Tower Records is getting liquidated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tower Records is getting liquidated

Not to go off topic but anyone rememba DJ'S Sound City?!?
    I DO! Did they get bought out? Quietly went outta bizness or?!?!?

Comment

I ventured to the Ala Moana location today as well. Prices still aren't low enough yet. Although my mental list of CDs and DVDs is growing...

Perhaps more toward the end of the month?

Comment

it's funny. i saw the title of this thread a long time ago but didn't read it cuz i thought it was just about tower records; i only realized today that it also applies to tower video cuz i called to ask about a rental and the woman said, "eh, we not renting noting!"

so i went down to see if there were any dvd deals and i have to say that although the rental dvds are 50% off, i didn't see a single title that i wanted to buy. 50% of a used dvd that sells for $29 is $14.50 and i'm pretty sure i can get it new for that price or maybe a little more; plus, i'll know that it hasn't been abused by a hundred people before me.

i do regret the end of tower video cuz they're fairly close to me and their wed/thurs specials (new rentals for $1.50) was pretty good. diamond head video (kapahulu) used to be my favorite place but their new location has the worst parking lot!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
          I ventured to the Ala Moana location today as well. Prices still aren't low enough yet. Although my mental list of CDs and DVDs is growing...

Perhaps more toward the end of the month?
          It probably will go like the J.C. Penney liquidation, it sped up toward the end.

Comment

Any reports on the current rate of discount?
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              diamond head video (kapahulu) used to be my favorite place but their new location has the worst parking lot!
              no kidding. what were they thinking when they chose that spot?

Comment

Basic discount is down to 20 percent, some as high as 40 percent. Still seems like there's a long way to go, but they've stopped taking Discover, JCB, and checks, and of course there are no returns or exchanges.

Picked up a Sixpence None The Richer album, since 20 percent off $11 was actually less than iTunes, finally.

Scavenger shopping does draw a crowd, though. I think there were more people inside the Pearl Kai store in the 30 minutes we were there than there were on an average day before the company gave up the ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  no kidding. what were they thinking when they chose that spot?
                  It's not far from their old location and I think it's meant to be temporary, just until they get to move back into new digs at the old site. At least, that was my understanding.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I went to check the status of Tower Records Keeaumoku Street tonight. Like the Pearl City store, this one is also offering 20% discounts on all regularly priced CDs and DVDs.

Some observations:

1. Retail prices on some CDs that normally sold for $6.99 have climbed to $8.99. This is before the discount is applied.

2. Many older CDs have a $9.99 retail which at 20% off sell for $7.99.

3. All of the current hit CDs are in the $14.99 to $18.99 price range. The 20% discounts don't get Big Box or online prices. Waiting for 35 to 45% off.

4. Despite the shallow discounts some artists are beginning to sell out. In the oldies section, all of the CDs by The Rascals are gone. All of the Fleetwood Mac CDs with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks as part of the band are gone. That means Fleetwood Mac CDs newer than 1975. Several of the older ones before Buckingham-Nicks are still available.

5. The Paul McCartney "At My Best" CD which have for years been selling at $10.99 have been jacked up to $18.99, before discount. Good thing I bought this years ago.

6. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" is selling for $21.99. I previously saw this for $17.99 at Tower a few months ago. I bought it from Amazon.com for $11.99 the first week it was out. Go figure.

7. Lastly most startling is the fact that a great majority of the Hawaiian Music section is sold out. I would say a little more than 2/3 of the inventory is gone. Presumeably a lot of tourists have probably stopped by and snapped up a lot of Hawaiian and Island music titles. See photo below.

For more photos go to these links:

Mel's Flickr Photos - Tower Records Closing | Mel's BuzzNet Photos

I think people should start checking Tower more often in the coming week in hopes of snagging deeper discounted items. I have yet to visit Tower Video.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I recognize the Na Leo CD still in the rack in your photo, Mel - what's the other one, Beamer Brothers?

Maybe someone will want to go make offers on the big posters on the wall; I saw Amy, Keali`i, IZ, the slack key Grammy winner, etc., in your other photos.

Comment

Heard from an employee at Kahala Mall Tower that the stores are slated to close in December. Of course, if everything sells before that, then the store will close earlier...

No word on discounts, though.

I would suspect that this is as good as it's going to get, for a while anyway.

A lot of the videos are moving fast, since the discount is good - on products that can't otherwise be found elsewhere.

I may revise my strategy given this new information. I'm thinking now to go ahead and get my videos, since what I want probably won't be there soon.

I'll hold off on music since the discounts pretty much just bring outrageous prices to mere decency.

Comment

The Keeaumoku store had a bargin bin with colored stickers... blue was 75% off, green 50% off and tan was the price of the sticker.

Spent time browsing and saw some good titles. Be careful at the register. One of my green stickers didn't get the discount and the clerk was adamant that the computer had taken off the 50%. Finally the manager came out and it was sorted out. I'm not sure about the no-return policy, but would Towers have honored the lower price if I came back tomorrow?

Comment

I bought a couple things today:

Madness - Ultimate Collection
                            They Might Be Giants - A User's Guide to
                            Erasure - The Tank, The Swan and The Balloon (DVD)

I had a couple other things that can be waited on:
                            UB40
                            Kotch
                            Cut Chemist
                            Howard Jones
                            Thievery Corporation

I'm trying to buy some fun stuff my son can enjoy dancing to.
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Today CDs at Tower are 25% off regular prices which in some cases bring them close or slightly below their regularly advertised sale prices of the past. Dance CDs I think were 30% off, as are music videos.

I ended up buying 3 CDs that normally retail for $9.99. They came out at $7.50 each. Titles included Cher's Greatest Hits, a Bad Company CD and Toto's first album.

Several shelving areas are beginning to go bare at the Keeaumoku St. store. There are still some Hawaiian music CDs, but most seem to be low profile, lesser known titles. Many music videos seem to have sold out, as are sections in the jazz area and oldies.

The vulture death watch continues.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Happy with the 30% discount on the video side. Finally got around to buying the Seinfeld box sets I had been putting off. Saved almost 20 bucks total on two of the sets.

Comment

Working...
                                X