Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

Christ on a cracker, Manoa. A rental agreement is a transaction.

I don't care if you believea federal government website, or a Craigslist page. Federal law prohibits discrimination in this case. Hell, even the Advertiser article notes his plan is legally problematic.

You can argue whether you think fair housing laws are fair, but they are the law, and just because you own a property does not mean you can decide to rent only to Hawaiians, old people, women, whatever. Period.

This is what I get for responding to your post. Further affirmation of why the world is a better place without them.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      Christ on a cracker, Manoa. A rental agreement is a transaction.
      I know that a Rental Agreement is a transaction. However, a Real Estate Transaction and a "rental agreement" are two seperate things...

If he, himself, chooses to do the rental agreements between him and some Hawaiians....what he does is his business and no others...!

For that matter... he doesn't even need to advertise... he could hand pick! Seems to be his methodology on other things in life.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        I know that a Rental Agreement is a transaction. However, a Real Estate Transaction and a "rental agreement" are two seperate things...

If he, himself, chooses to do the rental agreements between him and some Hawaiians....what he does is his business and no others...!

For that matter... he doesn't even need to advertise... he could hand pick! Seems to be his methodology on other things in life.
        A "rental agreement" is a contract that states the terms of a "real estate transaction" (usually the temporary possession of real property) between a landlord and a tenant. Rental agreements are regulated by both state and Federal law.

There are ways for Kawamoto to get around "fair housing" laws in order to put kanaka maoli in his houses and his legal advisors should be able to figure it out.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
          A "rental agreement" is a contract that states the terms of a "real estate transaction" (usually the temporary possession of real property) between a landlord and a tenant. Rental agreements are regulated by both state and Federal law.

There are ways for Kawamoto to get around "fair housing" laws in order to put kanaka maoli in his houses and his legal advisors should be able to figure it out.
          Thank you for your clarification Jonah... You should know... and I think you know where I was going with this... As a lawyer as well as your knowledge about real esate I will accept your answer....now just let me let me in on the secret

PM me if need be.... heck my wife half Hawaiian.... I like get one of these kahala houses for 200 a month.... my savings alone I'm sure I could fix em up to my standards.... as a renter
          Last edited by damontucker; October 10, 2006, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Well I think he can. I know when I rented a property out... I specifically didn't want College kids living in it.... My mom owned the property and we got to screen who we did and didn't want living at our property.[...]
            Manoa...you can screen but you can't discriminate. Among other things, you can screen for the ability to pay the rent and for previous rental history. You can choose to not accept pets. You cannot discriminate for the reasons set forth by the government.

If it's a hot rental market, like the current one, chances are you'll have more than one applicant, therefore more than one choice of tenant(s). You can select the applicant who you feel will be best for the property. That's not discriminating against any of the criteria set forth by the state and federal governments. However, you will know whether or not you selected based on the government's criteria. When I was a landlord renting out my own properties I had to abide by the laws. If Kawamoto goes thru with his plan he'll have beaucoup applicants of all ethnicities. He can select from those applicants via screening but not discrimination. If he happens to select tenants who he feels have an ability to pay and he's happy with their previous rental history and they just happen to be kanaka maoli...then so be it! Nuthin' wrong with that...except he's already made his wishes known. Must admit I was surprised that his ethnic choice went public because the law states he cannot discriminate based on ethnicity.

Another issue is property management. Kawamoto is only a part time resident. He must have a property manager when he's not here. The law of averages dictates that there will be vacancies and rentals going on when he's in Japan. The property management company will need to handle those situations.

Jonah...if what I'm remembering about the law is now outdated or wrong please chime in.
            [...]When My mom and I sold our house ... show us the money.... we could care less if was a bunch of college party kids.... just show us the money.
            Well, of course! Once sold a seller, unlike a landlord, no longer has a financial or emotional interest in the property. At the risk of redundancy, when you sell a property you still can't discriminate.

Comment

tutusue... you hit it on the head...

at $200.00 per month in the area that he has chosen... he will get plenty of applicants and he can choose amongst those as he chooses...

(manoa putting his name down now)

Comment

deleted..as soon as i could

Comment

tutusue... you hit it on the head... at $200.00 per month in the area that he has chosen... he will get plenty of applicants and he can choose amongst those as he chooses...
                  that’s not what tutusue said at all. but obviously, this is what you want to believe. so keep dreaming in your little fantasy world, mānoa.

the bottom line is if kawamoto goes through with his little scheme as it currently stands, he’ll get sued up the yin-yang, and probably lose. then guess what? all those kanaka maoli he hoodwinked into thinking they could get cheap rent will be out on the street when he’s forced to sell their homes to pay off the lawsuit.

i guess everything is a joke to you. please find some better material.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Maybe Kawamoto can use whatever loophole the Hawaiian Homelands is using to give homes to Hawaiian descendants only.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                      Maybe Kawamoto can use whatever loophole the Hawaiian Homelands is using to give homes to Hawaiian descendants only.
                      That's a possibility. I'm a little surprised that none of Kawamoto's Hawai'i properties have been placed in a trust.
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

More fallout from Kawamoto's offer. And the Star Bulletin's report on the offer.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; October 11, 2006, 07:55 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Race based decision making is okay in Hawaii. Ask Kamehameha Schools. Ask OHA. Ask DHHL.

If you are the proper color, or have the proper lineage, in Hawaii, then you can ask for, and get, preferential treatment based on race.

I am going to start a White School. Then I am going to set aside some land for White Folk to live on. Afterall the heritage of the White People is clearly more important than any other heritage. In fact, since White People have been villified, and put down, for the last 40 years, it seems only fair that we should have our own land, values, systems, and laws, separate from anybody else. And we must preserve White Culture, which is dying right before our eyes. And we want all this land and benefits for FREE, cuz we don't want to work and earn our way through this life. That's just too much to ask. After all, we are White People, and that is why we are special.

People who see skin tone as a color are ignorant of humanity.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            that’s not what tutusue said at all. but obviously, this is what you want to believe. so keep dreaming in your little fantasy world, mānoa.
                            So what did she say TuNnL??? I like see you put words in her mouth! I tried that once People can read what other people write how they want...so what did you read into what she wrote?
                            the bottom line is if kawamoto goes through with his little scheme as it currently stands, he’ll get sued up the yin-yang, and probably lose. then guess what? all those kanaka maoli he hoodwinked into thinking they could get cheap rent will be out on the street when he’s forced to sell their homes to pay off the lawsuit.
                            I don't think he cares whether he gets sued or not! It's his game... if he wants to play it... he can.
                            i guess everything is a joke to you. please find some better material.
                            Better Material??? What would you suggest? Maybe writing up something about how Student Housing makes decisions about hiring certain positions based on being white? And then what?

Comment

He could just turn them into hawaiian homesteads

Comment

So what did she say TuNnL???
                                *sigh* Amazing how I am the one who always has to explain these things to you. Here is what tutusue said:
                                Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Manoa...you can screen but you can't discriminate ... If Kawamoto goes thru with his plan he'll have beaucoup applicants of all ethnicities. He can select from those applicants via screening but not discrimination ... Must admit I was surprised that his ethnic choice went public because the law states he cannot discriminate based on ethnicity.
                                Wow she said it three times! What part of ‘no’ don’t you understand?
                                People can read what other people write how they want.
                                Which is exactly what you keep doing, Mānoa. You may want to think about living sober for a few, and see if it changes your perspective.
                                I don't think he cares whether he gets sued or not! It's his game... if he wants to play it... he can.
                                That was my point, mānoa. It’s all a game to this eccentric tycoon. If he really wanted to help native Hawaiians, he would sell the property to DHHL.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X