X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Originally posted by scrivener
    Gee...I wonder where she might find someone who fits THAT description?
    No, I don't think so. Aunty Linda already got bitten once by appointing her.
    http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Other interesting commentary as pundits parse the numbers (if I heard correctly)... that Hanabusa is in fact leading Hirono when limited to Honolulu County voters. But that Hirono's huge lead at this point, and the fact that she has almost double Hanabusa's votes on the Neighbor Islands, is indicative about how Hirono's statewide machine (from her last run) has paid off, while Hanabusa's Oahu-centric campaigning will hurt. Hirono's going to run away with this one.

Comment

Akaka still leads:
        AKAKA, Daniel K. 87,102 54.8%
        CASE, Ed 71,712 45.1%

Hirono still leads:
        HIRONO, Mazie K. 18,236 22.3%
        HANABUSA, Colleen 15,071 18.4%
        MATSUNAGA, Matt 11,672 14.3%
        HOOSER, Gary L. 8,545 10.4%
        HEE, Clayton 8,275 10.1%
        MENOR, Ron 5,437 6.6%
        SCHATZ, Brian 5,419 6.6%
        GARCIA, Nestor R. 2,693 3.3%
        AIPOALANI, Hanalei Y. 1,643 2.0%
        ZUIKER, Joe 766 0.9%

Hogue still leads, but still very close:
        HOGUE, Bob 5,333 46.7%
        KAWANANAKOA, Quentin Kuhio 4,934 43.2%

Iwase still leads over Aila:
        IWASE, Randy 79,730 49.9%
        AILA, William J., Jr. 27,667 17.3%
        TANABE, Van K. 11,022 6.9%

Comment

did anybody do the electronic voting?

I did and it was a bit confusing. After selecting the party you want to vote on and hit "select" to highlight the checkbox in red, the next screen takes you directly to the Democratic ballot. Going back to the party selection screen I try again and hit "select". Same thing. The Democratic party ballot is staring at me (can you tell I'm a republican yet?)

There is a scroll wheel you use to select a field within that page the screen is on so I scrolled the wheel and the ballots started flashing by with the republican ballot coming up next. Okay the instructions didn't tell me that but I figured it out myself. The paper printout verified my choices and I hit "confirm" and walked to the volunteers to tell them the instructions were not clear.

After being the first in my polling place to use the electronic voting machine and talking to one of the volunteers about my problem with it, another volunteer comes up and looks at the serial connector from the voting machine that was dangling and unhooked to anything and asked if it was supposed to be hooked up or not. Okay after a bit of discussion we decided it was for downloading at the close of the polls. Hmmm I sure hope so.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Other interesting commentary as pundits parse the numbers (if I heard correctly)... that Hanabusa is in fact leading Hirono when limited to Honolulu County voters. But that Hirono's huge lead at this point, and the fact that she has almost double Hanabusa's votes on the Neighbor Islands, is indicative about how Hirono's statewide machine (from her last run) has paid off, while Hanabusa's Oahu-centric campaigning will hurt. Hirono's going to run away with this one.
            Don't think she's going to run away but it looks like she'll be able to maintain her lead through the night. Not planning on staying up any longer to see the next print out. I'll read it in the fish wrap tomorrow morning.
            You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Nope and the reason being is that there was just one machine at the polling place. Last thing I wanted to do was to hold up the line to use that machine while I decided on who to vote for.

Comment

Konaguy, of course I don't know what happens to those ballots once they leave the precinct, but I can say that the ballots that get dropped into the slot go to a different place, in a separate envelope, where they are supposedly counted. At the end of the election, that black box is emptied out. The ballots that were successfully counted are put into a sealed box. The ballots that were dropped in are put into an envelope designated for that purpose, and are counted with the absentee ballots that people drop off rather than mail in.

I don't know if that reassures you, but I hope it does.
                Slightly it does. See what exactly happend was the ballot box was beeping
                and giving a cryptic error code. As I was listening to the precinct officials
                while I was waiting for them resolve this, they mentioned the way I described
                the vote would not be counted.It slightly relives me that he might've been
                mis informed. But come Monday, I was going to call up the elections folks
                and get to bottom of it.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Wasn't given the option when I went to city hall to cast my absentee ballot.

Comment

Nope, as much as I use computers in my life and being such a techno nerd,
                    I would never use of those electronic voting machines.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      Nope, as much as I use computers in my life and being such a techno nerd,
                      I would never use of those electronic voting machines.
                      I figured it should be safe to use and if it didn't there would be Hell to pay and a news story worthy of reporting.

The good thing about the electronic balloting is that if you make a mistake you can change it before making anything permanent.

One other thing is that I overheard a couple of men complaining that their names was on that mail in yellow post card indicating their registration but their names didn't show on the "Fail-Safe" listing whatever that was. But it seems that fail safe paper printout wasn't so fail safe after all.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Visperas is Filipino and has been out on the streets every day for weeks, in one of Hawaii's most Filipino neighborhoods. Mizuno was a member of departing long-time representative Dennis Arakaki's office staff; Arakaki's a guy I consider exactly the right kind of guy for a neighborhood like Kalihi. Arakaki has given Mizuno his endorsement.
                        Actually for what its worth I received campaign literature for all the main candidates in that district, i.e. Mizumo, Visperas, Crockett, Bill Woods, etc. and all of them had Arakaki's endorsement which I thought was very strange. Many even had photos of Dennis with the candidates as well. But obviously Mizuno has the first-hand experience with Arakaki and whatever "endorsement" the other candidates received meant nothing in the end.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Case just conceded to Akaka. I think he made a nice speech and he does have a lot of options of where to go from here.

Comment

What are his options now?? I would have supported him 110% if he ran against Lingle for Govenor. I think he is the ONLY candidate that could have given her a run for the money and possibly defeated her. I think he also could defeat Mufi in a mayoral election as well. But he chose to go after the Senate Seat which is wrong in my opinion from the start. These Senior Senators are stubborn and have basicially ran unopposed for years, so what came out of this election was Akaka had to actually campaign for once and he worked really hard to keep his job. I voted for him and happy he has won.

Now the bottom line is Case has lost two major elections, the Democratic primary to Hirono and the Democrat Senate primary seat to Akaka. It comes to a point in time in which you have to wonder if he can win a major election in this state. So where are his options?? I still say he should have run for Governor and he probably could win in 2010 if he ran against Iona or Hanneman if Mufi decides to venture into that field.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Case was the managing partner at Carlsmith (one of the largest, if not the largest, law firms in Hawaii) before he went to Congress. I'm sure if he wanted to, he could return to private law practice. He has made political connections in D.C. and elsewhere, that makes him valuable to some companies, especially financial institutions and insurance companies and utility companies. He might opt to continue running for public office. He did lose two major elections, but not by a shameful margin.

Comment

The Voters have spoken. Akaka has won. Ed fought a good fight. Congratulations to Senator Dan Akaka.

Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X