Hawaii bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii bound

OK, well I'll introduce myself. I'm Native American (Cherokee), 24 years old, working in the telecommunications industry (cellular), going to school (pre-nursing right now), dating a wonderful guy named Chase, & I'm looking to plant my roots somewhere. I'm not sure if any of you venture to myspace, but it is a guilty pleasure of mine & you can find out more than you will ever want to know about me there. It is private, & you've got to befriend me 1st, so if you're trying to do that, send me a message to let me know you saw me here. http://myspace.com/erikamarie

Hawaii has always been a distant dream of mine. (I know you guys love that line!) I love the tropics/subtropics. Being a Native Floridian, I can handle humidity, the sun, etc. I hate snow, ice, slush, sleet, hale, cold, etc. The plan was originally to move back to Florida, but a recent trip there to visit family has lessened my desire of moving home. My boyfriend (who I'll end up marrying eventually) brought up a desire to move to Hawaii, which has fueled me into an obsessive learning streak about Hawaii, the culture, the lingo, homes, tourism, employment, etc. I'm in a complete rut where I am now, & I've been dying to leave since I got here. I know I have to finish school & my boyfriend needs to finish school as well (master in social studies w/ certificate to teach) before I make any kind of plans, & I know that's a few years down the road. I want to go prepared, & I want to do some networking beforehand as well.

I was searching Hawaii on YouTube & found Ryan there. I'm not sure what his username on here is, though & I haven't said one word to him, but I was enjoying his videos & saw that he ran this website. I've been reading the forum for the past 2 hours... I have a few questions of my own that I have yet to ask, but will have plenty of time to do so.

While I don't expect Hawaii to be Utopia or anything, compared to the DC Suburbs, there's no doubt I'll view the islands as anything but paradise with streets paved of gold... I wouldn't mind paying more for a better quality of life & losing the hustle & bustle of this area, the lack of hospitality, & the cold, rigid winters sounds like winning the lotto.

PS... 1st question... Is it annoying or do you like it when non-Hawaiians use the local lingo & language?
    <3 EriKa
    ErikaMarie.us

Re: Hawaii bound

Welcome to HT!

To answer your first question first -- it depends. Wanting to learn Hawaiian, or pidgin, or both, can be taken as a sign that you want to fit in, but it can sometimes be cringeworthy if you mangle the usage and pronunciation. Or, worst, it could be misconstrued as poking fun at the locals. It all depends on your attitude and how you present yourself.

As you know, Ryan is the boss here -- he is either pzarquon or admin, depending on if he's writing in a personal or an official capacity.

You won't lack for a job. Nursing is an in-demand profession here -- but check out the local nurses' union for the scoop on local working conditions and job prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Nursing is an in-demand profession here
      You may also get some helpful advice from some nurses who frequent these boards. Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie
        PS... 1st question... Is it annoying or do you like it when non-Hawaiians use the local lingo & language?
        You may think this is a simple question (and it seems that it is) but the answer to this question is complex and will vary from person to person and the situation you find yourself in.

I don't know if you wanted to speak the local lingo or post stuff to HawaiiThreads using the local lingo which is mostly a verbal form rather than a defined written form.

Comment

Welcome Erika, Have some fun here !
          I am the non-resident lurker/welcomer...
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Welcome to HT!

To answer your first question first -- it depends. Wanting to learn Hawaiian, or pidgin, or both, can be taken as a sign that you want to fit in, but it can sometimes be cringeworthy if you mangle the usage and pronunciation. Or, worst, it could be misconstrued as poking fun at the locals. It all depends on your attitude and how you present yourself.

As you know, Ryan is the boss here -- he is either pzarquon or admin, depending on if he's writing in a personal or an official capacity.

You won't lack for a job. Nursing is an in-demand profession here -- but check out the local nurses' union for the scoop on local working conditions and job prospects.
            Thanx for the links! Right now, the goal is to be a registered nurse. I'd eventually like to move on to be a Nurse Anesthetist, but I know that will take time, & I want to fit having children somewhere in there too. I figure, if I'm a nurse, & my future hubby is a teacher, we will always have jobs. I'm in the beginning stages after switching pretty much everything I was doing to persue an entirely new career. He's 8 months away from receiving his masters degree.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            You may also get some helpful advice from some nurses who frequent these boards. Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome!
            I'm counting on it! Thanx
            <3 EriKa
            ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by helen
              You may think this is a simple question (and it seems that it is) but the answer to this question is complex and will vary from person to person and the situation you find yourself in.

I don't know if you wanted to speak the local lingo or post stuff to HawaiiThreads using the local lingo which is mostly a verbal form rather than a defined written form.
              I was thinking from the simplest of terms, such as Aloha & Mahalo. I figure they're so popular amongst tourists that it perhaps becomes annoying that these cheesey lookin' tourists come in sprouting out your language like they know it. But I thought that it also might be flattering... that they would want to learn these words.

My parents recently came back from a trip to Hawaii (by recently, I mean a couple days ago). My mom was telling me she learned all these new words... but she couldn't remember them, except for Aloha, mahalo, & lua (go figure). Every one of her photos had a lei around her neck, & she had this **** eating grin on her face in every pic as well. I was thinking to myself "Oh, I bet the locals LOVED her." [/sarcasm]

Originally posted by blueyecicle
              Welcome Erika, Have some fun here !
              I am the non-resident lurker/welcomer...
              Thanx
              <3 EriKa
              ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie
                Thanx for the links! Right now, the goal is to be a registered nurse. I'd eventually like to move on to be a Nurse Anesthetist, but I know that will take time, & I want to fit having children somewhere in there too. I figure, if I'm a nurse, & my future hubby is a teacher, we will always have jobs. I'm in the beginning stages after switching pretty much everything I was doing to persue an entirely new career. He's 8 months away from receiving his masters degree.
                Wow. Quite a laundry list there.

Have you been accepted into a nursing program yet?

FYI, there is no CRNA training available in Hawaii. There are nursing programs but I understand they have long waiting lists.

Unfortunately, teaching jobs don't pay that well here. Nursing pays well but not for new grads, compared to many other areas of the country.

Realistically, what do you see as your time-line?

Comment

Aloha and welcome to HT Erika! I hope that you will like HT because the people here are friendly. Hope to see you more on HT!
                  Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                    Wow. Quite a laundry list there.

Have you been accepted into a nursing program yet?

FYI, there is no CRNA training available in Hawaii. There are nursing programs but I understand they have long waiting lists.

Unfortunately, teaching jobs don't pay that well here. Nursing pays well but not for new grads, compared to many other areas of the country.

Realistically, what do you see as your time-line?
                    I have not yet been accepted into a nursing program, but there are a few in my area. Since I originally planned to move home to Florida, I wanted to continue school down there. I didn't realize there wasn't CRNA training there!!! No wonder I keep seeing employment ads for them! That's just silly.

Well, for what it's worth, he intends to be a college professor @ some point. I have absolutely no clue what they pay, but I'd think they'd get paid a decent amount more than regular public school. He's also getting a certificate to teach special education.

Realistically, I see my time line around 5 years from now... MAX. I'd love to push for 3 or 4, but it might be closer to 4. If I am still here past 5 years, I will not be a happy camper.
                    <3 EriKa
                    ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by achow
                      Aloha and welcome to HT Erika! I hope that you will like HT because the people here are friendly. Hope to see you more on HT!
                      Thank you! Everyone has been quite friendly already!
                      <3 EriKa
                      ErikaMarie.us

Comment

I had no idea what the professors at UH made and started wondering, so I googled up this:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/id.php?id=0000467904-01

Anyone know how that compares with university salaries elsewhere?

Comment

I'll toss in my .02 about speaking Hawaiian/pidgin...

Learn the words and what they mean, but do not rush to use them frequently. Instead, wait until you really feel yourself thinking "pau" when you finish something...when it becomes part of your consciousness. Until then, just be yourself. The local folks I’ve known were perfectly comfortable with me as the fresh off the plane “Haole” I was. Give it time and you’ll learn by experience when it’s time to drop some pidgin.

You mentioned that you are Native American, I think you will find ways to keep in touch with that here…there are “Pow Wows” held at Thomas Square several times a year, and there seems to be an affinity between Hawaiians and Native Americans.

Last…take this as a joke with a little advice thrown in…my 3 rules for Malihinis (from one)

1) Don’t talk so loud. Local people hear just fine and speaking real loud is often considered to be rude (OK, I’m originally from the Midwest where we substitute volume for an accent).

2) Shut up and listen, you just may learn something. OK That’s expressed harshly, but hey…it’s to get your attention. What I mean is, there are lots of different (from the mainland) things here in Hawaii, and part of the joy of coming here is experiencing them. Listen and learn (and love it!).

3) We don’t care how they do it on the mainland. It’s different here, that’s what makes it Hawaii and not Cleveland. Not adverse to good ideas, just trying to “mainlandize” Hawaii.

Take these 3 “rules” with a grain of salt and you’ll see a little wisdom there.

All that said…welcome to Hawaii Threads and good luck with your move.

P.S. I lived in Florida a while back and Hawaii humidity is not nearly as bad as Florida.

Comment

This is a topic that has come up repeatedly, but Jeff, yours is one of the most sensible responses I've read (and that includes my own attempts to say some of these things.) I don't know if everyone will agree or not, but I really like the way you phrased your suggestions and thoughts; thanks for that.

Comment

Well! Aloha e Erika! And welcome to HawaiiThreads. You're probably the first person to find their way here from YouTube.

I'm glad you've found your welcome so warm and fun. Some days here, it's a crapshoot! It seems you've got the right mindset as you mull a possible move, and more than a few folks here who are willing to help answer your questions and clarify your thinking, so I've got little to add at this point. Three to five years is definitely a good run-up period to research and learn... while at the same time maximizing your opportunities and experiences where you are now.

My wife is a Florida native, by the way -- born in Jacksonville, grew up in Ocala (one of many areas known generically as "BFE") -- and also has a speck or two of Native American ancestry. She actually misses the south now and then, but certainly knows herself to be blessed to be raising a family here.

Comment

Working...
                              X