This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Election Day Live Thread

I think the point is that there are always exceptions, so curt, snarky "rules" are pretty pointless. People within families -- same upbringing, same cultural and economic backgrounds -- split on votes like the Case vs. Akaka race. At one point, my wife and I were voting opposite our respective "race" in that race!

Anyway.

Cayetano was just on KHON. He's very mellow, but I liked his commentary. He noted he had once supported Case, but felt Case should've waited and perhaps tried for Governor first. He was also surprised by Hirono's strong showing, but didn't want to count Hanabusa out. He also thinks Iwase can have a decent showing against Lingle, but thinks his biggest liability is campaign financing.

When KHON cut to Akaka HQ, behind Ron Mizutani was a giant TV screen with KGMB's logo on it.
    Last edited by pzarquon; September 23, 2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

So will Terry Visperas beat John Mizuno in the Kalihi State House election?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        I dunno. Whats deah race? What is Visperas? Filipino?
        Last edited by kamuelakea; September 23, 2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

In case the Office of Elections website is not enough for timely results try the special KGMB TV website:

http://www.kgmb9elections.com/

They report getting tons of hits that one of their servers crashed.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            I don't know this race at all, but it's John Mizuno 52%, Terry Visperas 23%. With so few votes counted, you never know, but generally gaps get wider, not smaller. Generally.

Oh! Here's another race worthy of tracking:

District 28:
            Karl Rhoads (D) 801/58%
            Bev Harbin (D?) 215/15%
            Colin Wong (R) 256/86%

Talk about a statistical outlier. The incumbent is losing, and the Republican has more votes! I doubt you'll see that in any other race tonight.

ETA: KGMB is reporting website overload? So is the Advertiser's blog server. ("Too many connections.") A pity. I was looking forward to Shapiro's commentary. Keep on blogging, Keith!
            Last edited by pzarquon; September 23, 2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Gotta say, in addition to doing one's civic duty, another reason why, say, Scrivener might be volunteering at a polling place was definitely evident at the registration tables. At least at MHS. Though there were signs prohibiting cell phone use, I'm going to be keeping an eye on his sneaky photostream.
              Hah. Believe me, there were many great opportunities, especially sitting at a table while someone leaned over to sign the pollbook (I was the only pollbook official not to take a break today! Except to go to the bathroom, I was at my station the entire eleven hours the polls were open!), BUT there are things stronger than hormones on election day, and anyone who knows me knows that I take elections very, very seriously, and THAT's why I work the polls. My phone was turned off all day. My camera was in the car.

But I may bring it next time!
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                I don't know about now but in the past the State of Hawaii normally does three print outs on the night of the election. First print out may show one candidate ahead and on the second print out that same candidate might be behind.
                I was just thinking that same thing...

Comment

I think the point is that there are always exceptions, so curt, snarky "rules" are pretty pointless. People within families -- same upbringing, same cultural and economic backgrounds -- split on votes like the Case vs. Akaka race. At one point, my wife and I were votting opposite our respective "race" in that race!
                  Agreed. For the record, I voted for Case in the 2002 primary, 2003 special, 2004, AND 2006 (and Lingle in the 2002 general). And I'm Japanese-Okinawan, and a Democrat. So there.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                    But nonetheless, I'm a bit frustrated about this. Why don't they have a spare ballot box at each site.I'm afraid my vote won't count because of this.As they had to open up the manual ballot slot, where your ballot won't count ?
                    Konaguy, of course I don't know what happens to those ballots once they leave the precinct, but I can say that the ballots that get dropped into the slot go to a different place, in a separate envelope, where they are supposedly counted. At the end of the election, that black box is emptied out. The ballots that were successfully counted are put into a sealed box. The ballots that were dropped in are put into an envelope designated for that purpose, and are counted with the absentee ballots that people drop off rather than mail in.

I don't know if that reassures you, but I hope it does.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh! Here's another race worthy of tracking:

District 28:
                      Karl Rhoads (D) 801/58%
                      Bev Harbin (D?) 215/15%
                      Colin Wong (R) 256/86%

Talk about a statistical outlier. The incumbent is losing, and the Republican has more votes! I doubt you'll see that in any other race tonight.
                      Isn't Harbin the one who got appointed to the seat and then refused to vacate it when asked to resign?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        Isn't Harbin the one who got appointed to the seat and then refused to vacate it when asked to resign?
                        Yes. She also didn't like her committee assignments and refused to serve. She pretended to be a Democrat and is being beaten both by a Democratic challenger andthe Republican candidate in the race... a position that is largely written off in some districts.

Come to think of it, though, Karl Rhoads and Collin Wong would be a contest to watch in the general election. It was fun to note how they pretty much ganged up on Harbin for the primary, but it'll be every man for himself in November. And frankly, from what I've seen from both, I could live with either.

Anyone but Bev.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          Can't someone vote to not vote?
                          Damon, I went into great, empassioned detail about how you actually CAN vote not to vote. Not only did you repeat (a couple of times) your decision not to vote, you never once acknowledged my argument about what it really means to "vote not to vote." I tried to engage you in meaningful discussion, but you wouldn't play by the rules of discourse...I really, truly, honestly care about why you won't vote, but if you won't even listen to what others have to say about it, please say so, and I'll spare myself the effort.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                            Agreed. For the record, I voted for Case in the 2002 primary, 2003 special, 2004, AND 2006 (and Lingle in the 2002 general). And I'm Japanese-Okinawan, and a Democrat. So there.

Tell us more. Are you a Hawaii Plantation Okinawan or a recent immigrant for example? The fact that you go against the grain means you must be one smat buggah but there is usually an explanation. Where were your parent's born. Do you like them?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
                              If you were going to cross party lines, you could have at least voted in the other races. One vote for Case isn't going to do anything aside from making you feel better.
                              I disagree, Keanu. That one vote for Case does matter. Sure, maybe it won't DECIDE anything, but every vote in every race means something. If nothing else, it is an exercise -- a public, visible, important exercise -- in practicing democracy. I voted in the Libertarian primary, not because I think it will have any practical effect on the election (all three candidates on my Libertarian ballot were running unopposed), but when I cast that vote, I was telling SOMEONE that at least this one person believe in the ideals of this party. That means something to me.

If you vote, any reason at all for that vote is a valid reason. That's what makes it democracy.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mitchell, your charity, patience, and pity is impressive, but it hurts me to see you take Damon seriously. Spare yourself the effort. Don't give him any more reason to interject here. Talk more about cute girls at your polling station and why you like or don't like this Terry Visperas person.

I'd also recommend not taking the bait on the little race theory. It doesn't hold, and an answer can be fabricated for any exception. Let's not focus on each other, in short, and focus on the elections. It's interesting enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X