Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

I heard there’s a plan by the Board of Publications (BOP) to shut down Beau Press, the on-campus printer that churns out Ka Leo. Anyone heard anything about this? What will become of the Mānoa undergraduate’s heralded bathroom reading material?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

There is no plan to shut down Ka Leo O Hawai`i, which is published on campus four times a week, Monday-Thursday.

The Board of Publications, a student organization chartered by the UH Board of Regents to manage Ka Leo, Hawai`i Review, other student publications and Beau Press (its production facility), will hold its monthly, public meeting tonight, Thursday, September 28, at 5 p.m. in Campus Center 220.

On its agenda is this item:

5. Creation of ad hoc Strategy & Direction Committee

We will be forming a new committee to explore, strategize and
    define the board's mission and goals for the next five years. All
    voting board members are invited to join, as well as all program
    heads, and each ad hoc committee member shall have one vote for
    committee matters. It will be led by a committee chair and vice-
    chair. The committee shall produce a preliminary report by October
    20th and a final report by November 10th, each of which are to be
    distributed by e-mail to the BOP listserv.

In addition to a clearly defined 5-year mission and goals, the
    ad hoc committee's report will consider various ramifications of
    upgrading our current press or outsourcing to an off-site press, with
    pros and cons for each suggested option. When deciding on the
    upgrade/outsourcing matter, the BOP will take this report into
    consideration together with a separate report from the Planning &
    Finance Committee, which will focus only on the financial details of
    each option.
    ________

Anyone may attend BOP's meetings. You also can send comments to BOP Chair Carl Polley, c/o Board of Publications, University of Hawai`i at Manoa, 1755 Pope Rd., Building 31-D, Honolulu, HI 96822 or fax them to 956-9962. The BOP's website is currently offline, while being moved to another server.

You may view Ka Leo online at www.kaleo.org, where you can post responses to stories and columns. BOP also has a new publication, Ka Lamakua, online at www.kalamakua.org

Jay Hartwell
    Editorial Adviser
    Board of Publications
    University of Hawai`i at Manoa

Comment

Whatever happened with The Board of Publication being cited by OSHA who warns the student group that the Environmental Protection Agency may fine a Campus Student Organization for the first time in UH history for dumping chemicals throughout the campus?

Comment

Four days a week? When did that happen? My how times have changed.

Though I remember grumbing about Beau Press since my earliest days as a cub reporter in 1992. Like Marriott, a campus monopoly that limited publishing choices for questionable cost benefits (given that it was supported by student fees). When some former Ka Leo miscreants and I tried to start an alternative campus paper, one positive was finding just how compatible off-campuses presses were.

Comment

Ka Leo went to four days a week last year - editor at the time told me that Friday was their lowest ad revenue day. Last year they were continually looking for writers, and relying heavily on syndicated material, but that pressure seems to have lessened this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Hartwell
            In addition to a clearly defined 5-year mission and goals, the ad hoc committee's report will consider various ramifications of upgrading our current press or outsourcing to an off-site press, with pros and cons for each suggested option. When deciding on the upgrade/outsourcing matter, the BOP will take this report into consideration together with a separate report from the Planning & Finance Committee, which will focus only on the financial details of each option.
            Hmmm... this must be what I overheard.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

What's wrong with going to an off-site press if it will save the students money and/or make the paper a better product in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                Whatever happened with The Board of Publication being cited by OSHA who warns the student group that the Environmental Protection Agency may fine a Campus Student Organization for the first time in UH history for dumping chemicals throughout the campus?
                I found this story about it. As far as I know, it’s the only thing that was ever said about it, beyond whatever they’re doing internally at UH. KHNL News8, apparently, got the drop on all other Hawai‘i media. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

What's wrong with going to an off-site press if it will save the students money and/or make the paper a better product in the long run?
                  It might save the students money, but I don’t see how it would make the paper a better product. I’m sure whoever ends up printing it won’t want to work around student schedules. Anyhow, looks like you’ll get your wish...

'Pressing' Issue at University of Hawai‘i
                  There's a movement on campus to raise funds to upgrade the printing press. Unless something is done to offset losses, the call on campus may be to stop the presses for good.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    It might save the students money, but I don’t see how it would make the paper a better product. I’m sure whoever ends up printing it won’t want to work around student schedules. Anyhow, looks like you’ll get your wish...

'Pressing' Issue at University of Hawai‘i
                    As we move to a digital society... the need for paper products will soon stop.

I think the Kaleo should just stick to an "online" format.... more better for the environment in the long run....

As we move to a digital society... we will see less and less newspapers in a "hard copy" format and hopefully in the long run this will save some trees.

Comment

As we move to a digital society... the need for paper products will soon stop.
                      That prediction has been right up there with video telephones and flying cars. On-line has taken some importance, but the paper format is not disappearing. Maybe when digital paper is perfected.

Comment

Overall U.S. newspaper circulation has been declining steadily on an annual basis since 1987, according to broader figures compiled by the NAA, as newspapers face increasing competition for readers' time from other media such as cable TV and the Internet.........With print newspaper circulation declining and more people going to the Internet for news, newspapers have been putting more emphasis on their Web site operations, which are growing rapidly but still make up a relatively minuscule proportion of their overall revenues.
                        Separately, the Newspaper Association of America also reported that, according to its analysis of online traffic data from Nielsen/NetRatings, nearly 57 million people visited newspaper Web sites in the third quarter, up 24 percent from the same period a year ago. That figure made up 37 percent of all Internet users.
                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061030/...rs_circulation

Comment

This cracked me up today...

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            That prediction has been right up there with video telephones and flying cars. On-line has taken some importance, but the paper format is not disappearing. Maybe when digital paper is perfected.
                            You’re absolutely right, GeckoGeek. And Mānoa ofcourse doesn’t realize it, but his post actually gives us the reason this will take some time.
                            http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061030/...rs_circulation...newspapers have been putting more emphasis on their Web site operations, which are growing rapidly but still make up a relatively minuscule proportion of their overall revenues.
                            When mānoa quits his job and buys a home using money he made through online advertising revenue, then his “convergence” argument might hold weight.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

TuNnL - Why would I buy "Another" home?

Just because I rent on Oahu!

And no you can't have either of my jobs when I do decide to leave them if and when.
                              (I'm not sure where you got online advertising gig? Competitrack is not that)

However, keeping this on topic...

Ka Leo's New and improved website:
                              Ka Leo O Hawai‘i is revamping its Web site with a new look. The new Web site will include video coverage, audio files, photo galleries and community blogs, just to name a few.
                              http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v.../45452f5b6c520

Can a newspaper "print edition" have video and audio files? As well as interactive blogs?
                              As well as be read across the world by former UH Alumni's the second that it goes online?
                              Last edited by damontucker; October 30, 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X