Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

I invited the girls over for dinner and a hot shower because when I spoke to them, Kaimuki still didn't have any power.

So they get to my house, and instead of going to the table to go eat, you know what they did? Those frickahs went straight to my laptop to go check the email and MySpace.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

If I hadn't been sick in bed between Friday after lunch and Sunday morning, this wouldn't have been such a bad day. However, all that lying around and rehydrating left me the most stir-crazy I'd been in ages. I happened to be up early Sunday because I'd had more than enough rest. When the house started vibrating, I thought, "Wow. My second earthquake." The first shake lasted close to twenty seconds. I stood in my doorway and for some reason wondered if my landlord was going to blame me for all this (it's weird what goes through your mind sometimes).

I had just posted to my online journal something that didn't format correctly, and when the shaking stopped, I sat down to fix it, but then there was a second shake, just as intense but lasting only five seconds or so. Then the power went out.

This is how out of it I was: it never occurred to me that something MAJOR was going on. I figured it was a minor problem, so I went back to bed, expecting everything to be cool when I woke up later.

At noon, I got up and saw that the power was still out. I was irked, especially since I'd just stocked my freezer with several pounds of frozen fruits and four pints of Ben & Jerry's. So I packed up my stuff and hit the road, thinking I'd do a little bit of shopping and studying, and maybe catch a movie.

The car stereo is on 105.9 (The Big Kahuna), so when I heard the voice of Frank B. Shaner, a KUMU DJ, I knew I'd underestimated the seriousness of matters. As the situation became clearer, I turned around and went home.

Besides the awful case of the stir-crazies that had me remembering Rilke's Panther, I had to remember that I was still ill and needed to keep the fluids flowing -- not as much fun when you can't open the fridge! Another frustration was watching the lights go on in nearby neighborhoods while I continued to sit in the dark.

At about 8:30 I decided to use whatever juice I had left in my laptop computer to watch a DVD, figuring that if I could get ninety minutes of entertainment out of it, I'd turn in for the night and just get up early if the power wasn't back. So I loaded up An Evening with Kevin Smith and before the end of the answer to the first question, I was bathed in glorious luminescence, and it wasn't Smith's storytelling brilliance.

Based on news reports, I'm lucky to have had such an uneventful, boring day.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Someone also called KSSK to make a veiled plug for Clearwire, offering service to civil defense officials (provided they had a power converter in their vehicles). I kind of enjoyed those little attempts for free advertising, and when Perry and Price would call them on it ("We'll invoice you.") Some were encouraged (a huli huli chicken sale, though apparently a bike cop tried to shut them down), and others were cut off.

One thing they kept asking for but I'm not sure if they got was information from HECO or someone on what the cutoffs were for dumping food from the fridge.

For those curious, here's a couple of references:
        Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency (USDA)
        Food Safety in a Power Outage (American Red Cross)

And wow! Just had power blink out for about 20 seconds here in Mililani!

Comment

Power returned to my area (Kaheka Street) around 9:40 pm.

The shaking was strange, felt one this morning while sleeping, figured it was an earthquake and thought nothing about it. The second one was more jolting and strange sounds were coming from my bathroom. Turns out that the pair of mirrors in the bathroom were virbating causing the sound and my toilet has a cleaning brush handle that is mounted on the side and that was swinging quite a distance.

Some people on my floor left their rooms to go downstairs. I figured it might be useful to pack some stuff just in case we had leave the building.

Started to turn on the PC, a third shake came by not as bad as the second and noticed that one light was dimming, turned off the PC and then all of the rest of the electrical stuff was off.

Took the stairs down and encounter some people from my floor downstairs, so we all talk story for a while then someone brings a radio and will listen to that.

After about a couple of hours I head back upstairs and stay in my room listening to a radio (which I need to get a smaller one) and waiting for the power to go back on.

Worse thing happened to me is that my refridgeator lost the door seal (I did open it once to get a bottle of water) and I dumped the contents which wasn't very much anyway. The headache was that it leaked water to the floor.

Cable service is still unavailable but at least I got hot water so I should be able to take a shower soon.

Comment

PZ, they showed the damage to the Manoa Valley Inn throughout the evening and KITV kept on mentioning that the inside was used to film scenes for LOST. Do you know which ones?
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Pictures of the earthquake damage on the Big Island :

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/share...d=2&mediaid=66
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Mahalo Aaron! It amazes me...with all the devastation ~ the reports of injuries are low. Truly a Miracle!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  PZ, they showed the damage to the Manoa Valley Inn throughout the evening and KITV kept on mentioning that the inside was used to film scenes for LOST. Do you know which ones?
                  The psychic that Claire went to see, and that Mr. Eko later went to visit was there (the doorway is unmistakable). Inside, it was also where Mr. Eko went to see the doctor with the autopsy recording, and the living room where Charlie had his nightmare with the piano and his butcher father.

I sure hope they don't need to visit that psychic again!

Comment

My local Times Supermarket was jammed pack full of people in their pajamas trying to get last minute stuff: batteries, bread, meat, soda, water, etc this morning. Infact, there weren't any carts, so I had to lug everything with two baskets. I heard that at the Waipahu Daiei, they had only one register open, and on the radio people were being gouging by a few supermarkets (the nerve of them).

If I had a power inverter for my car, then I would have posted pics and other stuff on my blog ASAP, but it was nice just to lay around on a sunday spending time with the family.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                      If I had a power inverter for my car, then I would have posted pics and other stuff on my blog ASAP, but it was nice just to lay around on a sunday spending time with the family.
                      Adrain, I'm glad everything worked out with you and your family. When something of this magnitude happens ~ it is only Ohana that we have to be with us through thick and thin. Remember that.

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        Mahalo Aaron! It amazes me...with all the devastation ~ the reports of injuries are low. Truly a Miracle!

Auntie Lynn
                        Absolutely, after it happened I thought I'd be seeing lots of damage. But
                        luckily there hasn't been any loss of life and the damage hasn't been too severe.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Governor Lindle related over the radio that the worst injury she heard about was a broken arm.

I think the worst part would be the cost in fixing up the roads and other places effected by the temors.

Comment

10:00... Manoa get's back in...Power just came back on....

It seems the second quake hit as I was posting.... I quickly hit sent and send it off!

my report of the day... felt it and woke me and wife out of bed... grabbed both my baby and her and bear hugged them.... I was so thinking something was going to fall down on us....

Prayed and just relaxed....

About 3 minutes later.... first thing I thought about was my wife has a flight to catch at 11:00.... Jumped on HT to report about the first initial earthquake...and as I was posting this at 7:15 this morning http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...01&postcount=4
                            .... the second one hit....

Within a minute after posting the thread... the electricity shut down....

Making a few calls to the airport... Hawaiian airlines... at about 8:30 to find out if everything was up and running... we headed out....

We entered the interisland terminal and went to the Drive thru check in... the first time we went... no one was there and they said the airport was closed....and my wife and I said... HUH... the radio said was open etc. less than 2 minutes ago...

Well we take the guys word for it and decide to drive around the airport to check out the actual checkin place on the 2nd floor.... sure enough... packed.... however, the Radio kept reporting that the Airport was open and flights were still running.... so as were going past the international side... I swing back around and go back to the Drive-thru check in side...and we decide...heck... the radio is saying that the airport is slowly coming back on line...etc...
                            Any rate... I'm thinking there is no way it's gonna be open... in time...etc...

After about 3 hours at the drive thru check in we gave it up and came home for the evening...

Got to play board games and spend time with the neighbors....

It started off very scary... however, now I'm glad that it has happened... because hopefully this will be a big wake up call to everyone...

And to the lady in line that was bitching to the TSA agent about why can't you guys get the power up!!! Take a fricking chill pill.... sheesh lady!

I just found this Youtube video shot by someone about some of the stuff that happened today.... it leads you right up to the evening time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcs-xTe9LcM

Comment

The AP has a great shot of Honolulu as the power started to come back on, half lit and half in darkness.

(link)

Comment

Out here in Hawaii Kai we got our power, finally, at 11:30 p.m., after having been without it since 7:40 a.m. or so. Lost a gold fish. Don't plan on opening the refrigerators until tomorrow some time!

Also, before we lost power, I had time to report the earthquake to the aforementioned website.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X