HD Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Radio

OK, I hear the ads on KSSK. Who else? When? And where can you buy one at a reasonable price? (I don't think $300 is reasonable.)

Re: HD Radio

I agree with you, $300 is not reasonable...but it's also not reasonable to expect anyone to spend $300 for an HD radio when there's nothing on the HD band to listen to....at least not yet. The point of the ads is to raise awareness of HD, and Clear Channel's HD signals will be on the air in 2007. By then (hopefully) more receivers will find their way into the market and prices will come down.

Comment

Here are a few links to HD radio information that I found.

Anyone with a computer and high speed connection can listen to Clear Channel's line-up of current HD stations on the mainland at this link:

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio/index.html

Right now I am listening to WGAR Classic Country in Cleveland, OH. It seems Clear Channel is rolling out HD to all of their markets. They already have several markets covered just going by the list.

The stream I am getting is at 32kps and I have to say it is very clear coming into my computer. I don't think I will be running out to buy a $300 HD radio anytime soon.

Crutchfield mail order catalog with some HD info:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3jOlZiTiFTj/hdradio/

Clear Channel is pushing the Boston Acoustics HD Radio at one of their websites. That is the home unit selling for $300. Crutchfield has the same radio with for $250 with a $50 rebate. Here is the page:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3jOlZiT...earch=HD+Radio

I think the magic number for anyone to buy these sets and others will be at $100 or below.. or better yet, $50 and lower. This is almost like a chicken vs. egg scenario. Radio stations build out the system but if no one has a set who will listen? The sets have to be cheaper. Thankfully some stations also stream the content online, and perhaps most are just simulcasting the analog signal.

The thing that is attractive about HD radio for me is no additional fees like how it is for XM or Sirius Satellite radio. That I would never buy. Radio is supposed to be "free". Let the advertisers pay for it.

Questions:

Is DRM passed along with the digital signal?

Do sets come with analog or digital output jacks for connection to present stereo gear and computers?

More links:

Discover HD Radio: http://www.hdradio.com/index.php
      Ibiquity Digital HD Radio: http://www.ibiquity.com/hd_radio
      HD Radio Article @ Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-Radio
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        I think the magic number for anyone to buy these sets and others will be at $100 or below.. or better yet, $50 and lower. This is almost like a chicken vs. egg scenario. Radio stations build out the system but if no one has a set who will listen?
        Exactly.

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check on them.

Edit: Funny, I always thought AM had 10KHz of audio bandwith, but that everyone assumes it's only 5KHz due to channel spacing.
        Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 21, 2006, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I hear ads on hot939 via the internet radio. With the way their pushing it, I thought HD radio came to Hawaii.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Okay, listening to CC stations with commercials about HD radio is getting irritating, but its also getting me interested.

So, this is supposed to be like satellite radio w/out the fees? Is there differences between this and satellite radio? And finally, is this only a CC thing, or will other radio companies get into this?

And hopefully there'll be a satellite radio + HD radio car stereos if they'll come to Hawaii.

Comment

More then you wanted to know: Wikipedia

"It offers multiple programs on one channel and works on the same frequencies allocated to analog (FM and AM) radio stations. Supporters claim CD quality sound and reduced interference. Although the acronym HD has come to mean "high-definition" in reference to HDTV, the "HD" in HD Radio indicates Hybrid Digital, transmitting analog and digital signals simultaneously on the same frequency."

So it's really more of the local broadcast stations going digital. If you like to pull in distant stations, this can be bad news since it widens the signal. But for the average about town listeners, it gives more choices.

I think prices on the HD receivers will have to drop before they'll be out there in significant numbers.

Comment

Yes, for sure prices on HD radios have to come down before I buy into it. I would rather get HD radio vs. Satellite since the cost will be only one time for the set and not subject the end user to recurring monthly fees.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Yes, for sure prices on HD radios have to come down before I buy into it. I would rather get HD radio vs. Satellite since the cost will be only one time for the set and not subject the end user to recurring monthly fees.
                  At Home Depot in the break rooms we have HDTV...Home Depot TV. Boring as hell, I don't know why anyone would want to see training aids on selling a Dewalt belt sander to the customers
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                    I agree with you, $300 is not reasonable...but it's also not reasonable to expect anyone to spend $300 for an HD radio when there's nothing on the HD band to listen to....at least not yet. The point of the ads is to raise awareness of HD, and Clear Channel's HD signals will be on the air in 2007. By then (hopefully) more receivers will find their way into the market and prices will come down.

Paul W...hmmm name looks soooo familiar, like do you have a corner office with these funky office chairs?

Comment

I've written about HD radio a couple times ... for those of you who didn't see the columns:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/19/business/engle.html

... and ...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/18/business/engle.html

You can also check out the industry organization, the HD Radio Alliance at this URL -- audio comes on automatically, FYI:

http://www.hdradio.com/index.php

I've seen in the industry trades that mfrs of HD radios are offering to sell receivers to stations at a super-cheap price, for promotions. Betcha the high-paying ad clients get 'em first.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                        I've seen in the industry trades that mfrs of HD radios are offering to sell receivers to stations at a super-cheap price, for promotions. Betcha the high-paying ad clients get 'em first.
                        If Clear Channel wants to get a leg up on this, then they should give the sets away in some kind of promotion across all of their stations.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

HD-FM is a great medium..HD-AM is a nightmare which can only be used during the day and when in use causes interference (but legal interference) 10 to 20 khz on either side of any station that broadcasts with it. For example if a station at 1320 was to use it there would be noticable noise at 1310 and 1330 and closer to the transmitter location at 1300 and 1340. In major mainland cities where there are numbers of HD-AM otherwise known as IBOC (In Band on Channel) AM stations in operation it is impossible to receive nearby on the dial suburban or next city stations that were previously quite listenable...In a real life example in Detroit much of the AM band is now a local only situation because with so many stations separated by the minimum 40 kilohertz separation there is nothing but the sound of IBOC hash in between. On Oahu there are not that many stations to where the minimum spacing between stations comes into play but if 1420, 1460, 1500, and 1540 all were to broadcasting in IBOC the hash noise would extend depending upon one's location from 1400 to 1560 except when one was listening to one of those stations. If there were stations at 1400,1440,1480,1520, or 1560 that had been receivable with IBOC it would be anywhere from difficult to impossible to be able to comfortably listen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by erika's column
                            KSSK-FM 92.3, which plays adult contemporary music, will add a mainstream country format; KIKI-FM 93.9, which plays urban hits, will add electronica; island music KDNN-FM 98.5 will stream the news and talk programming from sister-station KHVH-AM 830; and KUCD-FM 101.9, an alternative rock station, will add smooth jazz programming.
                            I don't like those choices. Hopefully other stations will pop up soon, or else I'll be listening to MP3s.

Also, later in the article, it mentioned that HD radio will be commercial free for the first 18 months. Lucky its free, or else I'd be wasting money.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                              I don't like those choices. Hopefully other stations will pop up soon, or else I'll be listening to MP3s.

Also, later in the article, it mentioned that HD radio will be commercial free for the first 18 months. Lucky its free, or else I'd be wasting money.
                              KHVH is already taking their news feeds from KSSK.

Comment

Working...
                              X