Ugly Betty on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ugly Betty on ABC

I love this show. I am Ugly Betty. Underappreciated in the world of print media. She's an amazing person. I am eager to see the movies mentioned. Someone asked me today if America, er Betty, is getting prettier with each episode. I dunno. Maybe she's just getting more confident? Maybe we're growing accustomed to her? Wait until those braces come off!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      ... Wait until those braces come off!
      I've said earlier that Ugly Betty reminded me of a junior high awkward me...and at the same time it's very rare that I see colleagues with a braceface like she has (with the dawn of Invisalign and all).

I know she/the show was nominated for 2 Golden Globes, so I'm hoping that she/the show does well. It's definitely one of my favorite shows this season!

And while America is in by far her breakout role of a lifetime, it still must be said that Justin (her nephew/budding fashionista) is a major showstopper!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        Someone asked me today if America, er Betty, is getting prettier with each episode. I dunno. Maybe she's just getting more confident? Maybe we're growing accustomed to her? Wait until those braces come off!

The role of Betty IMO is a person who is comfortable with the way she dresses though its not in the same boat with everyone else in the latest fashions of whats "IN" and the obvious soooooooo "OUT".... She puts up with the ridicule but she don't care but deep down from what I saw there is a smidge of self conciousness that she wants to be apart of the in-crowd. I do hope during the course of this show that Betty keeps that image of this is me and not what should be me is the winning appeal that is goin. Looks is soooooo seocndary and a winning attitude is always number one in my books.

btw anyone seen the spanish version of "La Mas Fea Bella" ? Anyways the lead role of Betty is how should I saaaay...... *woof*
        And she is such a downer....... me no like

Last edited by DannyWilliams; January 6, 2007, 06:47 AM.

Comment

America Ferrara totally deserves that Golden Globe for Ugly Betty!

Anyway...who saw last night's episode? Very exciting plot development...I so did not see that one coming!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            /snip But can anyone give a one-paragraph "what you've missed so far"? I understand the basic premise... but would love to know what subplots and relationship conflicts or connections are underway. /snip
            I find the TwoP recaps amusing and accurate. I haven't read the recaplets for UB but here ya go. Hope it's helpful.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...gory_2919.html

The first ep made me almost not watch any other ep and I do know people who couldn't get past the first ep and refused to watch anymore. But I really do enjoy the way the show has developed.

Comment

Ugly Betty is very appetizing. I am kinda question WHY it has the habit of presenting something storywise and pretend to forget about it?

Betty's Father and his immigration status and the shady lawyer that ran off with their $$$

There was no adequate closure there?

And yes The most recent show had a aweome twist at the end.

Comment

I was just talking with a friend who is a fan of "Ugly Betty." I said I enjoyed what I saw, but that I saw a pretty conventional sitcom. He insisted that it's unconventional... but couldn't articulate exactly how.

I can't figure out what sets "Ugly Betty" apart from other workplace sitcoms. Some characters are cartoon caricatures, others are sweet and endearing, there's a serving of smirks and raised eyebrows in every episode plus the occasional madcap caper. I don't think it's a bad show at all, I'm just trying to understand the critical acclaim that's based on the proposition that it's something new. I've only seen three episodes, nonconsecutive, and I'm entertained but not addicted.

In an unrelated note, our very own NemesixVex recently blogged about the character of Justin Suarez, and some hand-wringing over his sexuality.

Comment

Let me take a stab at it Ryan.
                  Sure, what we see is a Brooklyn-based Latino gal and her family. It's the fastest growing segment of American society. But Betty is every person who somehow broke through to the side of power, beauty and money, and still retains her individuality. Maybe by the end of the show, Betty isn't so ugly. Or maybe she's growing on us. I think a lot of us learn how to behave when treated poorly by those who were catapulted into their positions because of their looks. We stick to our guns, we do what's right, we even give the nasties a benefit of a doubt.
                  We're also entertained.
                  What does it deliver that merits accolades and awards? A look at a cut-throat world and an opportunity to fantasize being in it; and an opportunity to see it from the point of view of ourselves, of Betty, and managing to survive. I'm inspired by it. It gives me joy, but it also keeps me motivated at work.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Betty is no ugly duckling........ She is pure gold at heart and like the previous reply above me she can conduct business and get her way/point across and still be who she is. Trying to mold herself into what societys says she should be and the current fashions is sooooooo not her.

As for Justin I loooooooooooove that boy! Though his sexuality is rarely discussed he is soooooooo soooooooooo

Daaaaaah Gaaaaay!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                      Very exciting plot development...I so did not see that one coming!
                      The better half caught one glimpse of the eyes of our 'mystery' character and immediately knew who the actress playing the role was. All along I, and probably most of the viewers, speculated that the 'mystery' character was the presumedly dead former editor. Once I realized the actress in the part was much too young to be the former editor, I remained baffled until the very end. You will recall a few episodes ago where Daniel kept saying he knew the voice after talking to her (?) on the phone - now we know why.

Comment

I was just talking with a friend who is a fan of "Ugly Betty." I said I enjoyed what I saw, but that I saw a pretty conventional sitcom. He insisted that it's unconventional... but couldn't articulate exactly how.
                        The campiness of the show is actually a lot more exaggerated than what you might see on a sitcom, and quite a few things are pretty unconventional for the show.

Latinos are the main characters, and they're not portrayed as gangsters, day laborers or maids. The Suarez family is fairly middle class, and Betty herself is educated. Gay characters are also mainstream in this setting. (Fashion magazine?) So off the bat, Ugly Betty does a better job at portraying diversity in a positive sense than most shows.

The telenovela angle seems to be hyped up in the press, but it strikes me as an '80s prime time soap operas with a sense of humor. Kind of like what Desperate Housewives was before all the white suburban angst wrenched the humor out of it.

I wouldn't put Ugly Betty up there with Battlestar Galactica or Lost in terms distinctive storytelling, but I like how the characters each struggle with how they feel compared to how they want others to feel for them.

In an unrelated note, our very own NemesixVex recently blogged about the character of Justin Suarez, and some hand-wringing over his sexuality.
                        I was wonder where the referral was coming from.

Comment

Thanks to ABC's cache of show storage, I don't have to watch this with the girls. Kid 2, who's just 5, really likes it, but there's a bit of swearing, so it's now off her radar.
                          Anyway, I just watched the Thursday, 2/15/07 show, and my heart is just aching for some of the characters. And do you think maybe Justin's dad is actually going to make peace with the fact that his son is a diva? Will Henry's and Betty's lips EVER meet? Oh the TENSION!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                          X