Hawai`i Syndrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai`i Syndrome?

I read this article on Yahoo News and it made me think about the people who move to Hawai`i without a clue after a nice vacation...

Re: Hawai`i Syndrome?

i think i'm starting to get attacked by microwaves... i've only been here for a month now, but i also think the cockroaches are stealing my food, and everyone on the bus looks at me like i'm from another planet

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

"The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...until you get there. When you get there, you find that the yard is filled with crabgrass!"

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        but i also think the cockroaches are stealing my food
        RAID is my best friend.

Comment

That's nut grass. The article is quite telling. But it's also a commentary on how these particular tourists are not truly prepared for the reality of this fantasy destination. Travel agents (or maybe some internet research) could prepare them somewhat.
          I have in-laws who go there frequently. They love it. But they also embrace the Rick Steve's approach to visiting: budget hotels, back streets, hole-in-the-wall eateries. The last time they were there, late spring, those labor riots were underway. They weren't close to those neighborhoods where they were occurring, and I'm fairly certain they'd go back again.
          I've never been to Japan, and really all I have to go on is Riddley Scott's POV.
          Last edited by lavagal; October 23, 2006, 08:14 PM. Reason: grammar
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The only place that ever got the better of me was Jamaica. Far more guns and blood than I'd hoped for in a vacation.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Jamacia! I’ve heard horror stories upon horror stories about that place. From knife-point robberies to a “taxi driver” that took my friend to a remote apartment building to rob him. I’ll never go there.

I love-hated paris. So used to walking into a place and being able to talk to everyone, etc. those fools. So MEAN! For what. Grrrrr.
              life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007 View Post
                RAID is my best friend.
                Don't use raid. Use a weapon and then sweep it up.

Roaches and flies: a flyswatter is best. Pick up and either toss into the trash or flush it down the toilet.

Centipedes: for kicks, I like to get them to crawl onto a pair of scissors and then administer the SNIP of DEATH. Or, use a slipper or flyswatter.

Wasps: if they are flying in the ceiling out of reach, keep nearby a can of aquanet. Hair "spritz" won't do it; you need an aerosol can. The wings will freeze up and then you can kill it. And it isn't as toxic to your system as RAID.

For ants, soap on a paper towel is great to kill off a trail! Ants immediately die because the alkalinity burns them upon contact. Keep some cheap dishwashing liquid nearby, or keep it mixed with water in a cheap spray bottle and zap&wipe.

pax

Comment

That article is so true. Paris is one place I don't care for.... the people are soooo not friendly. I don't know how they are able to maintain the tourist industry in that place. Almost everyone I know say the same thing. Just not a welcoming place to visit at all.

I don't know about going into shock ...that you need counseling... that is extreme...
                  Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                  Mark Twain

Comment

I was reading that article, just imagining some tourist watching Amelie and then going to Paris with stars in their eyes It reminded me of all the stories I hear about people getting a nice (and sheltered) vacation in Hawai`i and then moving with no research.

Comment

I know I shouldn't laugh but some parts of that article made me LOL big time! Pua'i and her description of the SNIP of DEATH didn't help my giggles either.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                        I know I shouldn't laugh but some parts of that article made me LOL big time! Pua'i and her description of the SNIP of DEATH didn't help my giggles either.
                        Well my husband and I laughed too...chalk me up to a bad egg!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I have the same problem, a great vacartion in Hawai'i, then the pull of the islands every day since. Anyone have an opinion on the book "So You Want to Live in Hawai'i" by Toni Polancy? I read through some of it (had it on library loan, had to give it back) and found it rather informative. The history and civic issues are fascinating to me, even though I'm haole. Thoughts from any residents?

oh yeah, and Pua'is insect guide... good stuff.
                          It's poison ivy, or something. We're itchy!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                            Well my husband and I laughed too...chalk me up to a bad egg!
                            I didn't see this before but I'm glad my kane and I weren't alone in our giggles. It's just me to feel bad for laughing, I think too much. I start thinking about how those poor people really believed this stuff was happening to them and were honestly paranoid. And my kane tells me, "It's funny, laugh, move on."
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

the only problem I had with oahu when I was there was the food, been living in Japan for 6 years now, I had to order kids meals everything else was enough to feed me for a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X