"Dexter" on Showtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Dexter" on Showtime

Dexter's plan to deal with Doakes is clever, but I just can't see it being a good idea. If Doakes is let out, he'll raise enough stink to put some doubt on Dexter. It's bound to complicate Dexter's moonlighting, no matter what happens to Doakes. At the very least, LaGuerta is going to start watching him.

This show just keeps getting better and better. The truth behind Harry's death is a GREAT plot development. What is this revelation going to do to Dexter?

...and man, did you see next week's previews? I can't wait to watch it. This is going to be a long week.

Comment

Count me and the missus as huge Dexter fans. Been following it since the first season. Didn't see how they were going to top last year, but they have seriously raised the bar this second season.

From the first episode, where they show that eerie shot of all the garbage bags full of bodies scattered thruout that underwater cavern up to the last, we've been absolutely hooked. I like how the writers didn't try to one-up themselves this season by trying to make a better, bigger, badder Ice-Truck Killer. (Or in a way, they have. It's Dexter). So many great shows/movies stab themselves in the foot by trying to "top" previous seasons. Instead, they narrowed the scope to focus on the Dexter character, and in turn, have created what I think is the best show on TV.

Originally posted by zff View Post
      The truth behind Harry's death is a GREAT plot development. What is this revelation going to do to Dexter?
      I'm unconvinced that Harry committed suicide because he wasn't prepared to view Dexter as a killer. It just doesn't add up, imo, and I sensed a red herring right after viewing that scene.

...and man, did you see next week's previews? I can't wait to watch it. This is going to be a long week.
      Not sure it's ok to say here (if it's not, delete this post), but the last two episodes have been leaked on the Internet. And.... wow

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

Not sure it's ok to say here (if it's not, delete this post), but the last two episodes have been leaked on the Internet. And.... wow
        WHAT ? WHERE ? You have to spill the beans.C'mon, fess up.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

i was a bit disappointed that dexter

let doakes live

i realize he's struggling with his own code of morality but i just know it's going to come back on him!

oh, i'm gonna have to check that out! i'm so impatient!!
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

OK, I just watched both episodes. INSANE. I'm not giving anything away. Watching it all unfold is just too intense to spoil.

This show just gets more amazing, I can't wait for next season.

Comment

With the writers' strike condemning many media outlets to reruns, game shows, and "reality" programming, CBS is considering bringing "Dexter" to primetime network TV. With some edits, of course. We don't get Showtime (we only barely have basic cable), so this might be the only way I'll get a taste of this well-regarded program.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                With the writers' strike condemning many media outlets to reruns, game shows, and "reality" programming, CBS is considering bringing "Dexter" to primetime network TV. With some edits, of course. We don't get Showtime (we only barely have basic cable), so this might be the only way I'll get a taste of this well-regarded program.
                We don't have Showtime either, PZ. I just download them (utorrent) and watch it on the computer. Or, you could start off by renting the Season 1 DVDs...
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Personally, I think this would ruin the show. PZ, rent the DVD's. By the time you're done with season 1, season 2 will be available. The CBS version will be really watered down, and the real edginess of this show will be lost. A show this compelling will not benefit from FCC regulations, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Personally, I think this would ruin the show. PZ, rent the DVD's. By the time you're done with season 1, season 2 will be available. The CBS version will be really watered down, and the real edginess of this show will be lost. A show this compelling will not benefit from FCC regulations, trust me.
                    I agree. A show with the complexity of Dexter, which actually challenges viewers to think about the moral ambiguity of the main character, would be terrible on network TV. Network shows strive for the largest market audience and tend to pander to the average viewer without wanting to create any controversy or provoke any type of the contemplation that a show like Dexter demands. Everything about it would need to be dumbed down: profanity, nudity, violence. Those elements might be considered distateful to some, but in my opinion, it kneecaps a show that thrives on those elements to create something special in its tone, presentation and content. It's basically neutering it from the provocative, edgy drama it is into a sterilized shell of a show that CBS executives deem bland enough for mass consumption by Joe Schmo.

It's why I generally prefer cable television for the few shows that I catch, and while I'll watch a show like Heroes because my wife does, and generally find it relatively entertaining despite the many plot holes, this season just shows all the problems with network TV that I despise.

OK, rambling rant on network shows pau. And don't even get me started on reality TV...

Comment

Actually, I somewhat disagree. While the show would definitely lose something if it were watered down, I don't think Dexter relies as much on its adult content as a show like "The Sopranos" or even "Sex and the City" does. They're both doing ok on non-premium cable, aren't they?

In fact, sex, profanity and nudity do little to drive the plot. It's really just the violence that's integral to the story, but it seems you can get away with quite a bit of violence on network TV. (A lot more than profanity and nudity, anyway.) There's no doubt Dexter would be one of the goriest shows on network TV, and it still wouldn't be as compelling as the uncut Showtime episodes, but I think it would actually work. Mainstream American just has to be ready to side with a psychopath.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                        Actually, I somewhat disagree. While the show would definitely lose something if it were watered down, I don't think Dexter relies as much on its adult content as a show like "The Sopranos" or even "Sex and the City" does. They're both doing ok on non-premium cable, aren't they?
                        Both those shows still fall under the jurisdiction of cable, even if it is basic cable. If I understand correctly, major networks like CBS are policed by government rules and regulations, since they're leased on public air by the government. So I don't think that analogy really works.

In fact, sex, profanity and nudity do little to drive the plot. It's really just the violence that's integral to the story, but it seems you can get away with quite a bit of violence on network TV. (A lot more than profanity and nudity, anyway.) There's no doubt Dexter would be one of the goriest shows on network TV, and it still wouldn't be as compelling as the uncut Showtime episodes, but I think it would actually work. Mainstream American just has to be ready to side with a psychopath.
                        I wasn't saying that it has much of anything to do with driving the plot. Just that it helps in setting up the tone and presentation of the show. Case in point: every other word out of Doakes mouth is m***f**** this, m***f**** that. It gives you a feel for who the character is and having it dubbed or censoring it for network TV just seems.... wrong.

The nudity I don't really care about. It's nice and all, but whatevers. It's the dumbing down of the violence, gore and language that would cause the most damage, in my opinion. Seems like you can't get away with anything on network television without religious groups, cultural organizations and uptight parents getting all huhu.

If they can find a way to make it work, shoooots. But I don't see it happening and actually think it may harm the show for future seasons, if it becomes a mainstream mass hit.

Comment

Sorry zff, I'm with MArco all the way on this one.

Deb's character would be completely changed, as she herself points out in the show, she likes to curse, it's part of who she is. She would have very little in the way of dialogue without cursing.

And, seeing Dexter do his work with all the blood just really drives home the point that he is a cold blooded serial killer.

I won't even entertain the idea of watching it on CBS.

There really isn't much nudity in Dexter anyway, it's everything else that makes it "adult content".

Comment

I'm not saying the show won't lose some of its appeal. Obviously it will. I'm just saying I think it would work, even watered down to network TV standards.

I have a coworker who fell in love with Sex and the City on TBS. She's never seen the uncensored episodes on HBO, but the show still appealed to her. I've never watched the watered down Sex and the City, but from what I remember on HBO, there was quite a bit of adult content there. I can't imagine it's nearly as interesting after the censors have had their way with it, but apparently it is. I realize TBS isn't network TV, but it's much closer (censorship-wise) to network TV than it is to premium cable.

I've seen a few episodes of The Sopranos on A&E, and I'm surprised how much of the impact and drama comes across even though it's almost tame enough for network tv. The neutered show is still compelling enough to have grown into a big success for A&E. Isn't Six Feet Under doing well for Bravo too? If we go based on history, Dexter would surely be a smash hit on basic cable. I think we can all agree there.

Obviously, Dexter on CBS would be a very different show than Dexter on Showtime. Obviously, it wouldn't be as interesting, but I think people would still get the point that Doakes is hard guy, Debra is a potty mouth, Lila is crazy and Dexter is a psychopath. All the key plot points will get across, even if a little diluted. Some of what makes the show great will be lost, but MOST of what makes the show great will make it.

What you have left is a show that's, say, 60% as interesting as Dexter on premium cable. That's still gotta be 100% better than 95% of what network TV has to offer today. If they air Dexter during the doldrums created by the writers' strike (like they're planning to), when it's up against reruns and reality shows, it will surely be a smash hit.
                            Last edited by zff; December 7, 2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

First, nice to see so many of you have found and are enjoying this show. I think it's the best on the tube these days. Is it still "the tube" if I own a plasma?

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              Lila - I think she will really cross the line and jeopardize Dexter, possibly attempting to harm Rita and the kids, and he'll have no choice but to kill her.

Obviously Dexter is a serial killer, but he only kills people who have killed others in cold blood...
                              See a problem here? I think Lila's gonna die but not by Dexter's hand. Too bad. Nice eye candy. I like pale.
                              Last edited by sinjin; December 11, 2007, 10:53 AM.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I cannot stand Lila. The writers did a brilliant job of creating a character that gets under your skin. (Before Lila, Janice Soprano was top of that list for me.) I hope she dies, I hope it's by Dexter's hand, and I hope she's terrified when it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X