This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Election Day Live Thread

Similar to our recent Akaka vs. Case Live Thread, this thread will be a one-day sandbox in which to post assorted observation about Primary Election Day in Hawaii. Voting experiences, last-minute campaign activities, media coverage and periodic vote counts. I'm mostly interested in what you are seeing, experiencing, and thinking about politics today.

We have dedicated threads for several individual races, including Akaka vs. Case, the 2nd Congressional District (to replace Case), the Governor's Race, and District 25 (Makiki/Tantalus), and comments and thoughts specific to them are certainly welcome there. However, things change fast on Primary Election Day, so think of this thread as the place for moment-by-moment responses and updates (i.e. vote count updates), the dedicated threads remaining the place for more considered analysis.

Of course, comments on thoughts on less high-profile races are welcome here, as they unfold, but if a particular race seizes your last-minute imagination, you can certainly start another dedicated thread.

That said, have at it. What's up today, Hawaii?

Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Thanks for the live thread... I always like this format...this will be my first and last post on it...

I'm hoping Case will win it...

However, I'm more just glad this day is finally upon us and I can't wait for things to return back to normal around this State.

To both Candidates... You guys both lead very interesting campaigns and to whomever does win... I know you will try your best.

That said, have at it. What's up today, Hawaii?
    UH over Boise and Penn over Hughes

Comment

I'm just about to head down to my polling station (somewhere in Makiki) after a brief detour to the Farmer's market at KCC.

Well no secret here. Akaka will get my vote, as will Aila (Gov) Henkin (LT Gov), and Belatti (25th district).

Yay voting!

Comment

I got recruited yesterday by the GOP to be a poll watcher today. Will be doing a few hours in the afternoon... and the bum part of it I will miss watching the FREE on K5 UH football game. I guess I'll bring my old radio to check with the score every now and then. Tonight I may go to GOP HQ just to eat some free food and watch the early results from there.

I suspect that the afternoon polls may be a little slow now that I know the UH game is on free TV.

BTW, I already voted absentee on Wed.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          I got recruited yesterday by the GOP to be a poll watcher today. Will be doing a few hours in the afternoon... and the bum part of it I will miss watching the FREE on K5 UH football game. I guess I'll bring my old radio to check with the score every now and then. Tonight I may go to GOP HQ just to eat some free food and watch the early results from there.

I suspect that the afternoon polls may be a little slow now that I know the UH game is on free TV.

BTW, I already voted absentee on Wed.
          Shades of my 1960s World Series listening. I never could get into football on the radio, though I tried.

That's an interesting point about football interfering with voting. Don't I remember Fasi making a small fuss about too many distractions one year when he didn't do as well as he'd expected?
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I won't give any political views or who I'm voting for, but I will say that I'm heading to our polling station in just a few minutes. It's just a block from my house.

The main thing is that you're registered and that you VOTE!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              However, I'm more just glad this day is finally upon us and I can't wait for things to return back to normal around this State.
              Not quite. You forgot about the general election in November. Things may quiet down for a day or two but between then and November 7 things will heat up.

For me I just got and maybe within the hour I will head off to vote.

Comment

The political noise and discussion will never die at Hawaii Threads. After the elections there is the legislative session and all the goofiness that goes on there to talk about. And the folks in the American Asylum section never run out of stuff to discuss there.

The only way to avoid political discussions here is to keep out of all or some of those threads.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Watching Purdue-Minnesota.

Reviewing my notes, and making certain I got the right people in mind when I vote. Leaving in 10 minutes.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Just got back from voting at our polling place, the cafeteria at Mililani High School... only a couple of blocks away. Busy, but no line. Lots of paper voters, but the electronic machine seemed to be pretty popular too.

Gotta say, in addition to doing one's civic duty, another reason why, say, Scrivener might be volunteering at a polling place was definitely evident at the registration tables. At least at MHS. Though there were signs prohibiting cell phone use, I'm going to be keeping an eye on his sneaky photostream.

I voted on the Democratic ballot. Akaka, Aila, Solomon. I didn't know who to choose on the non-partisan side, except not Kris DeRego. I voted for a woman I used to work with, another woman whose name looked familiar, and a woman whose name sounded nice. (When in doubt, I vote randomly by gender and presumed ethnicity. So sue me.) Was done in three minutes.

We've got rain, and a UH game on TV, in a non-Presidential Election year, for this primary, so I can now see Scrivener's skepticism over turnout. But, I want to think that things this year are exciting enough to get folks to the polls anyway.

Comment

I walked down to my polling place (Washington Intermediate) early this morning. Inside, there was a long line of people waiting to deposit their marked ballots, but the machine wasn’t working. So we waited, and waited, and waited, while voting officials tried to contact someone for help, and decide what to do in the meantime.

Some of the people in line had to leave for work, so they left their ballots with officials and signed for them. I guess they’ll come back later to deposit their ballots. Others, myself included, waited until a decision was made to collect everyone’s ballot in a holding box on the side of the macine, later to be deposited when the machine is finally fixed.

Walking back home, I was greeted with a passing downpour and got soaked.

Oh, well . . . there’s still the afternoon. Go Bows!

Comment

Yippeeeeee! Mahalo Admin for this Thread today.

I've been out since 6:00 a.m. holding my sign in my neighboorhood. Now I gotta go Vote. Den go back out and hold signs some moa. Back to back foa Case and Rhoads. Taking turns wearing their t-shirts.heheheh

It's a loong day but it's a FuN day for me.

This morning I had breakfast at BBQ Hut by myself. Four Akaka Supporters came in. I knew them all. We hug and kissed. We laughed and one of them said, "No Vote, No Grumble!" We laughed some moa!

In essence dat is wat today is. We may Vote for other Candidates. The point is...as Americans we go out and VOTE!!! Many others in the world would do anything to be in our shoes today. Freedom is what we have. Voting is what we have as Americans to put who we want in postions to make and change Laws so we can continue to live in FREEDOM!

Yes. No Vote ~ No Grumble!!!!!

To all who have sought Political Office today, my papale off to you. Congratulations to all of you for having the courage to run. We need more men and women who will seek and take up the challenge to run for office. Neva mind the costs. If the heart and desire is to help one's community... money and power can always be beaten. It's been done before.

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn

P.S. I'll be back!
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Went to Washington Middle (or Intermediate) around 10 am and the machine to accept the ballots was working when I got there. The line waiting for that machine was the longest I had to wait but that was only 5 people deep and a couple of minutes.

I was given the choice between the paper ballots or the electronic one, I went with paper since there was only one electronic one in the area and I wanted to take my time deciding who to vote for.

Comment

Just got back from the Painted Church. Crossed party lines to cast a vote for Ed Case. That's the only scratch I made on the ballot.

I got a question. If a candidate for rep gets more than 50% of the vote, does he win automatic? Cuz I want Hosley to win over Herkes in my district for the State House.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              Just got back from the Painted Church. Crossed party lines to cast a vote for Ed Case. That's the only scratch I made on the ballot.

I got a question. If a candidate for rep gets more than 50% of the vote, does he win automatic? Cuz I want Hosley to win over Herkes in my district for the State House.
                              For someone who ran for something in the past... no wonder why you never won!

You never knew the rules to begin with

Comment

Working...
                              X