Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Default Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

Quote Originally Posted by timkona
    I got a question. If a candidate for rep gets more than 50% of the vote, does he win automatic? Cuz I want Hosley to win over Herkes in my district for the State House.
    No. This is a party election. You can get three votes in your party, but if you win your party, you still get to be on the general ballot. This is as it should be.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

kamuelakea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener
    No. This is a party election. You can get three votes in your party, but if you win your party, you still get to be on the general ballot. This is as it should be.

Brah, you quoting quotes that don't exist. Where you getting this from. You answering questions from page 1 while we on 4?

Quote Originally Posted by kamuelakea
    Brah, you quoting quotes that don't exist. Where you getting this from. You answering questions from page 1 while we on 4?
    Sorry. Some of us were serving democracy at the polling places while the early posts hit the board. I'm reading the posts in reverse order so I don't respond to something with the same info that someone else posted. Nobody answered Timkona's question, so I stepped up. Thanks for asking.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

It's from reply #14 on this thread.

kamuelakea Guest

Sorry. Some of us were serving democracy at the polling places while the early posts hit the board. I'm reading the posts in reverse order so I don't respond to something with the same info that someone else posted. Nobody answered Timkona's question, so I stepped up. Thanks for asking.
    hoe, you japanese, alwayz detail detail detail. Amazing. Assss why I like sushi, so much fricken detail. No josh brah. kanna beat Japanese for attention to detail. Sushi, packaging, electronics, customer service, all with amazing focus. You good scrivener.

Tell us more. Are you a Hawaii Plantation Okinawan or a recent immigrant for example? The fact that you go against the grain means you must be one smat buggah but there is usually an explanation. Where were your parent's born. Do you like them?
    3rd gen on my dad's side (my Okinawan side), 4th or 5th gen depending on which branch of my mom's family you count from (my naichi side). My parents were both from Maui originally. I have a good relationship with my parents (more accurately, I HAD a good relationship with my dad...he passed away 18 years ago. ). As for smart, well, smart enough to get into the spoiled kids' school (i.e. Punahou), and go to college on the big rock.

Guess I'm more influenced by Bill Clinton and his more moderate brand of Democrat-ness. What makes me a Dem is social issues and foreign policy (I think we shouldn't have gone into Iraq in the first place, but now that we're there...we DO need to clean up the mess we made), not so much economics...

My point: Even as recently as a decade, yeah, that would be true that ethnic groups tend to vote in a bloc. But I think voters are straying a bit more from the mold. At least that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    I don't know this race at all, but it's John Mizuno 52%, Terry Visperas 23%.
    On the off-chance that someone is interested in this race besides me:

Visperas is Filipino and has been out on the streets every day for weeks, in one of Hawaii's most Filipino neighborhoods. Mizuno was a member of departing long-time representative Dennis Arakaki's office staff; Arakaki's a guy I consider exactly the right kind of guy for a neighborhood like Kalihi. Arakaki has given Mizuno his endorsement.

I don't particularly care for either of them; I actually feel some hostility toward both. The intersection of Likelike and School is a disgusting eyesore, largely because of signs by Visperas and Mizuno, and I can't support a candidate with so little regard for his own voters' neighborhoods. Neither candidate did much to let voters know how they stand on the issues that matter to Kalihi. Mizuno sent me campaign literature stamped "personal," and I opened it because I thought maybe it was. It wasn't. I thought that was dirty. I hope neither wins.
    Last edited by scrivener; September 23rd, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

kamuelakea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith H.
    My point: Even as recently as a decade, yeah, that would be true that ethnic groups tend to vote in a bloc. But I think voters are straying a bit more from the mold. At least that's my experience.
    You might be right. But I haven't seen it in election results yet. Akaka vs. Case is just another example of a predictable outcome long before the race begins.

Good for you Keith H. You are truly an independent thinker. But I still think you are an exception.

kamuelakea Guest

Visperas is Filipino and has been out on the streets every day for weeks, in one of Hawaii's most Filipino neighborhoods. Mizuno was a member of departing long-time representative Dennis Arakaki, a guy I consider exactly the right kind of guy for a neighborhood like Kalihi.

Filipinos are a tougher group to predict. They like supporting anyone who supports filipinos. They were Fasi and Harris's big supporters. Filipinos love to support Filipinos and will with incredible energy (Jasmine Trias) but they aren't as "racial" as other races. They will support anyone and will turn on a Filipino the minute they don't trust um for some reason.

So calling a race in a largely filipino district is way tougher. I wonder what Kalihi's demographic is anyway. Probably lots of Japanese and Hawaiians and new immigrants as well.

Milton Holt, Chun-Oakland were Kalihi reps. They aren't filipino.

Maybe we're assuming Kalihi is "filipino" because there happens to be a few more than normal. Kinda like we assume Hawaii Kai is "haole" even though i bet haoles are a minority in Hawaii Kai today.

More than 30% makes a majority in Hawaii.
    Last edited by kamuelakea; September 23rd, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Waiting now for the 2nd printout.

Interesting things said during the filler time between printouts about the Case v Akaka race.

1) Republicans who represented crossover votes in the Case v Akaka race would be more inclined to vote for Akaka hoping that for some reason he would not be able to fulfill his term and Lingle would be allowed to replace him.

2) Republicans should not vote for Case in the primary because if he beats Akaka he would be tough to beat in the General Election and would be hard to unseat as an incumbent.

3) If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kory K
    If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.
    Gee...I wonder where she might find someone who fits THAT description?
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kory K
    Interesting things said during the filler time between printouts about the Case v Akaka race.

1) Republicans who represented crossover votes in the Case v Akaka race would be more inclined to vote for Akaka hoping that for some reason he would not be able to fulfill his term and Lingle would be allowed to replace him.

2) Republicans should not vote for Case in the primary because if he beats Akaka he would be tough to beat in the General Election and would be hard to unseat as an incumbent.

3) If Linda Lingle was to appoint someone to fill a seat vacated by Akaka or Inouye if they failed to complete their term, her best bet is to pick some lowly nobody off the Democratic party registration list who would not win a reelection as the incumbent.
    Well, with Jerry Coffee winning the GOP primary, the GOP may have a chance to hand-pick their nominee, and you know they'll choose their strongest candidate. So, this may all be moot in the long run; they COULD have a chance to have their cake now instead of later. Not that it's likely to happen, but hey...

Well, Rick Hamada from KHNL was sitting with Brickwood and asked him if HE fit the bill. I think Brick's face is a little red from that little jab.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith H.
    Well, with Jerry Coffee winning the GOP primary, the GOP may have a chance to hand-pick their nominee, and you know they'll choose their strongest candidate. So, this may all be moot in the long run; they COULD have a chance to have their cake now instead of later. Not that it's likely to happen, but hey...
    Dan Boylan suggested they pick a newcomer to fill that spot so they can start to build name recognition for future elections. I doubt anyone thinks the Republicans will take the seat from the Case v Akaka winner.

No, I don't think so. Aunty Linda already got bitten once by appointing her.

Other interesting commentary as pundits parse the numbers (if I heard correctly)... that Hanabusa is in fact leading Hirono when limited to Honolulu County voters. But that Hirono's huge lead at this point, and the fact that she has almost double Hanabusa's votes on the Neighbor Islands, is indicative about how Hirono's statewide machine (from her last run) has paid off, while Hanabusa's Oahu-centric campaigning will hurt. Hirono's going to run away with this one.

Akaka still leads:
    AKAKA, Daniel K. 87,102 54.8%
    CASE, Ed 71,712 45.1%

Hirono still leads:
    HIRONO, Mazie K. 18,236 22.3%
    HANABUSA, Colleen 15,071 18.4%
    MATSUNAGA, Matt 11,672 14.3%
    HOOSER, Gary L. 8,545 10.4%
    HEE, Clayton 8,275 10.1%
    MENOR, Ron 5,437 6.6%
    SCHATZ, Brian 5,419 6.6%
    GARCIA, Nestor R. 2,693 3.3%
    AIPOALANI, Hanalei Y. 1,643 2.0%
    ZUIKER, Joe 766 0.9%

Hogue still leads, but still very close:
    HOGUE, Bob 5,333 46.7%
    KAWANANAKOA, Quentin Kuhio 4,934 43.2%

Iwase still leads over Aila:
    IWASE, Randy 79,730 49.9%
    AILA, William J., Jr. 27,667 17.3%
    TANABE, Van K. 11,022 6.9%

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

did anybody do the electronic voting?

I did and it was a bit confusing. After selecting the party you want to vote on and hit "select" to highlight the checkbox in red, the next screen takes you directly to the Democratic ballot. Going back to the party selection screen I try again and hit "select". Same thing. The Democratic party ballot is staring at me (can you tell I'm a republican yet?)

There is a scroll wheel you use to select a field within that page the screen is on so I scrolled the wheel and the ballots started flashing by with the republican ballot coming up next. Okay the instructions didn't tell me that but I figured it out myself. The paper printout verified my choices and I hit "confirm" and walked to the volunteers to tell them the instructions were not clear.

After being the first in my polling place to use the electronic voting machine and talking to one of the volunteers about my problem with it, another volunteer comes up and looks at the serial connector from the voting machine that was dangling and unhooked to anything and asked if it was supposed to be hooked up or not. Okay after a bit of discussion we decided it was for downloading at the close of the polls. Hmmm I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Other interesting commentary as pundits parse the numbers (if I heard correctly)... that Hanabusa is in fact leading Hirono when limited to Honolulu County voters. But that Hirono's huge lead at this point, and the fact that she has almost double Hanabusa's votes on the Neighbor Islands, is indicative about how Hirono's statewide machine (from her last run) has paid off, while Hanabusa's Oahu-centric campaigning will hurt. Hirono's going to run away with this one.
    Don't think she's going to run away but it looks like she'll be able to maintain her lead through the night. Not planning on staying up any longer to see the next print out. I'll read it in the fish wrap tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    Nope and the reason being is that there was just one machine at the polling place. Last thing I wanted to do was to hold up the line to use that machine while I decided on who to vote for.

Konaguy, of course I don't know what happens to those ballots once they leave the precinct, but I can say that the ballots that get dropped into the slot go to a different place, in a separate envelope, where they are supposedly counted. At the end of the election, that black box is emptied out. The ballots that were successfully counted are put into a sealed box. The ballots that were dropped in are put into an envelope designated for that purpose, and are counted with the absentee ballots that people drop off rather than mail in.

I don't know if that reassures you, but I hope it does.
    Slightly it does. See what exactly happend was the ballot box was beeping
    and giving a cryptic error code. As I was listening to the precinct officials
    while I was waiting for them resolve this, they mentioned the way I described
    the vote would not be counted.It slightly relives me that he might've been
    mis informed. But come Monday, I was going to call up the elections folks
    and get to bottom of it.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Wasn't given the option when I went to city hall to cast my absentee ballot.

Nope, as much as I use computers in my life and being such a techno nerd,
    I would never use of those electronic voting machines.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Konaguy
    Nope, as much as I use computers in my life and being such a techno nerd,
    I would never use of those electronic voting machines.
    I figured it should be safe to use and if it didn't there would be Hell to pay and a news story worthy of reporting.

The good thing about the electronic balloting is that if you make a mistake you can change it before making anything permanent.

One other thing is that I overheard a couple of men complaining that their names was on that mail in yellow post card indicating their registration but their names didn't show on the "Fail-Safe" listing whatever that was. But it seems that fail safe paper printout wasn't so fail safe after all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast