Favorite Quotes - Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Quotes - Chapter 2

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you have to set yourself on fire."

--Written on a restroom stall wall, somewhere in Iowa.
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Good one, Zovo! And I like your signature, too; it's another great quote. In case you change it down the line and future readers wonder, this is it:
      "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool, because he has to say something." --Plato

Welcome to HT!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.”
        Albert Einstein

Comment

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so - Shakespeare

A painting of a rice cake does not satisfy hunger - Ancient Saying
          This is a good one to use when people ask you to work on "spec"
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Money is a good servant, but a terrible master.

Comment

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Comment

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Comment

There were a bunch of good quotes in David Shapiro's column in the Advertiser today, including these (I especially like the last two):

"Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them." — Dick Van Dyke

"Someone sent me a postcard picture of the Earth. On the back it said, 'Wish you were here.'" — Steven Wright

"I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican." — Dan Quayle

"I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat!" — Will Rogers

"When I was a boy, the Dead Sea was only sick." — George Burns

"There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together." — Josh Billings

"The reason there are so few female politicians is that it is too much trouble to put makeup on two faces." — Maureen Murphy

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true." — Yogi Berra

"Think what a better world it would be if we all had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap." — Barbara Jordan

"Every speaker has a mouth, an arrangement rather neat. Sometimes it's filled with wisdom, sometimes it's filled with feet." — Robert Orben

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test." — George W. Bush

"I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally." — W. C. Fields

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law." — David Dinkins

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." — Dean Martin

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." — Joe Theismann

Comment

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to nail yer gizzards to the mast, you poxy cur!

~Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I do think CB replaced those tasty morsels (JD and the whatshiswhelp) as my favorite character, based on his great performance and lines in this movie.

pax

Comment

• Re: Favorite Quotes - Chapter 2

Some books should be tasted, others devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.

Inkheart ~ Cornelia Funke
                      Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

Landing a helicopter aboard a moving ship at sea reminded him of two porcupines making love. It wasn't lack of willingness; it was just that you couldn't afford any mistakes.
                        -- Tom Clancy, "Debt Of Honor"

Comment

I saw a special documentary on the Sydney to Hobart ocean sailing race from 1998.
                          Incredible disaster and the rescuers risked their lives to save those they could.
                          Real chickenskin stuff. Here's a short youtube...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kANZzRr93YI
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When blondes have more fun... do they know it?
                            - Tom Leweck

Comment

A flashlight is a container for holding dead batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                A flashlight is a container for holding dead batteries.
                                Which reminds me of a signature line I've seen elsewhere:

The dead batteries were handed out free of charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X