This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Shut up, Manoa. Tell you what, if you want to be such an ass about not voting and opting out of the political process -- which is, yes, your choice -- do us all a huge favor and also choose to stop responding to threads in Hawaii Hall. Spare us all and go yammer about sports.

Goddamn it. Another thread goes Manoa and I'm just as much to blame as anyone. My bad, all. Back on ignore.

Back to discussing politics, among people who have half a wit. So. Where's everyone going for their election news? Local paper websites with live updates? Blogs? Local news stations? Didja know a "citizen journalist" is going to give a live webcast from the scene a try? If you want to hear commentary from someone not paid to blab, check it out.

Comment

I am just going to wait until the Sunday papers post the results.

Comment

I'm going to be watching from the t.v. set ups at the two parties I'll be attending tonight. I'll go to Karl Rhoads first at 6:00 p.m. then head out to Case's Headquarters cause dats where the Action going be at.heheheh

Karl's Action going be happening in the General Election unless something drastic happens tonight like Bev Harbin gets re-elected instead.

Volunteering for both these men have been an honor. It's experience I can use once again. Once learned one can never forget. I have also made friends in the process and look forward in seeing them as well as keeping in contact with them come what may.

Politics has always been my hopes and dreams from the time I was a teenager. I was once the President of The Teenage Republicans of Hawaii. I represented TARS at a Conference in Arizona and met many influtental Republicans in the 70's. That was many years ago. Something happened that changed my mind to become a Democrat but that's onnada story which I shall write on my Blog someday.

I've never missed Voting. I am proud to be an American. My daughter Ligaya voted for the first time today. She called after. She didn't tell me who but I knew.heheheh She did tell me she needed help and had asked for assistance. The irony. A War Veteran Voting for the first time and asking for Help. I told her I was proud of her and yes, it was her right to keep whom she voted for Secret.

My son as well as my other daughter have already cast their Votes. My children have made me proud once again as always.

We are an American family.

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; September 23, 2006, 03:55 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

To me, it its put up or shut up time. If you don't vote, you really can't complain
          about the problems we face. That being said I had my share of frustrations voting tonight

Voting tonight in the primary was uneventful, until I tried to return my paper ballot to the ballot machine.The ballot machine had a mind of its own, refusing any paper ballots.Evidently, they were going to send a tech out to troubleshoot the ballot box.

But nonetheless, I'm a bit frustrated about this. Why don't they have a spare ballot box at each site.I'm afraid my vote won't count because of this.As they had to open up the manual ballot slot, where your ballot won't count ?
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I've been assigned to Randall Yee and Ed Case headquarters. Maybe I'll see you there Aunty...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
              I've been assigned to Randall Yee and Ed Case headquarters. Maybe I'll see you there Aunty...
              It's always great to see your handsome face Richard! Now I no like go to Karls.heheheh Nah, I betta show face foa little bit. He going come mine on Wednesday.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I find myself in the bizarre situation of agreeing with Manoa regarding voting. I always vote, consider it an important exercise in civic duty and take the time to inform myself regarding candidates, etc. However, I don't believe that not voting negates your right to complain about government. Those "no vote, no grumble" slogans annoy me. In my opinion, if you pay taxes into the system, you can complain as much as you like regardless of whether you vote or not.

And, to the topic at hand, I will probably tune into the 10 o'clock news, check online before retiring for the evening and when I get up in the morning. I'm really interested to see how the Case vs. Akaka turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  In my opinion, if you pay taxes into the system, you can complain as much as you like regardless of whether you vote or not.
                  Death and taxes, they say, are two things you have no control over. We're all in the same boat. So what differentiates us is voting. We all have opinions, but by participating, you validate them. "I think {x} sucks, and I tried to do one, simple, little thing to fix it."

So, respecfully, I think "no vote, no grumble" is a pithy and cheesy but perfectly apt expression. If you didn't get off your couch to help, no whining when the house burns down.

Perhaps you don't have much control. Perhaps you don't like any of your choices. If you don't like what's done with your taxes, if you don't like what your government is doing, I'll give you my ear if you did your part, if you raged against the machine... even if you went and submitted a blank ballot in protest.

If there were extenuating circumstances keeping you from voting? If you had a funeral or a sick kid or a migrane or one of those four jobs you had to hold down to keep a roof over your head? Hey, no problem. We all miss our chance now and then. (Though that's what absentee and mail-in voting is for.) I'd imagine you would have voted if you couldhave voted.

And hey... I'm sure there are good, fine Americans that don't vote at all, for principled reasons. I'm not saying all people who stay home are worthless.

But saying, "Hey, voting's cool, I would, maybe, you know, but there's this football game..." If you spend more time and energy defending your laziness than it would've taken to just vote in the first place... if you already have a history of contributing essentially nothing to a conversation (except to talk about yourself, lecture newbies, and change your mind five times a day)... in fact, if, hypothetically, you workfor the government, and spout off about how the system is screwed up and how you know better... if you willingly squander an actual opportunity to do something, and not just bitch or show off how much of an "insider" you are...

Then, sorry, not only do I have no interest in what you have to say. I quite emphatically think you shouldn't say anything about politics.

You could anyway, sure. But your opinion means less than squat.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; September 23, 2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    You could anyway, sure. But your opinion means less than squat.
                    Yeeeehaaaa!!!

Aunte Lynn

Comment

Flipping through, the quirks introduced by KHON's much-touted "Ignite" production system are painfully obvious. Every action seems to require a two-second delay, and when that action is to fix a mistake -- a wrong cutaway, missing audio -- it's painful to watch Leslie or Joe flounder and blink helplessly.

Dave Shapiro will be liveblogging, and is already helping catch some of the developments I've missed in channel surfing. Anyone know of anyone else?

Comment

Apparently to see the 2006 Primary Election results you need to register to see it on the Office of Elections website. The frustrating thing is I tried to register twice and got this error message :

"You do not have sufficient privileges to view this page. If you believe you are receiving this message in error, please send an e-mail to elections@aloha.net."

I guess I'll have to look on the news sites for the latest results.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Dave Shapiro will be liveblogging, and is already helping catch some of the developments I've missed in channel surfing. Anyone know of anyone else?
                          I'll start a live thread on my blog. I'm monitoring KHON mostly.

KHON carried some comments from Ed Case and he gave his thank-yous right off the bat, and struck a conciliatory tone...sounds almost like he's giving a concession speech even before the first printout comes out.
                          http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

I just noticed the same thing, Aaron. Dumb.

You know, a few elections back, the Office of Elections was pretty new at the whole "Internets and tubes" thing. I was helping a friend's state Senate campaign (a Republican, thank you), and we were all at campaign HQ waiting for the returns like everyone else. The first batch came out, both on TV (as reporters and interns scrambled to the trough at the Capitol for their stack of paper) and on the web. And on the latter, I noticed the URL for the results report PDF was something like 'results_primary_batch1.pdf".

Well, I just typed "results_primary_batch2.pdf" into my browser, and kept hitting reload. Sure enough, the counts would show up online about ten minutes before they gave 'em out on TV. It got to the point where I was calling my reporter friends at the TV stations and pretending to bet I knew what the "next count" would show. Sure, it was only a few minutes' advance knowledge, but it was fun in a thoroughly geeky way.

Doesn't look like we'll have that chance tonight, though.

ETA: Cool, Keith. I've got your blog bookmarked. I missed Case on KHON as my kids are getting their bedtime show on the TiVo.

Comment

All polls are closed. The first printout is imminent.

ETA: 7:41 p.m. There were some glitches, NOT all polls are closed yet. Still waiting.
                              Last edited by Keith H.; September 23, 2006, 07:41 PM.
                              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

I just noticed the same thing, Aaron. Dumb.
                                Doesn't look like we'll have that chance tonight, though.
                                Very dumb and disappointing indeed, mahalo for the confirmation.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X