X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cocqui Frogs

Originally posted by blueyecicle
    Oh yeah well, there's that killing thing too!! hehehehe LMBO
    Wait.... I think they make your hair turn pink!

Comment

Every trip to the Big Island, we hear more and more coqui frogs. I remember the first time I heard 'em, I was at the "lava tree" state park out Puna way. Remote, forested... made sense. A couple of weekends ago, I heard them in Hilo proper. Even near the Prince Kuhio Plaza.

I could easily see how life in a home surrounded by a chorus of millions of coqui frogs could be practically unberable. And how the problem is starting to push property values down.

There was a report on KHON recently about another way scientists are trying to clear plants of these little chirping pests. Up until now, it was the stinging acidity of citrus that took care of 'em. But it can be harsh on the plant and citrus isn't exactly cheap. The solution, being tested in Waimanalo (!!!) here on Oahu, is a simple hot shower.

Comment

Big Island Coqui Frog Origins

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Every trip to the Big Island, we hear more and more coqui frogs. I remember the first time I heard 'em, I was at the "lava tree" state park out Puna way. Remote, forested... made sense. A couple of weekends ago, I heard them in Hilo proper. Even near the Prince Kuhio Plaza.

I could easily see how life in a home surrounded by a chorus of millions of coqui frogs could be practically unberable. And how the problem is starting to push property values down.

There was a report on KHON recently about another way scientists are trying to clear plants of these little chirping pests. Up until now, it was the stinging acidity of citrus that took care of 'em. But it can be harsh on the plant and citrus isn't exactly cheap. The solution, being tested in Waimanalo (!!!) here on Oahu, is a simple hot shower.
        Coqui frogs have been in Hilo for several years. Most likely, they first showed up in the plant department at the Hilo Wal-Mart. From there, they moved to Puna and other parts of the Big Island.

After a few breeding cycles, I wouldn't be surprised if coqui frogs evolve enough to survive a hot water "bath" or two.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

According to an acquaintance in the USDA, citric acid is the best thing against these frogs. the only drawback is that someone needs to be on duty 24/7 to spray it.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Ask any owner or realtor in Hualalai Colony if they think Coqui Frogs kill property values.

But when all properties on Hawaii are affected, will it matter any more??
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

It would be too quiet a night without them since we don't have crickets here. The night-long chorus of dog and chicken sounds are bad enough, but I don't want to hear my neighbors TV and conversations as well. Much easier to fall asleep to coqui songs than Miami Vice reruns and people yelling at their kids. If only you could get rid of the the pit bulls and roosters with mere citric acid...

Comment

I guess I'm the in the minority with this opinion, but......I enjoy the chickens/roosters (yes, I have plenty of them at all hours of the night in my area) and altho' we don't have the big problem with cocqui frogs yet here, there are some that escaped the lemon juice in Lawai and they aren't bad either!

Definitely beats traffic sounds, stereo, kids crying, etc.!

Just my humble opinion!

Comment

In New England, a sure sign that winter is on its way out and springtime is firmly taking hold, is the long-awaited return (from hibernation) of the "leaf peepers".

Leaf peepers (very tiny tree frogs) start making their presence known, usually in April, with a sound that best can be described as similar to a cricket's chirp. Unlike coqui frogs, the leaf peepers chirping is to be heard for a very limited time in spring, perhaps no more than two weeks...then they are silent again until the next spring. Like the arrival of the first migratory songbirds from the Deep South and Caribbean Islands in spring, the leaf peepers chirp is highly anticipated. It means Ol' Man Winter is moving on to the Southern Hemisphere for a few months.

I have to say that I'm glad leaf peepers aren't nearly as loud as coquis. Their annual springtime return wouldn't be so looked forward to if they were any near as loud as coquis.

As for me, I'll be dealing with coquis in Puerto Rico for the next six weeks or so starting next month. Coquis, for the most part, where I'll be at in PR, (east of Ponce) don't seem to be too much of a problem.

Comment

I've been hearing cricket like sounds from a certain frog lately at my home in Keaau. It's much more subdued and quite pleasent so I don't mind it.

My chickens are doing a pretty good job so far of keeping the Coquis at bay. Just before sunrise they're out there prowling the bushes for them frogs.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X