going to take to get to your table and so forth...so now you have to actually make a big deal to get the tip amount removed or lowered.
    I went one place where they even charged a tip on a take out order?!?!?!?!?
    My reaction went along the lines of- What the????
    Exactly...my reaction when I went to IHOP to pick up a take out order to find they charge tip on it.... I said they have lost their mind and to remove it immediately.... who the heck is the tip going to.... the cook or the front desk person that took the order... what a messsssss

Whenever I see tips added on I always ask that they remove it...... I refuse to be dictated to on what type of gratuity to pay.... after I get service I can determine that for myself based on the level of service I was given.... not before...
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

LOLOL. that's why I love HT. Y'all got jokes

ROFL>>>. too funny
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

I heard back in the old days of Irish pubs there was a box mounted or placed at the entrance of the establisment. It was called the "TIPS" box and you tipped ahead of being served.

Apparently that word "TIPS" meant To Insure Proper Service. Kinda like when I used to tip valet drivers when driving my BMW. I'd tip them a nice $20 upfront to put my car in a good sheltered and highly watchable location rather than in the basement parking lot.

When I would come out of the restaurant the valet would recognize me and get my car ahead of other waiting patrons. Then I'd tip him again another $20 for his excellent service. As you can tell, I hate waiting in lines.

As for restaurant tipping my rule has always been 50 under 50. Meaning 50% under $50. Over $50 (which is way too common these days) I use the standard 20% at fine establishments or 10% at diners. At the really 5-star eats such as La Mer, I always tip 50%. At La Mer at the Halekulani you get almost exclusive service because they know the value of a tip and what it takes to earn that 50% pocket change. There you can easily spend over $400 on a dinner tab for two so you can imagine the tip.

At La Mer they know how to read the diner's non-verbal signs of service and respond before you can finish that certain wave of the hand, tilt of the face or even the more obvious closing of the menu as an indication of being ready to order if you haven't placed your order ahead of time. Truly a dining experience.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 20th, 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    I heard back in the old days of Irish pubs there was a box mounted or placed at the entrance of the establisment. It was called the "TIPS" box and you tipped ahead of being served.

Apparently that word "TIPS" meant To Insure Proper Service. Kinda like when I used to tip valet drivers when driving my BMW. I'd tip them a nice $20 upfront to put my car in a good sheltered and highly watchable location rather than in the basement parking lot.
    There is a local Irish Pub here that does have that. It is run by a funny/nasty older gentlemen...Ok maybe not gentleman...but a man anyways.

He has the "TIPS" Box at the door.

He's the fella that makes fun of ya if you order anything but beer! and lays his back pack on the floor so he can look up our skirts! ....I now wear pants to Irish Pubs! Fun place though!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

True Story.

Two weeks ago my daughter and her friend visiting from Seattle goes to lunch at a "well known" place. Waitress comes to take their order. Looks at Kiana in her carriage.

"My what a beautiful baby you are babysitting!"

My daughter didn't know what to say but just SMILED! She not like me when come to things lil dat. Her friend told me and MAMA when they got home. I immediately wanted to call the business and talk to management. However, my daughter said not to make a big thing out of it.

Wat would you have done?

Da Nerve!!!!

I can imagine wat people tink wen dey see Antonio and Kiana with me den? I'm their Nanny!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Usually when a bunch of friends and I go out and the bill is paid for in cash and we need change for the tip and the server brings back big bills (like two twenties instead enough change where we could leave a reasonable tip without trying to figure out who among us can make change so we can leave the tip).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast