The Skinny on Skinny Jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skinny on Skinny Jeans

So apparently the current trend in fashion is toward leggings, oversize tops, ankle boots, and skinny jeans--but most attention seems to be focused on the jeans, formerly known as tapered and now renamed skinny jeans.

Women: Will you (do you already) own a pair? Do you think it's a look best left in the 80s? Do you feel you (or anybody) can pull this off and have it look flattering?

Men: Do you think the average woman can pull off these jeans (no, not literally, you know what I mean!!!)? Or do you think it's a look only flattering on models and super skinny women?

Article/pics of skinny jean celebs:

http://showbiz.sky.com/showbiz/artic...209756,00.html
    Last edited by AbsolutChaos; October 4, 2006, 08:56 AM.

Re: The Skinny on Skinny Jeans

And to answer my own question, my original reaction to skinny jeans was to recoil in horror. I like 80s music, but I was relieved to leave 80s fashion behind. I don't think skinny jeans look flattering on most women, other than MAYBE the tall super-skinny with long legs.

After mulling it over some more, though, now I'm seeing it as more of a challenge--trying to find a way to wear the stilly things and still look good in them. Magazines CLAIM that skinny jeans can flatter anyone, depending on whether you get cropped ones or longer ones or at least go for skinny straight leg instead of skinny tapered and get them in a dark color and pair them with super high heels/wedges. They are all over the stores these days. I might have to spend some time trying on various brands and cuts of skinny jeans to see if my original recoil of horror was the right reaction or mistaken.

Comment

I have em! I like em!
      I think if they are done tastefully and with the right top any size gal can pull it off. If men liked them in the 80's with big shirts then why not now. It's not the clothes they are looking for anyways!
      I like the retro look!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Speaking of recoiling in horror...here's a reason for you: a tutu's take on the subject!

I wish all this fashion nonsense would stop and everyone would dress in a style that makes them feel good. If it looks like ca-ca to others...so what! If you feel good about the way you look...which includes what you're wearing...then go for it. Mirrors have a purpose. If one likes what they see in the mirror then whatever they're wearing is right for them! AC...I can't imagine you NOT looking good in skinny jeans! Really. But, my opinion doesn't matter. The question is...how do you feel in them?

Do I like to see thong bikinis on overweight women? No! But...that's my problem. If women enjoy wearing them and are comfortable in their own skin then, so be it.

I commit as many if not more fashion faux pas' as just about anyone. I'm into comfort! In my business I see what's 'current', 'fashionable' with the younger adult women. I love today's younger fashions and have only a wisp of a memory of the time I could've worn them!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled soap box!

Comment

I would have never thought of wearing a bikini top and shorts but I have seen some stunning larger women in them and they looked drooling!! wonderful! They must feel great! Kudos to them!

Comment

I remember one popular womens "skinny jeans" style in the 80's was that one that had the zipper which started from the front and went all the way back up the rear end side, essentially splitting the jeans in half. HOT!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Skinny jeans...I cringed when I first saw the billboards...but to each their own...I know they are not for me anymore as in past 20 years my body has adjusted from it's formerly skinny self...ahem

Whoever feels comfortable enough to wear them though-rock on!
              I have never been one to wear what everyone else was wearing or build my whole wardrobe around what the "it" people say we should have in it-I wear what I like.
              I just happen to subscribe to the school of just because it's in your size does not mean you should wear it for instance, I would like the "muffintop" trend to fade away quickly but it seems to be here to stay...
              Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Jeans look good on all women, in all their shapes and sizes (the womens' and the jeans'). And those jeans that zipped all the way around? Yes. Hot, hot, hot.

I love to see jeans that are tight around a woman's waist so that she's got a little bit (or even more than a little bit) of overhang at the waistline. Love that little bit of flesh there...
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well,

I have no problem with skinny jeans, the real problem I have is the floodgates it will open up for all the other bad 80's stuff that will inevitably follow. Like Big, stupid hair, and bigger, stupider music. I have a history of both, it was ugly, lemme tell ya, and have no desire to revisit that horrendous decade.

Then again, I DO like alot of movies from that decade, but the ugly hair, and pastel colors, and overall excess of EVERYTHING is just bad.

It's inevitable I know, but I don't have to like it.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Yes but it opens up PINK land!! 80's loved pink! hehehe
                    I already bought my boys the pink collared shirt. They love it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Speaking of recoiling in horror...here's a reason for you: a tutu's take on the subject!

I wish all this fashion nonsense would stop and everyone would dress in a style that makes them feel good. If it looks like ca-ca to others...so what! If you feel good about the way you look...which includes what you're wearing...then go for it. Mirrors have a purpose. If one likes what they see in the mirror then whatever they're wearing is right for them! rolleyes:
                      This is interesting to read, Tutusue, especially from someone in the "industry" of beauty. I hear ya, but something is fueling those "MAKEOVER" shows for me, my friend, my mom, my sister, my neighbor...

Yeah, wear what's comfortable, but don't get stuck in a time warp! People need to be shown that they can look good in something other than polo shirts and khaki shorts. I love seeing the transitions.

I so know that I'm not a beauty, and I'm at peace with that. I love seeing people get their hair and faces fixed up. My hair is naturally curly and has a mind of its own, so it's kinda hard to make it do other things. And with half my face paralyzed thanks to Bell's Palsy (three times!), I have learned to accept who's in the mirror. And besides, I've got a personality and a heart to compensate all that!

Back to skinny jeans. I'm doing more working out and lost 40 pounds since the beginning of the year (but need to get back to it because I think I've gained about 8 back!)... I love low-rise bootcut jeans. I think they look great on me. I sure don't want to wear jeans that sit at the waist (lots of that overlap that Scrivener likes!)...so are there low-rise skinny jeans? I might be able to pull it off if they have a 1- to 3-percent lycra/spandex component. I've got these calves, you see...
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        I remember one popular womens "skinny jeans" style in the 80's was that one that had the zipper which started from the front and went all the way back up the rear end side, essentially splitting the jeans in half. HOT!
                        I remember those, always wondered when the zipper snagged if it hurt like hell down there.

At least today's jeans have more latex in them and they don't require the kind of wriggling on the floor like the 80's.

I wonder when the mini skirt will come back and those dove shorts that we talked about on another thread.

But the 80's saw pink polo shirts and sockless shoes (Miami Vice) and am glad that combination went away for men.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          This is interesting to read, Tutusue, especially from someone in the "industry" of beauty. I hear ya, but something is fueling those "MAKEOVER" shows for me, my friend, my mom, my sister, my neighbor...

Yeah, wear what's comfortable, but don't get stuck in a time warp![...] And besides, I've got a personality and a heart to compensate all that! [...]
                          Good for you, Lavagal. You accept who you see in the mirror which is exactly the point I was trying to make! Must admit tho', that I see a different lavagal than lavagal sees!!!

If you like the fashion transitions and enjoy partaking in them...yay!!! I'm all for people finding what works for them. That may mean changing with the trends or it could mean a style unto one's own! I've just never been a fan of the fashion industry dictating what we should wear, where our hems should be, the "in" colors, shoe styles whether they kill our feet or not, etc., yada!

BTW...I'm not really in the industry of beauty. Commercials, esp. local commercials, look for all types of people...rarely models...which is one of the many reasons I confine myself to commercials. The projects I love the most involve casting character looks and if the script is of a comedic nature, I'm in heaven. Rarely do I cast for models.

I love those make-over shows, too. Well, most. Thought 'The Swan' was horrific so didn't see but a couple of shows. That show tried to turn 'ugly ducklings' into models. I like the ones that don't involve plastic surgery unless there's a deformity or other medical reason. Looking like a model is not reason enough, afaic. Wanting to look ones best is fine.

But, back on topic. I wear jeans but doubt I'll buy a pair of the skinny kind! I don't like how I look in them. Now, where is that new, knee length muu muu I just bought?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

I wonder when the mini skirt will come back
                            They ARE back, along with skinny jeans. They are supposed to be paired with the black leggings and either ballet flats or high heels.

Don't get me started on the trend of horizontal stripes, ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              Back to skinny jeans. I'm doing more working out and lost 40 pounds since the beginning of the year (but need to get back to it because I think I've gained about 8 back!)... I love low-rise bootcut jeans. I think they look great on me. I sure don't want to wear jeans that sit at the waist (lots of that overlap that Scrivener likes!)...so are there low-rise skinny jeans? I might be able to pull it off if they have a 1- to 3-percent lycra/spandex component. I've got these calves, you see...
                              Congrats on the weight you've lost. I admire you for your will power.

There are low-rise skinny jeans. I noticed today that Old Navy was carrying them, so I'm assuming other places are as well. The JLo brand over at Sears is low rise skinny too.

Comment

Working...
                              X