Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

Default Re: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

This is what makes me not want to eat out too much...because even when you make a precise request and it still comes out wrong-now you have to wonder when you send it back if they are going to exact some revenge on you???
    I always think is it really needed before sending it back because you just never know...
    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

My biggest Pet Peves while eating out have got to be (in order of biggest to smallest):

1. Cell Phones Ringing (and the loud obnoxious people talking on them when they pick up)
    2. Nextel Chirp (GRRR they're so aggravating)
    3. Babies crying and their Uncaring parents.
    4. Poor wait staff.
    -kp!

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon

But man, practices vary. I've observed, eating out with friends, that in one restaurant they'll happily overtip (for even mediocre service), but in a Chinese restaurant? It's a buck a head or so, no matter what! That's what, five percent? Less?

I don't pretend to understand, but no one's spit in their food just yet... at least, as far as I know.
    For some reason, Chinese customary tipping is lower than American. When I first started dating my fiancee, we used to quarrel about this, because I almost always leave 20% unless the service is slow, then it's 15%. If it's bad...10%.

We would go to Chinese restaurants in the Chinese areas (as opposed to places like Hollywood, Burbank etc) and she would always say "10% is fine...Chinessssse...just 10%" (emulating her "stylizing" of the English language ), and I would always want to put down more.

This isn't a routine peeve. I've only seen it happen once. A child was running amok in the restaurant (ok, I've seen that more than once) and the female adult with the child (I assume the mother) was doing nothing to try to stop him. He was holding an open bottle of catsup as he ran between the tables. When he got back to his table because his mother was ready to leave, he stuck the open end of the bottle in his mouth, in front of his mother. She took the bottle out of his hands and just put the cap back on and left the bottle on their table. ick! We had to tell the server what happened and the server removed the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki
    For some reason, Chinese customary tipping is lower than American. When I first started dating my fiancee, we used to quarrel about this, because I almost always leave 20% unless the service is slow, then it's 15%. If it's bad...10%.

We would go to Chinese restaurants in the Chinese areas (as opposed to places like Hollywood, Burbank etc) and she would always say "10% is fine...Chinessssse...just 10%" (emulating her "stylizing" of the English language ), and I would always want to put down more.
    That ridiculous! I have never seen that! I am going to pay more attention now and look and see if that happens here ( I am sure it does) but I just want to see. I am in disbelief.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Quote Originally Posted by Adri
    This isn't a routine peeve. I've only seen it happen once. A child was running amok in the restaurant (ok, I've seen that more than once) and the female adult with the child (I assume the mother) was doing nothing to try to stop him. He was holding an open bottle of catsup as he ran between the tables. When he got back to his table because his mother was ready to leave, he stuck the open end of the bottle in his mouth, in front of his mother. She took the bottle out of his hands and just put the cap back on and left the bottle on their table. ick! We had to tell the server what happened and the server removed the bottle.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen at a Pizza Hut once, but instead of katsup it was the cheese shaker.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Ewww...to the Ketchup and the cheese shaker being licked by the kids...

Hi, Queenolu! Oh, I'm still working on selling all this stuff! Having another sale tomorrow and Sunday. Next step: it all gets hauled out to a friend's house for a garage sale, so I can prep this condo for sale. Now, after all this traffic in my house, I'll need to steam clean the carpets.

I keep going back and forth about being totally excited to move to Hawaii, then...almost PANIC...and wanting to just change my mind about the whole thing! Do you get this way??

I will have to say, regarding folks spittin' in the food...I've been in the bar/restaurant/nightclub/gaming business for about 29 years. In all these years, I have seen NO ONE spit in the food when sent back. Rest assured, it probably wasn't messed with. (the movie "waiting" was a comedy)

Hopefully it doesnt happen, but one of my early jobs was at a fast food place. With all the kids who start work in fast food, I wouldnt doubt that they might not be professional enough not to spit in someones food. I wouldnt bet money that no one there ever spit in food there.

"Farva: Give me a double bacon cheeseburger.
    Dimpus Burger Guy: [into mic] Double baco cheeseburger. It's for a cop.
    Farva: What the hell's that all about? You gonna spit in it now?
    Dimpus Burger Guy: No, I just told him that so he makes it good.
    [into mic]
    Dimpus Burger Guy: Don't spit in that cop's burger."
    -Super Troopers
    Last edited by Hellbent; September 23rd, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

I've heard of professionals dropping food on the floor and then just washing it and cooking it and serving it...

When I worked at KFC back in the days... we used to have lock the garbage can lids not to prevent people from scavenging...but from RATS!

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    what if that waitress happens to be a "hot hapa lady"
    Wow for a second there I thought you said "hot hapai lady"...

My pet peeve is when they don't bring everyone's entree at the same time.

Have you noticed that people dont wait til everyone is served before eating or is it just me?
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

That seems to be the norm nowadays...I remember that once upon a time everyone would wait to eat together unless the one or two people really pushed the issue and said to go ahead.

I went out over the wknd and was hit with an automatic tip because we were seated after 8:30PM - What does that have to with anything? Are people less prone to tip after 8:30PM?????

Quote Originally Posted by cezanne
    Wow for a second there I thought you said "hot hapai lady"...
    Which isn't to say hapai ladies can't be hot, of course...
    My pet peeve is when they don't bring everyone's entree at the same time.
    I think this goes with the peeve that some people don't wait for everyone to be served before digging in. I can see it both ways (as I'm one of the people who insists others eat when their food arrives rather than waiting for my dish).

Several different dishes arriving at once means that some of those dishes basically sat out or under a heat lamp for several minutes. I can definitely see wanting to relish the food as fresh out of the kitchen as possible. Of course, it would be nice to be asked your preference (and some do, especially if one party's order is just salad or something), but norms and prevailing preferences change.

Here's another one...

Am I the only one kind of taken aback (only kind of!) when you ask for a condiment or something and the server nabs it from another table... with patrons at it? Or, having your setting cannibalized for a later party? I guess one can't expect a smaller restaurant to have one {x} for every table, but if there's going to be rotating going on, they should retrieve them promptly and "stage" them near the kitchen or something. It just seems rude to steal it from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope
    I will have to say, regarding folks spittin' in the food...I've been in the bar/restaurant/nightclub/gaming business for about 29 years. In all these years, I have seen NO ONE spit in the food when sent back. Rest assured, it probably wasn't messed with. (the movie "waiting" was a comedy)
    I don't know about spitting in the food but I would not be surprised. I have had fast food that had a distinctly pine fresh aroma to it that I called a mgr on, and there was the case here in NY about a year or so ago where a cop did get broken glass in his Mickey's D burger...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123