• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    This cracked me up today...
    I was a bit puzzled by that one too.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      To be honest w/ you tunnl... you know as well as I do... that degrees don't mean crap when it comes to the real world.

You know yourself from many years ago that a piece of paper has never meant anything to me.... It was a way to appease my mom.... but college is a joke at some point when you end up having to teach the professors stuff that they are attempting to teach there students.....

UH is notorious for attempting to pass off graduate students as professors... sad... but true...

You and I know both know... if we wanted... we could go back UH and teach some of the stuff that we have now learned in real life....

A college degree is nothing.... its what you learn while your in college that matters.

I remember a time when a rumor was floating around UH that they would never hire their graduates to teach there.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Any benefit to doing a mixed off-site/on site printing? Perhaps have some sections of the paper printed ahead of time while the others are printed later? I believe this is the way regular papers work.
        It's only an 8-12 page paper and the labor to stuff the sections would cost more than Ka Leo currently pays for the guys who currently print the paper.

Comment

for all the right reasons , Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I remember a time when a rumor was floating around UH that they would never hire their graduates to teach there.
          The graduates should have to get away from "mommy"/UH, grow up away from mom's apron long enough that they can share and absorb life experiences at others' homes, then, coming back home to Hawai'i to help make Hawai'i an ever more vigorous, visionary and righteous place to be borne unto, live for and respect for all the right reasons.

Comment

Hmmm... it looks like there is finally an answer as to why Ka Leo O Hawai‘i no longer has a website. If I was the editor, I would have taken the site down too, if I was being censored by the new owners.

On another note, I hear that a Board of Publications (BOP) decision to keep the on-campus press has been rejected by the administrative organization that oversees the BOP. Anyone know anything about this? Seems eerily similar to a dispute a decade ago, only this time with more dire consequences.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Ka Leo O Hawai‘i Returns

Well, apparently, Ka Leo O Hawai‘i’s sister publication ka lamakua has begun serving as a temporary home on the web for Ka Leo. Reading through the latest issue, my worst fears have apparently come true. The on-campus printer, Beau Press has been shut down after 80 years.

And to the victor goes the spoils? According to the article, the Honolulu Advertiser has been awarded the contract to print Ka Leo from now on. Score another one for Gannett and the Evil Empire.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i Returns

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Score another one for Gannett and the Evil Empire.
                Looks like they won by default. The press put themselves out of business.

Comment

The all-new Advertiser-printed Ka Leo made its debut this morning - color (mostly four color) on every page, very clean, smaller format. Haven't read the copy yet, but it looks great.

Comment

Beau Press Go Bye-Bye

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Looks like they won by default. The press put themselves out of business.
                    Be that as it may, it is still a working, functional press that belongs to the students, so my question is: what’s going to happen to it? In fact, Craig Gima’s story in today’s Star-Bulletin raises but fails to answer that very issue. From where I’m standing, he seems to have simplified that part of the equation so completely, a sidebar is needed.
                    to build the two-story 56,000-square-foot facility, the university also plans to tear down the four old Engineering Quad buildings, including the Beau Press building, which was built in 1915.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

You wonder where so-called reporters like Jayson Blair learn to shamelessly fabricate their "news stories" out of thin air? Well, maybe they start young.

UH paper ran 26 stories with fake sources
                      http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...2/daily39.html

Comment

Working...
                      X