Toy memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toy memories

Oh, I love Legos. I used to build houses out of them and put bugs in them =p
    All those new legos that you cant do much with and the cost of them now is ridiculous.
    Remember these?

I used to have epic battles with little green army men.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      I swear today I could have bought a home on Oahu with the collectible value of all the "KIKAIDA era" Tokusatsu toys I had as a kid.

Vintage Popy and Bandai Kikaida and Kamen Rider dolls - the whole lot; Rainbow Man; Ultraman - all of them. Zaboga. You name it, I had it. Even the books and posters. Mostly from Shirokiya and Playwell in Pearlridge.

Lol

I was thinking the same thing. I had them all. Playwell? woah, that's old school but I remember it well.

Comment

I got eight of those green army men on my computer.heheheh They belong to my son when he was a little boy. I remember having to walk ever so carefully around them when he palyed his battles in our Hale.

Oh! The Memories. Who would have thought he and his sisters would have gone to fight in Real Wars!!!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Similar to those green army men with the base...

Remember that NFL football game with playing field that had the vibrating base and the molded plastic painted players with bases? The "strategy" was to place your team in positions that would move you towards the goal line. Uh huh. Yeah.

Imagine when kids today are posting on HawaiiThreads.com in the year 2030 saying stuff like, "Remember Playstation 3? "Whoah das' old school! Da' graphics looked so fake."

Of course I had the original Atari Game Console with the woodgrain finish and joystick with red button controllers. Pong!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Remember that NFL football game with playing field that had the vibrating base and the molded plastic painted players with bases? The "strategy" was to place your team in positions that would move you towards the goal line. Uh huh. Yeah.

Imagine when kids today are posting on HawaiiThreads.com in the year 2030 saying stuff like, "Remember Playstation 3? "Whoah das' old school! Da' graphics looked so fake."

Of course I had the original Atari Game Console with the woodgrain finish and joystick with red button controllers. Pong!
            The Vibrating football field with the felt football. Hysterical....like knock hockey or Air Hockey.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              The Vibrating football field with the felt football. Hysterical.
              That would be like the equivalent of telling a field of actual football players, "Here. Step into these potato sacks and jump around and do your best".
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That would be like the equivalent of telling a field of actual football players, "Here. Step into these potato sacks and jump around and do your best".
                LOL...."Yea, listen, I'm gonna tie your cleets together....go a get a friggin touchdown"
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                  I remember in the mid 60s there was a toy called the Thingmaker. It had metal diecast molds of bugs and worms and stuff into which you pour some kind of latex liquid or something. You put the mold with the goo in it into the Thingmaker and turn it on. After a few minutes you had rubbery bugs and roaches that you can mess with. I think they later made an edible goo mixture so that you could later eat the bugs in front of unknowing people lol.

Anybody old enough to remember the Wheel-O or Rockem Sockem Robots?

Lol totally random thought.

I had this too. It was called Creepy Crawlies from Matel. I LOVED it! I loved making bugs! My favorite was the spider and I made it a marbly-swirly red-orange-yellow creature. That was so fun! Thanks for the memory, Cezanne!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                    We weren't allowed to have toys but I remember a neighbor kid had the Teddy Ruxpin!! I was FASCINATED for a year with it
                    Don't mean to pry, but, children not permitted to have toys? Do you allow your children to have toys, Blue?
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

One thing I was notorious for was taking my toys apart. One screwdriver and that was it. The end. lol
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh, yes, creepy crawlies, loved the bugs! I'll have to say my close n' play record player was one of my favorites, listened to all the Motown and Beatles as a kid.

I had a somewhat "unusual" older brother, however...he was a terroristic mini "Einstein"...had a chemistry set. Ever been terrorized by chemistry? Well, lemme' tell ya' what kinda' stink bombs can be made with that stuff...lobbed down the hall to my room, and all my little friends running about, gagging!

Oh, fights with me and brother were far from normal...this was...CHEMICAL WARFARE! Ever see, for instance, what a can of mom's Aqua Net and a Bic lighter can do? We're talking two foot TORCH!

Ah, then..the guinnea pig...this large, foul rodent that lived in brother's closet. (his room by the way, always had a reek of rotting vegetables and chemicals!) This nasty overgrown rat would run down the hall and chew all the hair off my Barbie dolls...when I'd go to play with them, they all looked like crack whores!

Oh...I...um...guess...lots of memories were triggered here...sorry for the tangent...

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                          I had a bug maker too! Wheel-O was the big wheeled tricycle, right? and I remember "Knock his block off" boxing robots.

My fav's though were the original GI Joe's with all the accessories. There were alot of war casualties.
                          Funny how I turned into such a hippie!

Wheel-O was that U-shaped handle that a magnetized wheel would ride on.

The big-wheeled tricycle was called, "Big Wheel" You could do power slides on that one!

My favorite was my collection of Matchbox die cast cars when it was sold in match boxes downstairs in the Ala Moana Toy Department. Too bad I was a pyro because I ended up blowing up all of my toys (just like that evil kid in Toy Story) with firecrackers.

And of course the all time winner: Lego when the prized piece was the clear blocks that you could use as windows for your fortress.

My older sister got an Easy Bake oven for Christmas before she became a Jehova's Witness and I had to eat those chocolate cakes that never seemed to rise to perfection. I got a Gilbert Chemistry set when I was 12 and found how cool it was to mix salt peter and sugar together and light it up with the alcohol burner. The house stunk for a few days until that sulphur smell dissapated but boy that was cooooool!

So what toy(s) do I still have after all those decades of storing and moving? I still have my Hotwheel's Snake and recently aquired Mongoose die cast cars and my Cox .O49 gas powered Sandblaster my older brother gave me when I was still a young kid and he was in the military seeding clouds over Vietnam to make monsoons and stop the war for a day.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                            We weren't allowed to have toys but I remember a neighbor kid had the Teddy Ruxpin!! I was FASCINATED for a year with it

see what happens when you deprive a kid of toys? They dye their hair pink!

Comment

I've always wanted to see SNL (Saturday Night Live) do a skit where they bring in a real NFL broadcast team and do a play by play with one of those vibrating football game toys. That would be hilarious! He's down is he hurt? I don't know but he's still vibrating so that's a good sign!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                He's down is he hurt? I don't know but he's still vibrating so that's a good sign!
                                lol! I'm sure you could use any object such as coins as "players". Heads vs. tails. Come to find out, the proper name of it is ELECTRIC FOOTBALL.

Alot of my "toys" were actually plastic model kits that I got into building from a very young age (starting around 6). Never got into painting and detail for static display until my teens. I must've built every single kit from Revell and Monogram collectively over those past years.

Our house had a pool, so naturally the kits of choice were battleships. Had to add weights in the hull on most of them, as they weren't seaworthy out of the box. Also built lots of planes that I would pretend to crash - and when I say crash, I mean CRASH. Broke da' wings off and all. Even go as far as lighting them on fire. lol

Kinda' sad how it seems to be a dying hobby. Most kids today rather finish the final level of Halo than put the finishing touch of personal pride on a model kit.
                                Last edited by Pomai; September 24, 2006, 09:59 AM.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X