Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

Originally posted by MadAzza
    What does that have to do with having kids?
    I would assume your preference would be for the marriage to precede the children.

It was a "joke," as they say.

If you tell a server that you'll be having wine with your meal, it is assumed that they should be simultaneous. If you tell the server that you'll be ordering dessert with your meal, it is commonly assumed that the dessert will come after the main course, not to the table at the same time. The use of "with" is not as restrictive as you suggested.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 21, 2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      I would assume your preference would be for the marriage to precede the children.

It was a "joke," as they say.

OH! oops.

If you tell a server that you'll be having wine with your meal, it is assumed that they should be simultaneous. If you tell the server that you'll be ordering dessert with your meal, it is commonly assumed that the dessert will come after the main course, not to the table at the same time. The use of "with" is not as restrictive as you suggested.
      Actually, yes, it is, if you specifically tell the waiter you want your salad WITH DINNER, which is how I read the OP's comment. If the waiter just says, "Would you like a salad?" and you say, "Yes, please," then I would assume the salad would arrive before the main course. If that's what the OP meant, then so be it. That is not, however, how I (mis?)interpreted it.

We'd do a lousy job at the U.N., Leo!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        We'd do a lousy job at the U.N., Leo!
        Hey, we're barely getting by here on HT some days!

Comment

I asked for a salad, which is conventionally served before the entree, unless otherwise specified, such as your mom likes.

The waiter did bring the salad first...but, four bites into it, he came bustling over with the dinner, which would have sat until cold...and fried fish is gross when eaten cold.

This faux pas is so highly practiced nowadays, and I've never liked it. It makes your guest feel as if you have a "feed 'em and street 'em" attitude. Shove that food down 'em, and turn that table....soooooo bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
            I asked for a salad, which is conventionally served before the entree, unless otherwise specified, such as your mom likes.

The waiter did bring the salad first...but, four bites into it, he came bustling over with the dinner, which would have sat until cold...and fried fish is gross when eaten cold.

This faux pas is so highly practiced nowadays, and I've never liked it. It makes your guest feel as if you have a "feed 'em and street 'em" attitude. Shove that food down 'em, and turn that table....soooooo bad!
            Hope ...how is it going.... how are you preps...

I don't know about sending the food back..... because now you have upset the waiter and don't know what they will do to your food in the back.

I hate it when they bring the appetizer late and then bring the entree few minutes later too... but I just keep my peace and have them leave it at the table.

I have heard too many horror story on what goes on in the kitchen of fast food and restaurants to not send my food back.

Just be careful and make sure you request nicely if you want them to take the food back. Even if they do... all they will do is take it back and put it on the kitchen food receiving window. So you may as well just leave it on your table.
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
            Mark Twain

Comment

This is what makes me not want to eat out too much...because even when you make a precise request and it still comes out wrong-now you have to wonder when you send it back if they are going to exact some revenge on you???
              I always think is it really needed before sending it back because you just never know...
              Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

My biggest Pet Peves while eating out have got to be (in order of biggest to smallest):

1. Cell Phones Ringing (and the loud obnoxious people talking on them when they pick up)
                2. Nextel Chirp (GRRR they're so aggravating)
                3. Babies crying and their Uncaring parents.
                4. Poor wait staff.
                -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

But man, practices vary. I've observed, eating out with friends, that in one restaurant they'll happily overtip (for even mediocre service), but in a Chinese restaurant? It's a buck a head or so, no matter what! That's what, five percent? Less?

I don't pretend to understand, but no one's spit in their food just yet... at least, as far as I know.
                  For some reason, Chinese customary tipping is lower than American. When I first started dating my fiancee, we used to quarrel about this, because I almost always leave 20% unless the service is slow, then it's 15%. If it's bad...10%.

We would go to Chinese restaurants in the Chinese areas (as opposed to places like Hollywood, Burbank etc) and she would always say "10% is fine...Chinessssse...just 10%" (emulating her "stylizing" of the English language ), and I would always want to put down more.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

This isn't a routine peeve. I've only seen it happen once. A child was running amok in the restaurant (ok, I've seen that more than once) and the female adult with the child (I assume the mother) was doing nothing to try to stop him. He was holding an open bottle of catsup as he ran between the tables. When he got back to his table because his mother was ready to leave, he stuck the open end of the bottle in his mouth, in front of his mother. She took the bottle out of his hands and just put the cap back on and left the bottle on their table. ick! We had to tell the server what happened and the server removed the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                      For some reason, Chinese customary tipping is lower than American. When I first started dating my fiancee, we used to quarrel about this, because I almost always leave 20% unless the service is slow, then it's 15%. If it's bad...10%.

We would go to Chinese restaurants in the Chinese areas (as opposed to places like Hollywood, Burbank etc) and she would always say "10% is fine...Chinessssse...just 10%" (emulating her "stylizing" of the English language ), and I would always want to put down more.
                      That ridiculous! I have never seen that! I am going to pay more attention now and look and see if that happens here ( I am sure it does) but I just want to see. I am in disbelief.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                        This isn't a routine peeve. I've only seen it happen once. A child was running amok in the restaurant (ok, I've seen that more than once) and the female adult with the child (I assume the mother) was doing nothing to try to stop him. He was holding an open bottle of catsup as he ran between the tables. When he got back to his table because his mother was ready to leave, he stuck the open end of the bottle in his mouth, in front of his mother. She took the bottle out of his hands and just put the cap back on and left the bottle on their table. ick! We had to tell the server what happened and the server removed the bottle.
                        I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen at a Pizza Hut once, but instead of katsup it was the cheese shaker.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Ewww...to the Ketchup and the cheese shaker being licked by the kids...
                          Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Hi, Queenolu! Oh, I'm still working on selling all this stuff! Having another sale tomorrow and Sunday. Next step: it all gets hauled out to a friend's house for a garage sale, so I can prep this condo for sale. Now, after all this traffic in my house, I'll need to steam clean the carpets.

I keep going back and forth about being totally excited to move to Hawaii, then...almost PANIC...and wanting to just change my mind about the whole thing! Do you get this way??

I will have to say, regarding folks spittin' in the food...I've been in the bar/restaurant/nightclub/gaming business for about 29 years. In all these years, I have seen NO ONE spit in the food when sent back. Rest assured, it probably wasn't messed with. (the movie "waiting" was a comedy)

Comment

Hopefully it doesnt happen, but one of my early jobs was at a fast food place. With all the kids who start work in fast food, I wouldnt doubt that they might not be professional enough not to spit in someones food. I wouldnt bet money that no one there ever spit in food there.

"Farva: Give me a double bacon cheeseburger.
                              Dimpus Burger Guy: [into mic] Double baco cheeseburger. It's for a cop.
                              Farva: What the hell's that all about? You gonna spit in it now?
                              Dimpus Burger Guy: No, I just told him that so he makes it good.
                              [into mic]
                              Dimpus Burger Guy: Don't spit in that cop's burger."
                              -Super Troopers
                              Last edited by Hellbent; September 22, 2006, 11:16 PM.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I've heard of professionals dropping food on the floor and then just washing it and cooking it and serving it...

When I worked at KFC back in the days... we used to have lock the garbage can lids not to prevent people from scavenging...but from RATS!

Comment

Working...
                                X