Toy memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy memories

I remember in the mid 60s there was a toy called the Thingmaker. It had metal diecast molds of bugs and worms and stuff into which you pour some kind of latex liquid or something. You put the mold with the goo in it into the Thingmaker and turn it on. After a few minutes you had rubbery bugs and roaches that you can mess with. I think they later made an edible goo mixture so that you could later eat the bugs in front of unknowing people lol.

Anybody old enough to remember the Wheel-O or Rockem Sockem Robots?

Lol totally random thought.

Re: Toy memories

Originally posted by cezanne
    I remember in the mid 60s there was a toy called the Thingmaker. It had metal diecast molds of bugs and worms and stuff into which you pour some kind of latex liquid or something. You put the mold with the goo in it into the Thingmaker and turn it on. After a few minutes you had rubbery bugs and roaches that you can mess with. I think they later made an edible goo mixture so that you could later eat the bugs in front of unknowing people lol.

Lol totally random thought.
    I remember the smell of vinyl baby dolls. Years later, when I bought baby dolls for my own daughters, the smell brought back memories of Christmas morning.

This is a cute thread, BTW. Thanks.

Comment

heheheh,

Before I go back to bed...I got to put my Toy in.

Easy Bake Oven.

No wonda I bacame a Cook!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

i always had problems with lite-brite. the stuff in my head would never translate as well as the sample pictures on the box did, or I didnt have enough of the right color. and if you google etch a sketch, you can see some crazy pics that talented people can do.
        i remember i got a wake up call after begging and pleading for a star wars set that i really, really wanted, but once i got it, it wasnt worth it.
        my favorite toys were always pencil and paper, i got my inspiration from my step-grandfather. i drew rocket ships, robot men, vipers from battlestar galactica, xwings, and stuff like that.
        Last edited by Hellbent; September 23, 2006, 02:00 AM.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          heheheh,

Before I go back to bed...I got to put my Toy in.

Easy Bake Oven.

No wonda I bacame a Cook!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
          OMG Auntie!!

I bought one of my granddaughters and Easy-Bake Oven for Christmas a few years ago.

She LOVED it!! I included and Easy-Bake recipe book, so my daughter wouldn't have to buy all those damn Easy-Bake mixes that they sell now!

LOL....my granddaughter loves to cook now, too. Oughtta send her the Pordagee Bean Soup recipe...

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
            i always had problems with lite-brite. the stuff in my head would never translate as well as the sample pictures ont he box did, or I didnt have enough of the right color. and if you google etch a sketch, you can see some crazy pics that talented people can do.
            i remember i got a wake up call after begging and pleading for a star wars set that i really, really wanted, but once i got it, it wasnt worth it.
            my favorite toys were always pencil and paper, i got my inspiration from my step-grandfather. i drew rocket ships, robot men, vipers from battlestar galactica, xwings, and stuff like that.
            I loved those damn Lite-Brite things. Clowns, houses...the possibilities were endless. My kids loved them too.

Pencil and paper? I went straight from Lite-Brite to crow quill pen-and-ink drawings. You just gotta love that dip and draw technique.

Lite-Brite led the way.

Comment

hmm, didnt do quill pens and inks till later. i graduated to crayons, pastels, then watercolors. mostly stuck to pencil and paper tho.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I remember in the mid 60s there was a toy called the Thingmaker. It had metal diecast molds of bugs and worms and stuff into which you pour some kind of latex liquid or something.
                I had a bug maker too! Wheel-O was the big wheeled tricycle, right? and I remember "Knock his block off" boxing robots.

My fav's though were the original GI Joe's with all the accessories. There were alot of war casualties.
                Funny how I turned into such a hippie!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I guess you could call it a toy....
                  SLIME
                  Last edited by damontucker; November 21, 2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Anybody old enough to remember the Rockem Sockem Robots?.
                    Been there. Had that (i'm officially OLD).

On that note, remember those hand puppets with the Karate-style fist throwing? I had the Bruce Lee model. That puppet kicked @ass!

As a kid, I was all into the assembler stuff: Lego, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Erector, Tandy (Radio Shack) Electronic Science Project. Stuff laddat.

Great thread!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We weren't allowed to have toys but I remember a neighbor kid had the Teddy Ruxpin!! I was FASCINATED for a year with it
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I swear today I could have bought a home on Oahu with the collectible value of all the "KIKAIDA era" Tokusatsu toys I had as a kid.

Vintage Popy and Bandai Kikaida and Kamen Rider dolls - the whole lot; Rainbow Man; Ultraman - all of them. Zaboga. You name it, I had it. Even the books and posters. Mostly from Shirokiya and Playwell in Pearlridge.
                        Last edited by Pomai; September 23, 2006, 08:12 AM.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Gosh I wish I had some of the toys my siblings and I had back in the 60s and 70s. Some may be true collectables today as I see they command premium prices on eBay.

My brother had the original blue and red Kikaida action figure. I think it's still around somewhere.

I had something called Mutli Pistol 009, which was some kind of gun that detached or allowed you to fire different kinds of weapons... plastic missle, plastic bullets. Whatever.

Some toys available back in the day are probably still available today. The ones I remember are:
                          • Spirograph
                          • Etch a Sketch
                          • Do they still make Tinkertoy?
                          • Lego
                          • Hot Wheels
                          • Matchbox Cars

I'm sure there are more.

The worst toy I remember from my youth were those "jacks and ball" my sisters would buy. I hated them for the fact that they would forget to pick this stuff up off the floor after playing and I not seeing them, would step on the damn jacks with my bare feet to great pain!
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I Loved Rock em Sock em robots...I didn't have it tho :-(

The Wheel-O....is that like the Hawai'ian version of the Bg Wheel ?

I remember the bug molds.

I had GI Joe's...didn't EVERY boy growing up in the 60's and 70's ?

My older brother had a great robot called Mr Machine. It was on our home movies, and one Christmas in the early 90's I found out that Archie McPhee was selling new ones, so I bought him one. It was a great robot that you wound up, it was clear and had all these colored gears inside that moved after you wound him up...he walked and whistled . Great Toy.

Then there was Silly Putty, and the SLINKY !
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

GI JOE GI JOE
                              Fighting man from head to toe
                              On the land, in the air, on the sea... (or something like that)

Yeah I had an army, navy, and a air force one... even had the "footlocker". Growing up a little in military housing you had to have a GI Joe . And these were the normal sized ones too (about 12" tall) ... not the little itty bitty dolls they got now.

The Wheel-o I'm thinking about wasnt the Big Wheel trike. It was something that you held and a magnetic wheel would roll around the frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X