• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Report from Honaunau, Hawaii

GOOD GRAVY !!!

20+ seconds of major rock & roll. Biggest I've ever felt in my 15 years living on the rock. I guessed it at 5.0. House moved almost 2 inches and nearly off some of the pier blocks. Dogs are in "weird" mode. My oldest is standing on two steps with her ass pointed up in the air, and her head hanging low. Funny. We got pictures down, and stuff flew out the cupboards. Clean up time.

Walked to the store, and drivers said rock slides up and down Mamalahoa Hwy south of here. Have not seen a firetruck or police car yet headed south.

Hope everyone is all right.
    I only heard one siren go off here in Hilo.

Comment

Yahoo News

Hope everyone's ok! I've only experienced one earthquake before, and that was a wimpy 2.2 or so It was enough for us to wonder what the heck monster truck was driving down our street and shaking the house for 5 seconds or so, but that was about it.
      Last edited by Bard; October 15, 2006, 09:14 AM. Reason: Fix URL

Comment

Manoa Safeway was open and getting swamped.

Sounds like KSSK is now the main information outlet.

Lingle was in Waikoloa (TV fell off the dresser in her hotel room), and Aiona and the cabinet are at CD in Diamond Head.

Malama Solomon calling in from the Big Island... landslides, roads closed, roof damage (Kona hospital, Wal-Mart), hotels evacuated...

Proof of the value of local radio... for a while most stations were offline or running on autopilot. Perry and Price are doing a great job.

Comment

Landlines are crazy busy over there. Tutu got a hold of mom but my father's side, I haven't heard from at all. Their cell phone voice mail boxes are automatically answering.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Oh and pz, I was checkin in on you and your 'ohana on myspace, Aunty Lynn too. Should have thought to come here first but didn't think you guys had power.

Comment

I just spoke to my mom about half an hour ago.....they were staying at the Pacific Beach hotel for her class reunion. They were on the 15th floor when it happened....my dad felt the building sway. Since there was no electricity, they walked down to the lobby and were told that the elec would be out all day. They then walked back up to the 15th floor, packed their bags and walked down. They're doing fine and were headed home...
              Lovena

Comment

More from KSSK: We're a top story on Mainland news networks... Pleas to stay off roads, phones (oops!), and to conserve water... Stories of price gouging in Waianae ($15 per pack of batteries)... various callers plugging their stores being open for business... Laments over no football on TV... People calling to provide updates and reassurances in other languages (Vietnamese, Spanish, pidgin!)...

Just like the freeway shutdown, a heck of a test of our emergency systems' preparedness. some conflicting reports, some official offices with less complete information than residents calling in...

An interesting Sunday!

Comment

New numbers released from USGS. It was a 6.6 magnitude.

Comment

Wathing it on CNN right now....hope you all are ok
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Very weak, albeit unusual shaking on Kauai this morning at around 7:10 AM. Nothing affected here, but I can't get a dang NFL game on TV. NLCS game better be on at 2.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Bigger update...

Quake knocks out power across Hawaii

Comment

I hope for the majority of you, this is a minor inconveniece. The reports coming out are sketchy but it looks like the kona side on the Big Island is feeling this the worst.

Aaron, Tim, and all others affected, hope this does not last long for ya.

Be mindful of aftershocks...........
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Holy cow! The earthquake in Hawaii was the lead story during the local 6PM news here in RI! They showed scenes from Honolulu and Kailua-Kona, along with some interviews...man, that is scary!

Comment

The Dish Network Rules !!

Local KGMB is not broadcasting the KC game. But ESPN, NFL Network, and KFVE with the Warriors from yesterday. My football game got canceled.

Power stayed on pretty much in Honaunau. Out for 1/2 hr at most. Kona Hospital got some damage I heard.

My old Single Wall Redwood Post&Beam, circa 1973, did the full Hula, but stayed on her feet. Got some posts that walked 1/2" makai on the tofu blocks. No plumbing breaks, and the propane stayed standing. (miracle?) Tied that already. Guess I will have to jack the house a little, and prolly replace with strap blocks & some concrete. Minors. One thing for sure, they don't build'em like they used to.

What a busy Sunday. I truly love all the chores associated with being a homeowner. Never ending list of things to do. I think I will end the day by mowing, since it's crystal clear today down here.

I sure love it here. South Kona is beautiful today. Aloha.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Funny....

Watching the KITV (HawaiiTV) feed thru CNN you get a calm but concerned vibe from the newsroom,

Then you switch to Fox News and it's all "FOX NEWS ALERT" and the tone is way more disasterous....

I hate Fox news, they make everything sound like the world is coming to an end. Not to make light of this, I know it's very serious, but I think Fox News paints everything with such an alarming spin.

Island residents, hope you're all ok....

http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X