Show Your Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Show Your Blog

Looking forward to spending more time here on the board. (This sounds like deja vu, because I think I've said that sometime in the past.)
    Donna! Welcome back, again! And yeah, you'd resolved to post more as a New Year's Resolution last year. It's not too late to keep it, as far as I'm concerned!

Originally posted by Donna View Post
    Blogging since before "blog" was a word ~ and still going strong.
    I hear you. And you know how much I love your blog (and vlog and fitness blog and Vox and...)!

My first blog post, in July 2000, began, "I guess before my general disdain for the weblog fad solidifies, I should at least give it a good turn." As you'll note, back then, I even refused to use the word "blog," considering the shorthand to be too silly, sloppy.

Seven years later, and this is what it's come to:

Comment

Nice to see you around Donna! I hope all things have been well.

I've disappeared from HS and HT for a long while, too. I keep telling myself I'll catch up to all the blogs I used to read in the past but I haven't started yet. >_>

It's great to see familiar faces... err handles... names, nicknames. You know.

And there's PZ pimpin' his plate. :P Wonder if there'll be a competition to see who can spot him and take pics of where he's been spotted?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Donna! Welcome back, again! And yeah, you'd resolved to post more as a New Year's Resolution last year. It's not too late to keep it, as far as I'm concerned!
        Nothing gets past you, Ryan! That search function is just too good!

By the way, it is only fitting that you get the "BLOG" license plate. I have always seen you as a pioneer in the online frontier in Hawaii.

~~~

DaFerret: Thanks for the welcome! Do you have a blog, too? (Or did I miss that post?)

Aloha!

Comment

My first blog post, in July 2000, began, "I guess before my general disdain for the weblog fad solidifies, I should at least give it a good turn." As you'll note, back then, I even refused to use the word "blog," considering the shorthand to be too silly, sloppy.

Seven years later, and this is what it's come to:
          That's why everyone loves you!

Since we're doing blog confessions at the moment... the other day I confessed to everyone's favorite aunty, Auntie Pupule, that I was looking for additional income when I got started, but, it only took me four or five months to figure out that, although I'm still poor and in financial distress (and the blog's not helping) I love the damn thing!

The blogs are a great source of information, community opinion and a source for bonding -- even if it's just our minds that are doing the bonding. It's also a wonderful way to express and share your passions about the things that warm your heart of make your neck hairs bristle!

I think you found out a little bit quicker than seven years, oh great Pzar!

Hi Donna! Nice to meet you!
          Aloha,
          Evelyn
          Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Donna View Post
            DaFerret: Thanks for the welcome! Do you have a blog, too? (Or did I miss that post?)
            Oops, yah, it's different than the one I had when I first joined HS.

Here's my current blog. I go through domain names like water. >_>

Comment

Egads! Today's the deadline for the Carnival that goes live on Monday. Not a lot of entries and I'm not surprised. Too many irons in the fire at this time of year! So, here is a reminder and the entry form and, if you miss the cutoff today, let me know and I'll pull it in even if it moves over to next month.

Anything you guys want to send in to help us wrap up the year, go for it! Pick your best or favorite post of the year and let me know that's what it is! Looking to highlight what you highlight! Okay, now I can't wait to see what comes in! This will be fun!

If you've got a blog and you've got some Aloha to share, what are you waiting for? (tapping fingers on the counter). Come on you guys -- let's all wrap up the year and welcome in the new one!
              Aloha,
              Evelyn
              Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Sprite View Post
                here is a reminder and the entry form and, if you miss the cutoff today, let me know and I'll pull it in even if it moves over to next month.
                As long as I have it by Friday evening we should be fine!
                Aloha,
                Evelyn
                Homespun Honolulu

Comment

The newest edition of the Carnival is up! So, Don't Miss the Train Ride!

All of you guys are welcome to join us you know! It's fun and you get to meet new people and learn new things!

If nothing else, we've got a great recap of Auntie Lynn's Slippah Project!
                  Aloha,
                  Evelyn
                  Homespun Honolulu

Comment

You've shown me yours, so I'll show you mine:

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Actually, I could use some honest critique. A friend of mine, female, haole, Soutnerner, been here about ten years, recently told me that I came across as insensitive to Hawaiians when I did my most recent Slippah Project post. That's the last thing I want to do, but I'm just not seeing what she's talking about. She referred specifically to a phrase I used to describe kids reaching up to the truck: "I was reminded of New Orleans and Mardi Gras several times as eager young hands reached up to the truck claim their prizes."

I've been here long enough to know that I'm not kama'aina, except I get discounts. I understand the difference between the real term and the commercial one. I know that I'll always be malahini; I wasn't born here and my heritage is not local. Still, I've been made to feel at home here. I've tried to repay the aloha, in part, by being sensitive to culture and custom. I admit frequent bouts of ignorance, but I'm learning. I don't pretend to be anything other than what I am: a haole, a newcomer, humbled to be living in this place, in an amazing society of blended cultures. It's inevitable, I guess, that I screw up sometimes, not because I don't care, but because I don't know. I'd like to do better.

Many of my older blog post don't have tags and category listed because I moved from Blogger to my own domain in January and never went back and added those qualifications. I did go back today, though, and tag and categorize some older posts that focus on "local stuff." If you click the "Hawaii" category in the drop down selection box in my left sidebar you'll see most of the posts I've done with a local focus. (Quite a few of those, though, were for a weekly gardening thing I used to do, so not so much about local ways in those.) I'm proud of my wiriting, but I promise I won't get bent out of shape if you think there are lessons I need to learn.

I'd very much appreciate it if any of you would care to read a little of what I've written and offer your honest opinion as to whether I come across as another dumb, insensitive haole. I'm old, but not incapable of change.

Mahalo for any input you'd care to offer.
                    Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

New year, new blog. I invite everyone to see what's spewing From the Mind of NEENZ.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Here's something. If you have a blog and are willing to geek out with other local bloggers, I'm experimenting with a service called CLIQ.
                        That was fast. CLIQ is shutting down. I thought it was a neat idea, but the company that owned it was acquired by another company that has its own plans for invading the social media space. Ah well.
                        Originally posted by skeeterbess
                        I'd very much appreciate it if any of you would care to read a little of what I've written and offer your honest opinion as to whether I come across as another dumb, insensitive haole.
                        If you know enough to even ask the question, and endeavor to walk that impossible line between writing earnestly and honestly while also trying to be considerate others' sensitivities, I'd say the answer by default is that you're not "another dumb, insensitive haole." I'm not sure I would've made the Mardi Gras comparison, but only because of my mental image of what some people do to get those goodies... certainly not as a judgement of character or worth.

Interesting that you note that your friend who shared her concern is also relatively new to Hawaii. I find in my personal experience that my wife, from Florida, is more sensitive to perceived slights against Asians and or Hawaiians (i.e. me and our kids) than I am. In many cases she has a fair point, and has focused in on something that I may have just learned to tune out... but on the other hand, I can see how this can be taken to the extreme by some. And when someone not from some group goes out of their way to defend or "speak out on behalf of" said group, things can get hairy.

Comment

Never thought I ever could use a blog. But now that I have one....eerrr, two, I wish I had gotten them sooner!

I have a blog for my biz at http://eastcoasttropics.blogspot.com

And I made a second for my hawaii travels at: http://myhawaiitravels.blogspot.com
                          I used to have a yahoo groups where I posted both biz stuffs and travels but decided to keep the two separate with its own blogs. I love this blogging stuffs! Its so fun to add photos and youtubes and....

I haz blog, play wit colors! *LOL*
                          Lovena

Comment

I've been very negligent and should have left this note on Wednesday.

Sorry! I know I promised to remind everyone. The deadline for the next Carnival is this coming Wednesday. The Carnival will go live on Monday, February 4th.

Here's the link!

EastCoastTropics, feel free to join in the fun! Since your blog left me in tears... put those photos of Hawaii with Kealii's passionate voice behind it and I'm done for. I'm just too easy.
                            Aloha,
                            Evelyn
                            Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Okay, the most recent Carnival is alive and well! Here's a Whale of a Carnival!

Please join us for the March 3rd edition. Deadline for that one is February 27th.

I miss you guys when you're not there.
                              Aloha,
                              Evelyn
                              Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Okay, this is two months in a row that I have been tardy with the monthly reminder. This coming Wednesday, 2/27, is the deadline for submissions to be included in the Carnival of Aloha that will go live on March 3rd.

Sorry I'm late! Can't wait to share everyone's posts!
                                Aloha,
                                Evelyn
                                Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Working...
                                X