Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85

Thread: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

  1. #1

    Default How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Yesterday made 20 years since I moved away from the state of Hawaii. I've only been back once for 1 week when my father died in 1999. a lot had changed from when I lived there. I plan to move back when I retire and wealthy enough to live comfortably.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by aleno
    I plan to move back when I retire and wealthy enough to live comfortably.
    I doubt we'll ever be wealthy enough to live comfortably in Hawaii but if we're gonna struggle, no better place in the world to stuggle at.

    This time, we've been away from home for 3 years and have another year to go before moving back home.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    I bet you wish the year would just fly by...LOL.
    I need to be able to buy a house and have some sort of income where I don't have to work so hard. I thought of marring some one rich but I figure that might still be hard work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    I don't live away but had to comment on Aleno's reply...yes you could marry someone rich! You don't have to be rich to live in Hawaii...you just have to be frugal. Priorities...kids first, then the pets, then the "regular" adults! We had to deplete what little savings we had while raising our kids, but they give back. And they take care of us now. Visit more often...and Lei the year will wiz by!
    Retired Senior Member

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Originally O`ahu, now Damascus, OR
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Too confunnit long! And I haven't been back. I know get plenny changes... and the 'aina is not the way it used to be when I grew up there... but still yet, the homesickness rages!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    I left the summer of '81. Went off to the East coast, attended university, and now find myself 14+ years living in Tokyo, Japan, which is closer to Honolulu than Boston, so I get back with my family 1-2 per year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    sadly 20 years I go back when I get a chance last time was about 3 years ago
    I miss it and have been trying to get my wife to move or a least visit more often

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by aleno
    Yesterday made 20 years since I moved away from the state of Hawaii. I've only been back once...
    Ho. I neva realize that you've been away for so long...
    (Eh, but you still "get 'em".)

    I went to college in one of those "rectangular" states and absolutely hated it. I eventually finished my degree at UH.
    So I give all you guys that moved to the mainland credit...
    I doubt that I could do it...

  9. #9

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Mahalo Kukui,

    It does take alot 'fo be away from Hawaii. I miss home all the time. But I get family hea now and I not goin' leave yet.

    Eh, I give you credit 'fo making the atempt. Takes alot to figua on moving.

    Aloha,
    Aleno
    PS the ones who away......Aloha to you too.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha
    I don't live away but had to comment on Aleno's reply...yes you could marry someone rich! You don't have to be rich to live in Hawaii...you just have to be frugal. Priorities...kids first, then the pets, then the "regular" adults! We had to deplete what little savings we had while raising our kids, but they give back. And they take care of us now. Visit more often...and Lei the year will wiz by!
    I just wanted to reply to what you said about marring rich. They way I want to live when I return to Hawaii.....go fishing and just be a beach bum...you know....no work.LoL..... I need somebody to support the habit....hahahahaha.

    Aloha,
    Mocha.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    10 years away from maui.ho bra way too long bra!

  12. #12

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by Meisenzahl
    I left the summer of '81. Went off to the East coast, attended university, and now find myself 14+ years living in Tokyo, Japan, which is closer to Honolulu than Boston, so I get back with my family 1-2 per year.
    Wow. I lived there for two back in the early 1970s (it was actually Yokosuka). I'd imagine it's changed as much as Hawai'i has, if not more.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Aleno: Is your son coming soon? Give him a big hug...you can take the person out of the Aloha State but you can't take the ALOHA out of the person! Have a wonderful reunion!
    Retired Senior Member

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Last message on this thread is a mistake...I don't think I meant Aleno, can't remember who was meeting his son sometime in July...after not seeing him for two or three years cuz he's in the service. Apologies to Aleno.
    Retired Senior Member

  15. #15

    Talking Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Hoo...lessee. Twelve carry da one add tree.
    Minus da time in Koolau and multiply da time me and Curtis
    wen jump dem marines in Kailua. Ok..wait.

    Divide five kakimochi wit nori and
    one free pass to Palace Theatre ...um...I
    been away too frickin' long.
    (hoo if you remember where Palace Theatre was
    you makule like me den!)

    Bruddah stay on the beeg beeg Island of America
    but I still stay "brown".
    Every year I go back and get my "Island Flavah"
    as a reminder that I am
    Hawaiian blood.
    Hawaiian born.
    Hawaiian spirit.
    Keiki o ka aina.
    Kanaka maole

    Watch out Makapu'u, bruddah Krash stay
    coming home dis summah...gonna
    get the feel of da warm waters of Hawaii nei
    leaving behind the pilau cold pacific waters
    of the West Coast.

    Did I mention a special "bonding" moment
    with a certain teriyaki plate lunch,
    two scoop rice, mac salad
    and side orda small saimin?
    "scuse...me waitress but you guys
    get day old poi?"
    Last edited by Krash Kolohe; July 11th, 2004 at 08:32 AM.
    "I was going call 911 ...but I neva know da numbah"

  16. #16

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    4 years, 3 months, 12 days...

    I might be moving to SF next year, so at least a little bit closer than NYC. Eventually I will be going back home, hopefully in the next 2-3 years. Hey, I'm a librarian, so I get no mo' kala no matter where I live...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    AuntieNellie: There is a need for SCHOOL librarians coming up...but you need a teaching certificate too. So if you have one, start searching...you may get lucky and get back to HI sooner than you think!
    Retired Senior Member

  18. #18

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha
    Last message on this thread is a mistake...I don't think I meant Aleno, can't remember who was meeting his son sometime in July...after not seeing him for two or three years cuz he's in the service. Apologies to Aleno.
    Aloha Mocha,

    I think it was meant for me. Much Mahalo for the sentiment and I hope your visit to Vallejo is good. The temp is increasing and 100 degrees expected here. Once in awhile it gets that hot near Vallejo but not to often. I hope you enjoy your time in California.
    I spent time with my 3 sons and 2 out of 3 grandsons. What a blast we had traveling.
    Oh yeah, theres a hukilau resturant in San Fran I like and if you are in the area there you ought to try it too. give me what you think.

    Alot of mahalo and throw kisses to you,
    Aleno

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Thanks for the tip Aleno...I'll check it out next time I'm in the city...and I'm glad you had a rewarding visit with all your guys!
    Retired Senior Member

  20. #20

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha
    Thanks for the tip Aleno...I'll check it out next time I'm in the city...and I'm glad you had a rewarding visit with all your guys!
    There's the Aloha fest the 7th and 8th in San Fran. I plan to take my youngest boy to that. Were you planning on going?

    Mahalo, being with my sons really put me back on track. Nothing beats family.

  21. #21

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha
    AuntieNellie: There is a need for SCHOOL librarians coming up...but you need a teaching certificate too. So if you have one, start searching...you may get lucky and get back to HI sooner than you think!
    Unfortunately I don't have a teaching cert, if I did I would probably be back home working for the DOE as a zookeeper, uh, I meant teacher... I've considered going back to school for a Master's in Education if I could do it part time.

    My focus is more college/university level, but I could work at the Hawai'i Medical Library(I've taken some medical administration classes and used to work in the billing dept. at Straub), at a law firm or the public system.

  22. #22

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by aleno
    There's the Aloha fest the 7th and 8th in San Fran. I plan to take my youngest boy to that. Were you planning on going?

    Mahalo, being with my sons really put me back on track. Nothing beats family.
    I'm planning on going to this, sounds fun.

    Does anyone know of any local style bakeries in the SF Bay area? I know get plate lunch places but I'm jonesing for guava chiffon cake, chantilly cake, malasadas, etc...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Next month will make 20 years for me! Time sure does fly!

    Lovena

  24. #24

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Aloha,

    Give a little history why you live away for so long, east coast tropics.

    What state are you in and have you been back since you left?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

    Quote Originally Posted by aleno
    Aloha,

    Give a little history why you live away for so long, east coast tropics.

    What state are you in and have you been back since you left?
    I met my husband when he was stationed on Oahu. We now live in MA!!
    Lovena

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •