Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    I wonder... would you be praising Mufi if the circumstances were different, and Lingle was out of state in an official capacity while he was on the Big Island?

Maybe you tingle for Lingle, but she sure don't tickle my pickle.

Right place at the right time. And she did exactly what she was supposed to do when she declared an emergency and rallied the federal troops.

Glad to see at least one elected official not mess things up in an emergency. Pua'i is right: She earned that bit of PR yesterday.

I guess you misunderstood my note/vote, PJ. I always like to study the "right place, right time" angle, and would have done so for Mufi.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

I wanted to see coverage of West Hawaii in this morning's KHON 2 Morning news but it was all about Oahu. It was as if the quake's epicenter was right over Honolulu with all the coverage there instead of here on the Big Island where the most damage occured...DUH the epicenter was right off shore.
      Yeah whats up with that. Obvious sign the Honolulu-centric media could care
      less about the neighbor islands.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

More earthquake pictures
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Curious how a Mainland regional affiliate covered us? Carter Evans of KOVR CBS 13 in Sacramento filed a report, mentioning that he grew up here, and even having the anchors interview his aunt, Laurie Kalles, in Honolulu. Click the two video segments presently in the right sidebar of this story.
          Kim Gennaula did her piece for Katie Couric tonight on CBS. NBC had one of theirs (I'm assuming) to cover the story -- George something, I can't remember.

...and paging Auntie Lynn! Auntie Lynn!

On NBC Nightly News they chose our neighborhood for part of their footage! They had the corner of Pua Ln. and Vineyard Blvd. on national TV tonight!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            Yeah whats up with that. Obvious sign the Honolulu-centric media could care
            less about the neighbor islands.
            That's the way it's always been and probably always will be, Aaron. The Neighbor Islands are Honolulu's poor and ugly stepsisters when it comes to getting attention. But I guess since 4/5 of the State's population reside on Oahu, it's to be expected.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/wwpsb

"Kona residents switched on their radios and televisions to try to get news but the electricity went off shortly after the earthquake. Most radio stations went off the air. Residents who were unable to get news relied on family and friends on the Mainland to relay them TV news reports.Evans said the loss of communication underscores the need for a new emergency radio station on the Big Island that residents can tune to for information when the power goes out."
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                Kim Gennaula did her piece for Katie Couric tonight on CBS. NBC had one of theirs (I'm assuming) to cover the story -- George something, I can't remember.
                [...]
                During the Today Show this morning they had a report from Howard Dashefsky.

Originally posted by helen View Post
                [...]I take it this was fire or police sirens as opposed to Civil Defense sirens?
                I saw fire and ambulance vehicles. I didn't see any police cars but that doesn't eliminate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  ...and paging Auntie Lynn! Auntie Lynn!

On NBC Nightly News they chose our neighborhood for part of their footage! They had the corner of Pua Ln. and Vineyard Blvd. on national TV tonight!
                  hahahahaha. I juss got up. I missed the ACTION! Shucks. I could have been Discovered. Why Pua Lane and Vineyard? Hmmmm...did they interview Drug Dealers? Oh! No moa now. We took back the streets. Wait...I take dat back. I lost the election. Dey going come back.

Eh. Das alright. I am still me. "Pua" but "Rich" in soooo many ways!

Three moa days till Las Vegas!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If things couldn't get worse, the Big Island is under a Flash Flood, Severe Thunderstorm watch. It came in about two hours ago. I could see flashes and dark clouds approaching over the ocean.

link
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

such as build-up at the expense of not having any nature left to enjoy, or polluting rivers because economic build-up is more important than anything else. Sometimes people really do need to push back against a selfish interest to keep it from steamrolling the public's interests, but even good things can definitely be taken too far.
                      I think the basic problem is as you said, people having lots and lots of children and then not wanting to deal with the consequences of it. (Yes, children are wonderful, but they also multiply and produce population pressure. ) I'm not sure there's a really good voluntary solution to that.

One of the ways to protect the land is to concentrate development and increase densities, while mixing uses to accomodate a mix of dwellings, businesses, retail, and public use space. It is not "self-interest" when my heart breaks for the families on the Wainae Coast, where a hard working father could afford a small apartment, if only they were being built. The last 3 story apartments built anywhere near South Kona would be Kona Coffee Villas back in the late 70's. Unfortunately, red tape roadblocks, and society's misguided desire for lower density development is not only excluding our poorest, but also destroying the aina as if it was Orange County. Have you ever seen a subdivision bulldozed and replaced with an orchard? Every time a subdivision is built, the land is destroyed, the bar of homelessness is raised, and the dependence upon the automobile is increased.

I'm not against children in any way. When they become adults, they will need dwellings. That is where the disconnect exists in the psyche of Hawaii. Old men lament the passing of rural Hawaii, then brag about 14 grandkids in the very next breath. That is pure cog diss. A single young adult needs a bed, toilet, & shower, and very little else. But where are the tiny studios or small 1 bedroom apartments?

This is a link to some court transcripts involving Life of The Land. I did not read it, so I don't even know what it's about. Anybody know about the group?
                      http://www.hawaii.gov/budget/puc/doc...2003-10-31.pdf

Bard, in response to your direct question, I can only say that when I see bad logic, or worse yet, ignorance, I am compelled to help people see things for the way they truly are. You could say I have an ax to grind, but my concern for the future means I will never stop barking, as I change the mind of one person at a time.

As for the Hokulia mudslide vs. the Earthquake Landslide in the Kealakekua Bay area, it would seem that evil developers are really no match for Mother Nature, in all her furious glory. But the scientist in me would bet the farm that the reef ecosystem in the Bay rebounds on a grand scale in a couple years due to the "fertilizing".

Shhhh, we don't want facts like that to get out. It would kill the lawyerin' business.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I agree, people need to accept that there will be population growth, even if you manage to somehow prevent any more migration. Instead of fighting development, people should channel their efforts to guiding and shaping the development. Certain areas should be allowed to be developed. By doing so, you've ensured all the other areas will remain green.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          One of the ways to protect the land is to concentrate development and increase densities, while mixing uses to accomodate a mix of dwellings, businesses, retail, and public use space.
                          So "we" need to construct rabbit hutches that will encourage squalor?

Hey, pack 'em in like rats... they ain't got no money, what the hell do they care?

Hmmm... how about working on deflating grossly inflated real estate prices?

A person such as yourself, who is so "important" in the real estate world... such a "shark" in these "show up drunk" waters... would surely want to help us "locals" out, huh?

It is not "self-interest" when my heart breaks for the families on the Wainae Coast, where a hard working father could afford a small apartment, if only they were being built.
                          When I read that, all I could think was "yeah, right."

Every time a subdivision is built, the land is destroyed, the bar of homelessness is raised, and the dependence upon the automobile is increased.
                          Yeah, because anyone and everyone remotely related to the real estate industry are driving the prices of single family home sky high.

Keep encouraging those high prices... Keep hoping for a hot real estate market...

I don't blame you. This is how you make money. Feeding off a market that is grossley over-inflated, encouraging more and more transactions... which kill any hopes for anyone wanting to buy a decently priced home.

And I don't want to hear "Oh, but if you really want to, you can buy a home here.... "

I could buy a home right now, but refuse to purely on principle. So I live (and rent) frugally, knowing full well that I'll be able to buy something soon enough at a reasonable price.

Your naivete is somewhat amusing...

I'm not against children in any way. When they become adults, they will need dwellings. That is where the disconnect exists in the psyche of Hawaii. Old men lament the passing of rural Hawaii, then brag about 14 grandkids in the very next breath. That is pure cog diss. A single young adult needs a bed, toilet, & shower, and very little else. But where are the tiny studios or small 1 bedroom apartments?
                          These types of dwellings are available. But for outrageous prices. Fueled solely by speculative buyers (and ultimately landlords)... Out to make a buck with no regard for anything except the almighty dollar. Buyers completely encouraged by anyone and everyone remotely related to the real estate industry.

Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, it makes me sick...

but...

It's a free country.

What goes around comes around...

Comment

Better to Save the Planet than the humans.
                            Another classic idiom by our resident idiot. You can’t have humans without the earth, Tim. Unless you’d like to be the first to establish a colony on Neptune. Duh.
                            Last edited by TuNnL; October 17, 2006, 05:53 AM. Reason: Realized my mistake after reading pzarquon’s post below.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I'd disagree. Like I said, it's the height of human folly to think you can't have Earth without us. It won't miss us when we're gone, and will probably throw a little party!

So. Anymore earthquake stories?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                One place Lingle forgot it seems was Honolulu International Airport where many people were stranded and no support system in place leaving many without food, water or clean toilets after hours at the terminals.
                                I’m not exactly Lingle’s biggest cheerleader, Craig, but is it really fair to blame the Guv for this? I think someone pointed out earlier that the backup system at the airport didn’t quite work right - the result of years of neglect. I’m sure the DOT has been getting an earful from her, and I agree with you that she probably has that at the top of her to-do list.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X