Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tower Records is getting liquidated

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Sadly, a lot of us "real music fans" moved on long ago, and Tower did not keep pace with us. But I've found some of the most helpful and knowledgeable employees at Tower stores around the world; I don't care so much about the failed corporation, but I hope those people land on their feet before too long.
    That "failed corporation" was once a few hippies from San Francisco with a great idea for a record store. Not ALL corporations are evil and deserve failure. No disrespect, but I don't think they were an evil corporation of chain stores. They were a store for real music fans. I will surely miss the heyday of Tower Records.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      That "failed corporation" was once a few hippies from San Francisco with a great idea for a record store. Not ALL corporations are evil and deserve failure. No disrespect, but I don't think they were an evil corporation of chain stores. They were a store for real music fans. I will surely miss the heyday of Tower Records.
      Make no mistake, for nearly twenty years, Tower was my primary and preferred source for buying CDs, hundreds over the course of each year. But once Russ Solomon and his family became minority owners as a result of their previous bankruptcy filing a couple years ago, and majority ownership of the chain was in the hands of their creditors (primarily the record companies themselves), any semblance of the chain's remaining heart was in the talented employees.

Comment

I stopped by Tower Keeaumoku yesterday. CDs are 15% off with some sections such as Oldies and Reggae discounted 20%. I bought a CD box set of oldies for 20% off yesterday. Hopefully the discounts will go deeper as the days or weeks push on.

The vultures should start checking this place more often.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One employee told me the liquidation is expected to be a six-week process.

Comment

Good to know, and I appreciate the updates from those able to pop in now and then. Liquidations like this are strange beasts, and there'll basically come a tipping point where the discount is enough to start a feeding frenzy... At that point, you're going to want to time your descent into the madness well, lest you only have Yanni and the soundtrack to "Battlefield Earth" to choose from. The end may technically be six weeks away, but the real deals may ripen somewhere short of that.

Comment

Yeah, this is becoming a fun gamble. I went yesterday to the Kahala Mall branch, and saw the 15-20% signs. Still not high enough. A lot of the CDs I want are the $18.99 (!) ones. Plus I've been wanting to get the Fawlty Towers DVD pack which is almost $60.

I'm waiting for the real fire sale to start before I go in and buy.

Guess that means stopping by everyday...

Comment

Which store has a better selection? We were discussing the fact that Kahala has better vinyl, but the Keeaumoku store is within walking distance... I resisted temptation today and continued past KFC without turning. Probably will miss a lot of good stuff, but I already blew too much credit in yesterday's shopping spree.
                Last edited by lilin; October 13, 2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Went to Pearl Kai today. Da Buggah was closed until further notice because of inventory.

Comment

I just called Pearl Kai and they are open. They said their inventory was temporary and short.

Do they still have a lot of books and trade paperbacks?
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I have yet to step foot into a Towers in my neck of the woods but I have seen signs and banners that they are closing....
                      I just read an article via Yahoo an article titled "Fans Mourn The Loss of Tower Records".........
                      Like I mentioned in my earlier post saying yeah, sad to see them fold but there are other music shops that sells CD's, DVD's are still goin. Just gotta find out WHO other than the Walmarts, Best Buys and Circuit Citys. Here in SF thee one place is goin strong is Amoeba which is in the Haight Ashbury district. When I am ever in the mood to go there I spend lyke 3+ hours there. Reminds of the good ol daze of Jellys when it was owned by Norm back in Ala Moana when it was on the Sears end.

Comment

I liked the old Jellys' store at 404 Piikoi (across from Sears Ala Moana) back in the day. You'll be happy to know Jellys' is still in existence but in Aiea only, in a wharehouse like building behind the Cutter Ford dealership. I think Norm Winter still owns and operates it and they still have tons of CDs, DVDs, vinyl records, tapes, books, comics and games for sale... many used copies too. A fun place to browse and shop when I have time to drive out there.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Shen I was in Washington there was this place called Cellophane Square.

You could actually buy and sell used Cassette tapes there back in the early 80's!

I remember they had the $.05 Cassettes at the time...ones that they either had a surplus of or ones that wouldn't sell.... I probably had over 500 cassette tapes that I bought for less than $1.00!!! Before I switched over to CD's.

Now with this Digital Revolution... taking all the CD's we have acquired and dumping them onto our hard drive...(and storing the CD's in a closet as back up)

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                            Plus I've been wanting to get the Fawlty Towers DVD pack which is almost $60.
                            Dude! I SOOOO have to buy that Fawlty Towers collection! It's yet another bit of comic history with which I have "polluted" my children -- and it's definitely a family fave.

Please let me know when the price comes down (e-mail/call) -- I'm so rarely in town and there's no Tower on the WW side.

There are lots of good deals on used CDs DVDs etc. at Hungry Ear in Kailua, too. They also sell new stuff ... but I usually go for the used stuff and have never had a bad experience with any purchase I made there. I love that shop. It was a mom and pop ... until "pop" died.
                            His widow, her dad and her daughter still run the place though.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I went to the Ala Moana location, and I got four CDs for $60, which isn't a bad deal at all.

(of course, I only buy albums when there's closeouts like this, but its still fun).
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

How is $15 a CD a deal? I want $7 or less!

I was hoping the discounts would climb a bit faster...
                                Last edited by pzarquon; October 17, 2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X