X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Originally posted by timkona
    I got a question. If a candidate for rep gets more than 50% of the vote, does he win automatic? Cuz I want Hosley to win over Herkes in my district for the State House.
    No. This is a party election. You can get three votes in your party, but if you win your party, you still get to be on the general ballot. This is as it should be.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      No. This is a party election. You can get three votes in your party, but if you win your party, you still get to be on the general ballot. This is as it should be.

Brah, you quoting quotes that don't exist. Where you getting this from. You answering questions from page 1 while we on 4?

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
        Brah, you quoting quotes that don't exist. Where you getting this from. You answering questions from page 1 while we on 4?
        Sorry. Some of us were serving democracy at the polling places while the early posts hit the board. I'm reading the posts in reverse order so I don't respond to something with the same info that someone else posted. Nobody answered Timkona's question, so I stepped up. Thanks for asking.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's from reply #14 on this thread.

Comment

Sorry. Some of us were serving democracy at the polling places while the early posts hit the board. I'm reading the posts in reverse order so I don't respond to something with the same info that someone else posted. Nobody answered Timkona's question, so I stepped up. Thanks for asking.
            hoe, you japanese, alwayz detail detail detail. Amazing. Assss why I like sushi, so much fricken detail. No josh brah. kanna beat Japanese for attention to detail. Sushi, packaging, electronics, customer service, all with amazing focus. You good scrivener.

Comment

Tell us more. Are you a Hawaii Plantation Okinawan or a recent immigrant for example? The fact that you go against the grain means you must be one smat buggah but there is usually an explanation. Where were your parent's born. Do you like them?
              3rd gen on my dad's side (my Okinawan side), 4th or 5th gen depending on which branch of my mom's family you count from (my naichi side). My parents were both from Maui originally. I have a good relationship with my parents (more accurately, I HAD a good relationship with my dad...he passed away 18 years ago. ). As for smart, well, smart enough to get into the spoiled kids' school (i.e. Punahou), and go to college on the big rock.

Guess I'm more influenced by Bill Clinton and his more moderate brand of Democrat-ness. What makes me a Dem is social issues and foreign policy (I think we shouldn't have gone into Iraq in the first place, but now that we're there...we DO need to clean up the mess we made), not so much economics...

My point: Even as recently as a decade, yeah, that would be true that ethnic groups tend to vote in a bloc. But I think voters are straying a bit more from the mold. At least that's my experience.
              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                I don't know this race at all, but it's John Mizuno 52%, Terry Visperas 23%.
                On the off-chance that someone is interested in this race besides me:

Visperas is Filipino and has been out on the streets every day for weeks, in one of Hawaii's most Filipino neighborhoods. Mizuno was a member of departing long-time representative Dennis Arakaki's office staff; Arakaki's a guy I consider exactly the right kind of guy for a neighborhood like Kalihi. Arakaki has given Mizuno his endorsement.

I don't particularly care for either of them; I actually feel some hostility toward both. The intersection of Likelike and School is a disgusting eyesore, largely because of signs by Visperas and Mizuno, and I can't support a candidate with so little regard for his own voters' neighborhoods. Neither candidate did much to let voters know how they stand on the issues that matter to Kalihi. Mizuno sent me campaign literature stamped "personal," and I opened it because I thought maybe it was. It wasn't. I thought that was dirty. I hope neither wins.
                Last edited by scrivener; September 23, 2006, 09:15 PM.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                  My point: Even as recently as a decade, yeah, that would be true that ethnic groups tend to vote in a bloc. But I think voters are straying a bit more from the mold. At least that's my experience.
                  You might be right. But I haven't seen it in election results yet. Akaka vs. Case is just another example of a predictable outcome long before the race begins.

Good for you Keith H. You are truly an independent thinker. But I still think you are an exception.

Comment

Visperas is Filipino and has been out on the streets every day for weeks, in one of Hawaii's most Filipino neighborhoods. Mizuno was a member of departing long-time representative Dennis Arakaki, a guy I consider exactly the right kind of guy for a neighborhood like Kalihi.

Filipinos are a tougher group to predict. They like supporting anyone who supports filipinos. They were Fasi and Harris's big supporters. Filipinos love to support Filipinos and will with incredible energy (Jasmine Trias) but they aren't as "racial" as other races. They will support anyone and will turn on a Filipino the minute they don't trust um for some reason.

So calling a race in a largely filipino district is way tougher. I wonder what Kalihi's demographic is anyway. Probably lots of Japanese and Hawaiians and new immigrants as well.

Milton Holt, Chun-Oakland were Kalihi reps. They aren't filipino.

Maybe we're assuming Kalihi is "filipino" because there happens to be a few more than normal. Kinda like we assume Hawaii Kai is "haole" even though i bet haoles are a minority in Hawaii Kai today.

More than 30% makes a majority in Hawaii.
                    Last edited by kamuelakea; September 23, 2006, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Waiting now for the 2nd printout.

Comment

Interesting things said during the filler time between printouts about the Case v Akaka race.

1) Republicans who represented crossover votes in the Case v Akaka race would be more inclined to vote for Akaka hoping that for some reason he would not be able to fulfill his term and Lingle would be allowed to replace him.

2) Republicans should not vote for Case in the primary because if he beats Akaka he would be tough to beat in the General Election and would be hard to unseat as an incumbent.

3) If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.
                        You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K
                          If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.
                          Gee...I wonder where she might find someone who fits THAT description?
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K
                            Interesting things said during the filler time between printouts about the Case v Akaka race.

1) Republicans who represented crossover votes in the Case v Akaka race would be more inclined to vote for Akaka hoping that for some reason he would not be able to fulfill his term and Lingle would be allowed to replace him.

2) Republicans should not vote for Case in the primary because if he beats Akaka he would be tough to beat in the General Election and would be hard to unseat as an incumbent.

3) If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.
                            Well, with Jerry Coffee winning the GOP primary, the GOP may have a chance to hand-pick their nominee, and you know they'll choose their strongest candidate. So, this may all be moot in the long run; they COULD have a chance to have their cake now instead of later. Not that it's likely to happen, but hey...

Comment

Gee...I wonder where she might find someone who fits THAT description?
                              Well, Rick Hamada from KHNL was sitting with Brickwood and asked him if HE fit the bill. I think Brick's face is a little red from that little jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                                Well, with Jerry Coffee winning the GOP primary, the GOP may have a chance to hand-pick their nominee, and you know they'll choose their strongest candidate. So, this may all be moot in the long run; they COULD have a chance to have their cake now instead of later. Not that it's likely to happen, but hey...
                                Dan Boylan suggested they pick a newcomer to fill that spot so they can start to build name recognition for future elections. I doubt anyone thinks the Republicans will take the seat from the Case v Akaka winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X