Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What state are you from? This includes locals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What state are you from? This includes locals from here !

Born in Los Angeles like my father before me. Since I'm still here I guess I'm not "from" anywhere.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

As a Navy junior, we moved a lot. Seemed like every 18-24 months we packed up and left. Since it was Navy, the new places were almost always coastal cities.

I said almost because, while I was born in Oakland Ca., Dad was stationed in NV. at the time. Off to Northern Virginia, South Carolina, Puerto Rico, Connecticut, Monterey, Long Beach, Westwood (all three of those in Ca.), and then back to Northern Virginia for junior HS and HS.

College started out in Az., then Guam for a year (family moved there), back to Az., then Japan, Kwajalein, and to Hawai'i 28 years ago.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
        Honestly, Sue...surprised. Your oft-stated disdain of NY natives made me think you were a native Californian... It's a common sentiment of those from California, IME.

Unwarranted, IMHO, but common, nonetheless.
        Yikes..."your oft-stated disdain of NY natives"? Please refresh my memory. I think I've stated disdain of Hollywood and NY film industry mentalities...based on professional experience. But, NYers in general?

I was born in NYC when my dad was in the army and stationed at Ft. Monmouth, NJ during WWII. My dad was a native Californian. I moved to Calif. when I was 9 months old. I've not visited NY since. Just curious...does that qualify me as a NY native?

Comment

Born and raised in Hawaii. Now reside in Massachusetts.
          Lovena

Comment

In Order.........

California, Hawaii, California, Florida, California, Washington, Oregon, California, back to Washington.
            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Yikes..."your oft-stated disdain of NY natives"? Please refresh my memory. I think I've stated disdain of Hollywood and NY film industry mentalities...based on professional experience. But, NYers in general?

I was born in NYC when my dad was in the army and stationed at Ft. Monmouth, NJ during WWII. My dad was a native Californian. I moved to Calif. when I was 9 months old. I've not visited NY since. Just curious...does that qualify me as a NY native?

Try looking in the thread "Debating Job Offer" in the "Islands Ahoy" forum (sorry---don't know how to link posts).

Rather snarky, I thought.

Not looking to cause dissension here. I just don't care for generalizations, generally speaking.

"Typical..." I don't think you'd care for the stereotypical portrayal of a Southern Californian, either.

Comment

Huummmmm....

Pot, meet kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  Try looking in the thread "Debating Job Offer" in the "Islands Ahoy" forum (sorry---don't know how to link posts).

Rather snarky, I thought.
                  While my intent wasn't to be snarky I can certainly understand, after rereading it, how it could be perceived that way. I apologize for offending you. My experience with NYers is limited to the film industry. My bad for not including that in my reply. But..."oft stated"? Please explain.
                  Not looking to cause dissension here. I just don't care for generalizations, generally speaking.
                  I hear ya! But I think sometimes time constraints breed abbreviated replies and little proof-reading on the internet.
                  "Typical..." I don't think you'd care for the stereotypical portrayal of a Southern Californian, either.
                  In all honesty, I don't have a problem with that. Kimo used to post a lot about the Californication of Hawaii as a bad thing. I saw those as stereotyping California. It was also his opinion so I was ok with it...whether I agreed with it or not. I tend to be more offended by how a message is presented and less about what is presented. I get offended when people accuse before they inquire. And, that's not aimed at you, Windward. That's a general statement!

We stereotype a lot in the casting business. A client may request a "typical So. California girl" or a "typical midwest tourist" or a "typical Hawaiian <fill in the blank>". "Typical" comes up a lot in casting specs so it's something I'm used to and am rarely offended by. Only once did I take issue with a client when the commercial was depicting Hawaiians atypically and in a very negative light. My favorite casting spec is for the "typical, old, haole grandma" (meaning a sweet, little old lady with gray hair and wrinkled skin almost always in the 60-65 age range!) Hey! Them there's my demographics, complete with grandkids! It makes me smile as you can see by my avatar! HTH.
                  Last edited by tutusue; October 2, 2006, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Wow! This is an interesting thread.....I was born here, Wahiawa General Hosp., raised in Haleiwa/Sunset Beach/Waialua....spent time in S.E. Portland (Clackamas County at the base of Mt. Hood) and now reside here on Oahu....

Speaking of ancestors....Mom's dad's side came from a whaler from Connecticut who jumped ship while on Maui, married a Maui maiden and put roots down in Hawaii. Mom's mom side came from a chief - Maweke (Tahiti Nui) who settled in East Maui....we descend from the Joseph line of this chief....Dad's dad side was from Ilocos Norte (same area as Ferdinand Marcos......

Just sharing....

Comment

washington state

[moved here to hawaii in '02 from southern california where i was NOT too keen after having lived abroad for maybe too long. at least long enough to develop ideals and a demeanor NOT in sync with a lot of my san diego neighbors. hawaii felt like "home" immediately. home sweet home.]
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

I am from O'ahu, Hawai'i! born and raised.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

born in philly, family moved here when i was 11 months old...
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

me....Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
                              In Order.........

California, Hawaii, California, Florida, California, Washington, Oregon, California, back to Washington.
                              I'm tied with you:

Iowa, Nevada, San Diego CA, Iowa, Oakland CA, Hawaii, San Francisoc CA, Orange County CA, Hawaii.

I've lived on O`ahu a total of 27 years now.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

My turn! Born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, college in Champaign, IL, then Pensacola, FL, Kingsville, TX, Corpus Christi, TX, San Diego, CA, Sunnyvale, CA, Ewa Beach, HI, Honolulu, HI, Corpus Christi, TX, Honolulu and finally Kaneohe, HI.

Comment

Working...
                                X