Clear All

• Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Third printout numbers if anyone is interested:

352 of 353 precincts reporting

AKAKA, Daniel K 128,927 54.2%
    CASE, Ed 106,968 45.0%
    Blank Votes: 1,812 0.8%
    Over Votes: 33 0.0%

These should be pretty close to the final numbers. Mahalo everyone for your patience, proactive participation and aloha during the Primary Election season. Thankfully, we can all take a little break from politics — at least for a week or two.
    Last edited by TuNnL; September 24, 2006, 02:47 AM. Reason: hoping for a 4th printout before I go nene

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      The paper printout verified my choices and I hit "confirm" and walked to the volunteers to tell them the instructions were not clear.
      When you get the paper printout, does it have exactly who you voted for listed on the paper or just verification that you voted? And I assume this is your receipt that you can take home with you. Maybe I would like to try this and I think it would be a good idea if the machine gives the voter a printout with everyone's name and races the person voted for.

As for the paper ballot... well actually everyone is voting electronic. You fill in the paper ballot, insert it into the machine, the machine records your votes to a memory card. At the end of the day the election workers remove the paper ballots and put them into boxes, remove the memory card and put it into a special static-free pouch which is then inserted into a red envelope.

The red envelope, the paper ballots, components from the electronic balloting system are then taken to the state capitol for counting. They only use the electronic media for the actual counting. The paper ballots are the backup.

It's amazing what you learn and observe by being a poll watcher and watching them take the whole thing down after the last voter goes through the process. It's all process and you gotta do it right.

In my precinct more than 400 people voted paper, and only 26 voted electronic.

Turnout was kind of low considering there were a couple thousand names on the roll books and the sheets posted outside the polling place. Several though had voted absentee as the rollbooks indicated AB next to those names.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Konaguy, of course I don't know what happens to those ballots once they leave the precinct, but I can say that the ballots that get dropped into the slot go to a different place, in a separate envelope, where they are supposedly counted. At the end of the election, that black box is emptied out. The ballots that were successfully counted are put into a sealed box. The ballots that were dropped in are put into an envelope designated for that purpose, and are counted with the absentee ballots that people drop off rather than mail in.
        OK as a pollwatcher this is what I observed at my precinct.

I only covered the afternoon shift, but at my precinct something went wrong with the black ballot counting machine to a point that several of the early ballots were placed into a special slot on the balloting machine.

The machine has 2 holding bins. The regular bin from where the ballots go after you run them throught the machine is on the bottom. You insert the ballot and it falls to the bottom bin where it collects with all the other ballots for the day. Your votes are recorded to the machine's memory card during this time.

The earlier ballots which were placed in the top slot were inserted through a long slit (much like a mail drop) and placed into a bin on top of the bottom bin that holds the ballots that were officially counted by the machine.

During a lull in the voting (like around the time the UH game was on), the precinct chair used his special key, opened up the top bin of the machine and got the ballots out and reinserted them through the now functioning machine. Those ballots were then posted to the electronic count and fell into the bottom bin.

As a pollwatcher I can stand there and watch them do this. They have about 2 other election workers also watching.

The problem with this was that about 2 or 3 ballots triggered the machine "beeping" sound indicating that the ballot was spoiled due to voters making marks in more than one party.

If you are actually there and this happens, the ballot can be rejected on the spot and the election worker can tell you made a mistake and give you the opportunity to vote again. When that happens the spoiled ballot is taken out, processed into an individual envelope which is then placed in a bigger envelope with all the other spoiled ballots and collected at the end of the day.

However for those few voters who made the mistake in the morning and were not there when the ballots were run through, the precinct chair had to press the "ACCEPT" button on the machine to let it count the spoiled ballot.

Because our precinct seems to have a high amount of non-English speakers, there seemed to be several instances of spoiled ballots occuring through the afternoon time that I was there. It slows things down as election workers have to explain that they can only vote in one color.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mazie edges out Hanabusa? ugh. Seriously, voters should be given a competency test before they are allowed to vote. Hanabusa would've been a much better Representative for the 2nd Congressional district than Hirono.Too many people vote on name recognition alone, that is why more of the same is always in play. I'm a democrat but I hope Hogue pulls it out in November. This district needs proper representation and Hirono cannot provide it.

Randy Iwase? ugh... Lingle will get my vote in November... nothing else to say.
          Last edited by Keanu; September 24, 2006, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Ahhh, another day after the election in Hawaii.

We could have skipped all the vote counts and just gone on demographics once again. Political party means nothing, political philosophy means nothing. Its all about ethnicity. Oh, and don't forget the time honored tradition of Hawaiis plantation Asian Democrats last minute smear whisper campaigns. Wouldn't be a Hawaii election without one of those.

Okay, everybody back to what you've been doing the past 50 years. Nothing's changed.

Aloha

Comment

My hat's off to those of you who stayed up for the later printouts, or even to party with the candidates. I checked out shortly after my last post. I've got a lot of catching up to do this morning. Akaka, Hirono, Iwase...

The Hirono/Hanabusa race turned out to be close! I was sure after the first printout that it was going to be a cakewalk. Honolulu voters are a force to contend with, I guess.

Is the Hogue/Kawananakoa race closed? 8,393 (45.6%) to 8,194 (44.5%) is pretty tight, and the third printout says 195 of 196. Did Kawananakoa concede or is there a recount coming?

Coffee took the Republican spot on the Senate ballot, so... who's Lingle going to choose to slot in? Whomever loses in Hogue/Kawananakoa? Ed Case?

Glad to see Harbin ousted handily, and (as in the first printout) even Colin Wong on the Republican ticket netting more votes than her.
              Originally posted by mel
              When you get the paper printout, does it have exactly who you voted for listed on the paper or just verification that you voted?
              I didn't vote on the electronic machine this year, so I'm totally talking out of my 'elemu, but IIRC, the "paper backup" isn't given to you, just shown to you, and it does indicate your choices. This is the sticking point that had lots of folks riled up when the electronic machines were introduced -- there was no "paper backup" last time.

Before, the theory goes, the electronic voting machine could crash and lose your vote, or your vote could be changed (fraud)... and since your vote only existed in electrons, there was no "paper trail." Now, in the unlikely event of a recount or glitch, election officials could fall back on the "paper backup," basically counting your vote like paper ballots are counted.
              Last edited by pzarquon; September 24, 2006, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Congrats AKAKA -

You da man!

Case... well you still have options... I don't think we will be seeing you working at any fast food restaraunt anytime soon.

Now onto the real BATTLE... NFL Pickem!

And to all those that gave me crap yesterday....hello... my precinct I can walk to.... I actually did vote!!! I'm just not one that cares too much about my vote...

and yes... the candidate I chose lost

As far as the other races... left them blank Because I knew absolutely nothing about them and I'm not about to just play the "name game" when I vote.

But thanks to everyone for giving me crap...it was fun to see how upset people would get over one person attempting to play devils advocate.

Voting is very important... However, the freedom to choose whether you want to participate in something I feel should also be emphasized, thus, my attitude yesterday.

Besides... Everytime I seem to say who I want to win...or what I predict is going to Happen on HT... the complete opposite happens.... thus sometimes I have found it better for me to just shut up sometimes... (Except when it comes to Football!)

Once again congrats AKAKA and I'm sure you will do the best you can.

Comment

Other races we've touched on...

Lieutenant Governor (D) with Iwase:
                  Malama Solomon 77,724 (32%)
                  David Henkin 33,976 (14%)
                  Miles Shiratori 33,670 (14%)

District 25 (Makiki/Tantalus):
                  Della Belatti (D) 2,145 (43%)
                  John Steelquist (D) 1,636 (33%)
                  Joy Turbeville (D) 600 (12%)
                  Tracy Okubo (R) 448 (78%)

District 28 (Kakaako):
                  Karl Rhoads (D) 1,916 (59%)
                  Bev Harbin (D) 478 (14%)
                  Carlton Middleton (D) 337 (10%)
                  Colin Wong (R) 492 (81%)

District 30 (Kalihi):
                  John Mizuno (D) 1,659 (46%)
                  Terry Visperas (D) 1,086 (30%)

Honolulu City Council District IV:
                  Charles Djou 18,295 (63%)
                  Blank Votes 10,712 (37%)

DOE 6th District (Windward):
                  John Penebacker 93,109 (48%)
                  Kris DeRego 25,252 (13%)
                  Paul Vierling 13,648 (7%)

Check out the blank votes for Charles "Remember That Name!" Djou!

Comment

How in the world did Harbin get more votes then two others in her race?
                    District 28 (Kakaako):
                    Karl Rhoads (D) 1,916 (59%)
                    Bev Harbin (D) 478 (14%)
                    Carlton Middleton (D) 337 (10%)
                    Colin Wong (R) 492 (81%)
                    and PZ I think you had a typo with Colin Wong's %.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      How in the world did Harbin get more votes then two others in her race?
                      I only see Carlton Middleton as having less votes, who was the second person?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      and PZ I think you had a typo with Colin Wong's %.
                      The 81% (81.9%), figure is correct. The blank votes accounted for the balance in the Republican primary.

Comment

In District 28 there were three candidates to choose from the Purple Ballot:

District 28 (Kakaako):
                        Karl Rhoads (D)
                        Bev Harbin (D)
                        Carlton Middleton (D)

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Do "Over or Blank" votes count against the election. The reason why I ask is
                          in District 1 on the Big Island :

Dominic Yagong 2,132 (48.1%)
                          Fred Holschuh 1,901 (42.9%)
                          Blank Votes 397 (9.0%)

To win a Hawaii County council seat you need to get 50% of the vote.
                          Which Dominic Yagong almost got. The irritating thing is WHT said he won, but obviously he has not ? Thus it appears there may be a runoff in the general.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

One thing I find kind of interesting about the Maui mayoral race is all candidates are classed "non-partisan" but during campaigning, all identified with a political party. The top 2 vote getters are both "Republicans", so in the general election, people get to pick between the incumbent Republican, Alan Arakawa, and a Republican councilwoman, Charmaine Tavares (former mayor Kimo Apana, a "Democrat" placed 3rd). So I wonder how come Maui ended up with a modified "blanket" primary for its Maui offices? Is each county autonomous as far as their local primaries are concerned?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                              Do "Over or Blank" votes count against the election [...] To win a Hawaii County council seat you need to get 50% of the vote. Which Dominic Yagong almost got. The irritating thing is WHT said he won, but obviously he has not? Thus it appears there may be a runoff in the general.
                              Good question. The Advertiser also seems to state flatly that Yagong is in as of the primary, after mentioning the 50 percent threshhold.

The same piece notes there will be a runoff for Maui mayor (Alan Arakawa vs. Charmaine Tavares), but not for Kauai (Bryan Baptiste).

Comment

We have non partisan council race on Hawaii also.

Gives tremendous advantage to the incumbent, imho. Hawaii voted, and passed this, about 6 or 8 years ago. And we all know how good some of our Hawaii council incumbents are performing. But it's truly a perfect way to help keep liberal/democratic machine politics in power. You gotta hand it to genius who promoted it.

I voted against the non-partisan idea.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X